Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I LIONS vs Blues: Wed @ 08h35

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hayes for backs coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still haven't seen the replay of it, but what was going on with the final line-out? It looked to me as if they got their calls wrong rather than Best overthrowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

.ak wrote: »
    Maybe - we don't know that for sure though.

Yes we do. For the millionth time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38172413

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Still haven't seen the replay of it, but what was going on with the final line-out? It looked to me as if they got their calls wrong rather than Best overthrowing it.

Completely. There was a complete mess up. I didn't know what was happening as the jumpers didn't even appear close to being ready for the throw. If Itoje called it, then it's a complete systems failure. If he didn't, Best obviously heard something and misunderstood it.

There was something amiss there though. The last throw from Owens before going off was very similar with a real lack of cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Completely. There was a complete mess up. I didn't know what was happening as the jumpers didn't even appear close to being ready for the throw. If Itoje called it, then it's a complete systems failure. If he didn't, Best obviously heard something and misunderstood it.

There was something amiss there though. The last throw from Owens before going off was very similar with a real lack of cohesion.

Coreolis Effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sure is. The Blues are terrible compared to every other NZ team

Oi. Watch you say about the Blues. They have achieved something no other NZ Super Rugby team has ever done.

I can't really give a critical analysis of the match. I was too busy screaming at the TV and jumping around. The one thing I did notice is that the back play is muck. I obviously watch a lot of NH* rugby and I know there are quality players in the Lions so how have they only managed two tries against two defensively poor sides.

* I was going to say second division rugby :D but I thought that might be rubbing IBF's nose in it a bit too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Only saw the one viewing but it looked to me like Best rushed the throw.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Coreolis Effect

is this a "thing" now? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hard to see anything other than a 3 test mauling.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Oi. Watch you say about the Blues. They have achieved something no other NZ Super Rugby team has ever done.

I can't really give a critical analysis of the match. I was too busy screaming at the TV and jumping around. The one thing I did notice is that the back play is muck. I obviously watch a lot of NH* rugby and I know there are quality players in the Lions so how have they only managed two tries against two defensively poor sides.

* I was going to say second division rugby :D but I thought that might be rubbing IBF's nose in it a bit too much.

well done YR, your boys did very well today.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is this a "thing" now? ;)

It's hard enough to win in New Zealand without them screwing around with gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maybe - we don't know that for sure though.

Yeah it's a shame, when you see the coaching ticket they're all ex-forwards afaik, it's no wonder they're trying to play it up the jumper.

Well Townsend has confirmed that he turned it down.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

they hold their own physically but not skillswise.

theres not many NH hookers who can make line breaks from rucks like parsons did today. Itoje is probably the only lion forward that i would say has the basic skill level to challange for a AB place.

Im sure they take Furlong as well just cos hes a leg-bag.

Luatuas inside off load to SBW made that last try... and then it was West's familiarity with sonny that allowed him to his his shoulder at just the right time to take the second off load.

The lions forwards will also be better matched on saturday

things arent going to get any easier for the lions

This argument annoys me, putting it down to familiarity. The Barbarians were a scratch team last week and showed more intelligence and linked up far better than the Lions.

IMO it is a basic skills problem. NZ players don't need 4 or 5 games with each other to figure out how to do anything more than the most basic of passing moves. I really think in the NH players are coached far too much around pre-determined phase moves and not enough off the cuff stuff, and that just doesn't work with the Lions.

Yea the familiary may have helped a bit but a lot of it was down to great skill. SBW knowing how to hit the line and offload, West knowing that line to run. Just seeing what was in front of them and having the skill to exploit it. No worrying about passing the ball in your own half, no percentage plays of kicking it down field for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

By all accounts Gregor Townsend turned them down. Howley and Farrell weren