Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

US2 wrote: »
    I agree with the current 2 year money rankings.

did you forget to answer my question or simply choose to pretend it was never asked ?

I am curious as to how you think Smith is worthy of a top 5 spot despite never winning anything of note ever.

What constitutes your criteria to being a great player ?
    Surely major titles won would be the main criteria ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

did you forget to answer my question or simply choose to pretend it was never asked ?

I am curious as to how you think Smith is worthy of a top 5 spot despite never winning anything of note ever.

What constitutes your criteria to being a great player ?
    Surely major titles won would be the main criteria ?

I clearly answered it when I said i agree with the 2 year money rankings. Smith is where he is because of how well he played and how far he got in tournaments over the last 2 years

I never mentioned "great" player. I said currently. Historical tournaments are irrelevant in current rankings

And I clearly said the rankings are a joke system when a jobber, which is all he is currently, can reach the top 5 in the world without ever winning a single thing of note.

I also believe multiple players below him in the rankings are not only better, but dont act like a stroppy child when things are not going his way....and wait for it.....players that have actually won proper majors.

As for your "historical tournament" rubbish, every tournament is "historical" as soon as it is over.
    The likes of Aspinall, Price, gurney, all have won majors in the last 36 months, hardly a lifetime ago.

I put actual winners of trophies ahead of stroppy chokers who never won anything....guess winning actual trophies is an integral part of being a top player...who would have guessed.

History will remember players like rod Harrington for example as a former major winner.
    Baxter will be the runner up who never won anything.

History will remember Taylor, Lewis, Ando, Wade, Bristow and all the winners.
    While Jenkins, Mason, Mardle Baxter etc will just be remembered as players who made up the numbers who won nothing despite their "potential"

Unless Chizzy and Smith get their act together and stop being chokers, they are the new jenkins, mardle..etc

I don't understand your logic. Adrian Lewis has been absolute ****e the last few years but youd have him at the top end of current rankings for titles he won 9 years ago? Now you're bringing up retired players and even dead ones. Im out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Calm down kids...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

I lost my comb here anyone find it?

I don't understand your logic. Adrian Lewis has been absolute ****e the last few years but youd have him at the top end of current rankings for titles he won 9 years ago? Now you're bringing up retired players and even dead ones. Im out.

Where did i say Lewis was currently a top player ?
    Thats right I did not.

I said history will remember him as a winner because of what he won.
    The same history will the losers like jenks, mason mardle, baxter, white etc, and soon chizzy and smith

You keep avoiding answering why you think smith is so good.
    He has won nothing so enlighten me as to why a person who has never won a thing of note is top 5 in the world, since you agree with the rankings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MOD NOTE: Justin I've warned you before about using names like Bellyboy. It's not permitted on this forum. Anymore and you'll be taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Slightly better draws for the Irish lads today:
    Clemens vs Lennon
    Teehan vs Edgar
    O'Connor vs Menzies

Lennon probably the toughest draw

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Slightly better draws for the Irish lads today:
    Clemens vs Lennon
    Teehan vs Edgar
    O'Connor vs Menzies

Lennon probably the toughest draw

Willie will need a good run today or can probably forget about the matchplay.

• Advertisement

Jason Lowe is going to be a top player. If he doesn't pick up a title this week I'm sure he will soon

Dolan out first round to ward. Carling knocked out durrant too. Micky Mansel also knocked out Rob Cross

Dolan out first round to ward. Carling knocked out durrant too. Micky Mansel also knocked out Rob Cross

Lennon beats Clemens handily, Teehan hammered by Matthew Edgar 6-0

Lennon plays Steve Brown next round

O'Connor lost 6-4

Aaron beeny wins his first ever professional game. Delighted for the lad after all the abuse he was getting for winning his card with such a low average at Q school.

Nathan Derry now the only player on the tour yet to win a game this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Aaron beeny wins his first ever professional game. Delighted for the lad after all the abuse he was getting for winning his card with such a low average at Q school.

Fair play to him but Scott Waites averaged a miserable 77 to Beeney's 81. Waites is such a hot and cold player.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Fair play to him but Scott Waites averaged a miserable 77 to Beeney's 81. Waites is such a hot and cold player.

I doubt he cares hes after beating a two time world champ and former PDC major winner. Hopefully it gives him confidence to improve his game a bit now.

what a surprise...

smith and chisnall out early.....those players that never won a thing of note in the pdc

some tasty games coming up including Wade -v- MVG

Smith won 4 euro tours which are on stage with crowd and cameras. He won a TV tournament in Australia along with a few pro tours. World championship finalist. Premier league finalist.

Over 100 players on the tour could only dream of being half as successful as him.

Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something:)

Smith won 4 euro tours which are on stage with crowd and cameras. He won a TV tournament in Australia along with a few pro tours. World championship finalist. Premier league finalist.

Over 100 players on the tour could only dream of being half as successful as him.

Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something:)

You can rattle of his minor events like euro tours, which has been the highlight of his career., which only proves my point.

you can try hoodwink people in to thinking an invitational non ranking world series event in Australia is something special

But the fact is he is the pdc #5 and has never won a proper major in his entire career. Every proper final he has got to he has lost in. Neither has Ian White, nor Dave chisnall won anything of note.
    They are todays versions of Terry Jenkins, Ronnie Baxter, chris Mason., Wayne Mardle etc, players hyped for their "potential" that all failed to deliver.

If Smith ever does win majors, then I will accept he is a top player, but until you win actual proper trophies you are not a top player, simple as that.

• Advertisement

smith played Wade in the quarters.

Wade beat him yet again, that is now 17 wins in 21 games for wade over smith.

Joe Murnan sent MVG packing 6-3 in the early rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Good luck to Dave Clark , done a lot for darts on sky

https://twitter.com/daveclarktv/status/1282374305825861632?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Always came across really likeable when he was interviewed over the years on Newstalk and he has a great knowledge of sports , I've pretty much grown up with him on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loved Dave Clark as a presenter and made it look so easy, the fact he had a serious illness made it even more amazing

im guessing Laura Woods will be doing it full time now,happy enough with that :D:D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Loved Dave Clark as a presenter and made it look so easy, the fact he had a serious illness made it even more amazing

im guessing Laura Woods will be doing it full time now,happy enough with that :D:D

Jaqui Oakley works with sky now for the football would love to see her get the darts gig too. She's very good on itv you can tell she loves darts .

never liked him.

Always thought he was rubbish and said so long years before he was ever diagnosed.
    Remember he took over the darts from Jeff Stelling who was far better, so Dave always felt a poor replacement, and when he was diagnosed, there was no way Sky would replace him, no matter how rubbish he was.

Matchplay tomorrow,who you guys fancy to win it apart from mvg ?.

bassy wrote: »
    Matchplay tomorrow,who you guys fancy to win it apart from mvg ?.

Surely the ex bdo lads like durrant have a good chance.....they are well used to playing in front of no one :D

Surely the ex bdo lads like durrant have a good chance.....they are well used to playing in front of no one :D

Your gonna upset a few Justin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

never liked him.

Always thought he was rubbish and said so long years before he was ever diagnosed.
    Remember he took over the darts from Jeff Stelling who was far better, so Dave always felt a poor replacement, and when he was diagnosed, there was no way Sky would replace him, no matter how rubbish he was.

Which is a fair enough point i guess. But you rubbished him before while ridiculing the disease that he has which is frankly disgusting.

Advertisement