Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mankteln wrote: »
    I've already admitted I'm doing something wrong.
    What should I do though? Accelerate up the hard shoulder? Or just pull directly out into the lane oncoming traffic that's going 80km faster than me?

I'd love to know your solution for this slip road that you've clearly never been on

You can use the hard shoulder when one is present and you've run out of lane to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭bmc58

joujoujou wrote: »

Well done the Gardai on this one.Too many people around Ireland abusing the DDAI pass.More of this please.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I wonder why is the indicator usage not enforced? Surely this is a road hazard, people not indicating (and some indicating incorrectly) where they are going. Majority of people either do not use and even worse, do not know how to use an indicator around the roundabout.

Indicators are not optional.

Some people just don't care.They think they are the only person on the road.You can't beat ignorance.

joujoujou wrote: »

No mercy to be shown for this twit.Make him pay for the cone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

bmc58 wrote: »
    Some people just don't care.They think they are the only person on the road.You can't beat ignorance.
    It's unreal, when you think about it it's that they literally can't be bothered to lift a finger for other people on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I wonder why is the indicator usage not enforced? Surely this is a road hazard, people not indicating (and some indicating incorrectly) where they are going. Majority of people either do not use and even worse, do not know how to use an indicator around the roundabout.

Indicators are not optional.

It's particularly bad in Cork in my experience. Drives me nuts.

That and their version of the M50 (the N40) is worse than ours from a driving standards point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,642 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What should I do though? Accelerate up the hard shoulder? Or just pull directly out into the lane oncoming traffic that's going 80km faster than me?

I'd love to know your solution for this slip road that you've clearly never been on
    There's no solution specific for each slip road.
    The law for slip roads and merging to a motorway is that the traffic on the motorway has right of way, you should use the slip road to build up speed and merge. Use the hard shoulder if your car is not capable of building speed sufficiently. Do not stop, this is dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

ELM327 wrote: »
    The law for slip roads and merging to a motorway is that the traffic on the motorway has right of way, you should use the slip road to build up speed and merge. Use the hard shoulder if your car is not capable of building speed sufficiently. Do not stop, this is dangerous driving.

There is, Standardisation. The minimum length of slip road should be far longer than many currently are. People have, and will be killed on our roads because someone decided to save a bit of tarmac.

Here's an example. Joining the N17 to go South. The tight lead in, earthworks, and bridge and badly placed sign make almost the entire sliproad unsighted to both cars on the 100km/h road, and cars joining.

There is no hard shoulder. Even the Focus in the Google maps screenshots is crawling, and the camera care moves out slowly. I defy anybody to join at this junction safely during a busy period, without slowing down or even stopping.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5261882,-8.87117,3a,75y,81.55h,86.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s104nA9mJ7vmvk55oJAtEYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.526976,-8.8697191,3a,75y,241.9h,84.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Adub9r56fidLuXMqUsdxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    I always wonder how Dublin City Council managed to get their hands on those F series tow trucks. Or more specifically, why

Seeing it around, I had always thought that there was a big dose of ego involved in its purchase, and probably the need to spend the last of a budget that year.

Not sure what a flatbed with crane can lift but I'd say a pickup would push the limits of the crane, so I guess this has its uses.

But you can't just tow an Auto car that's in Park.

My (hybrid) car manual specifically states that it cannot be towed except a very short distance in absolute emergencies to get it out of danger, and even then it would have to be out of Park. I wonder would they just tow it anyway and not care, as they appear to have done here?

Out of pure interest, I'd love to see how they handle a bill from the manufacturer with a report stating that the gearbox was damaged due to towing.

Earlier in this thread someone (who's familiar with the exit) said their car is 200bhp and still can't get up speed to merge safely on it. So the issue isn't exclusive to my car.
    I've already recognised what I'm having to do is dangerous which is why I was complaining about it. It's also an offence to drive on the hard shoulder (3 penalty points I think?) so a junction that's been so badly designed that merging traffic has to sometimes commit an offence by either stopping or drive up the hard shoulder is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Earlier in this thread someone (who's familiar with the exit) said their car is 200bhp and still can't get up speed to merge safely on it. So the issue isn't exclusive to my car.
    I've already recognised what I'm having to do is dangerous which is why I was complaining about it. It's also an offence to drive on the hard shoulder (3 penalty points I think?) so a junction that's been so badly designed that merging traffic has to sometimes commit an offence by either stopping or drive up the hard shoulder is a disgrace.

Think they get nicknamed "suicide ramp". A few years ago on the Sbound on ramp at Exit 6 on the M50 a woman was killed when she was hit by a truck while merging. They redesigned the ramp a few weeks later and its now much safer. Why these ramps even still exist is a mystery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It's unreal, when you think about it it's that they literally can't be bothered to lift a finger for other people on the road!

Some people seem to never use them amd should be taken into the woods and shot.

But a while ago i figured out why it is happening here (and in the UK) so much more than on the continent.

I blame RHD in cases where you need to change gear and indicate (on bigger roundabouts this does happen) which is of course impossible to do at the same time as you only can either indicate or change gear with your left hand.

LHD is simple, change gear with right, indicate with left. As you said, it only needs the lift of a finger.

So in order to tackle this problem, change to LHD worldwide or make an automatic gearbox compulsory on RHD.
    Because then there is really no excuse anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tuxy wrote: »
    I've had to stop before because other cars merging from the same slip road did so at about 30 km/h meaning I had to wait for a larger gap to make it on safely.

You need to keep quite a good distance from the cars in front from an early stage. Then you have enough room to build up speed without anything in your way. That’s the key.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

inforfun wrote: »

But a while ago i figured out why it is happening here (and in the UK) so much more than on the continent.

I blame RHD in cases where you need to change gear and indicate (on bigger roundabouts this does happen) which is of course impossible to do at the same time as you only can either indicate or change gear with your left hand.

LHD is simple, change gear with right, indicate with left. As you said, it only needs the lift of a finger.

So in order to tackle this problem, change to LHD worldwide or make an automatic gearbox compulsory on RHD.

Depends on the make of car. Some are one way, others are the other. Same with filler caps for fuel. I think it depends on the home country whether it is LHD or RHD. Many the time I have got into a hire car and indicated to leave the car park only to set the wipers to clean the windows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why are you accelerating high enough to change gear on a round about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Whatever the reason is, that's not it. How the fcuk did you think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

is there a hard shoulder? I don’t see one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.526976,-8.8697191,3a,75y,241.9h,84.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Adub9r56fidLuXMqUsdxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Opens on opposite side of road but simple to move to other side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The first roundabout i take after leaving work is one of those double lane. big ass ones. I almost always have to wait and so i enter the roundabout in 1st gear.
    And then i need to change gear and leave the roundabout at the same moment.

That is why.
    emeldc wrote: »
    Whatever the reason is, that's not it. How the fcuk did you think of that.

Because it has happened to myself that i had to choose between changing gear and indicating.
    And then i thought... i never had that problem that when i had LHD.
    Depends on the make of car. Some are one way, others are the other. Same with filler caps for fuel. I think it depends on the home country whether it is LHD or RHD. Many the time I have got into a hire car and indicated to leave the car park only to set the wipers to clean the windows.

I have drive many different brands over the years, lots of rentals. never had the indicator on the right.
    So i dont have that experience
    Mercedes auto "stick" had me fooled a few times as it can be at the place where you expect the wiper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even on small roundabouts I don't think it's advised to stay in first gear.

Indicators should be on the right hand side in countries that drive on the left but that would cost the motor industry money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I wonder how the whole of Japan, Australia, and the UK manage to negotiate roundabouts in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

In Japan the indicator stalk is on the right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pablo128 wrote: »
    I wonder how the whole of Japan, Australia, and the UK manage to negotiate roundabouts in that case.

Japanese DM cars I have driven have the indicator stalk on the right hand side.

tuxy wrote: »
    Even on small roundabouts I don't think it's advised to stay in first gear.

Indicators should be on the right hand side in countries that drive on the left but that would cost the motor industry money.

How long are you spending in first gear? Even when starting off from the top of the line, I'm in second as I'm on the round about.

Sounds like a serious dangerous dilemma to me.But you have to get out into traffic somehow.Glad I'm not in that situation.

If you're stopping on a slip road you're doing something wrong.

Ah,come on.If theres a constant stream of traffic moving 80km's faster than you what can you do??Barge right into it?Look at junction 10 Mahon on the N40 for what happens.Three crashes this week alone.Traffic trying to squeeze in to traffic already going too fast and over the speed limit.People need to cop on and slow down at these merging areas and let people out into the flow.It's all impatience and this my piece of road and youre not joining it while I'm here.

You can use the hard shoulder when one is present and you've run out of lane to merge.

Thought you're not allowed to drive in the hard shoulder?

Not for the fun of it but if the slip road runs out it is better to go on on the hard shoulder than come to a full stop.
    When i was learning to drive, it was actually the rule to keep going on the hard shoulder if needed. Still is where i got my drivers license in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve honestly never been in this situation and I do big mileage. It’s entirely down to technique and being able to judge your position, the speed of the traffic, actually using the power your car has, and not driving close to the car in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’ve honestly never been in this situation and I do big mileage. It’s entirely down to technique and being able to judge your position, the speed of the traffic, actually using the power your car has, and not driving close to the car in front of you

It's the only place I've ever had to do it, and I do a lot of driving myself (over 70k km in the last 18 months around the country).
    Totally agree about the not driving too close to the car in front, I never understand why people will drive right up behind a slow moving vehicle going down a slip road, your far better to leave a gap sufficient that you can accelerate up to the speed of traffic on the motorway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement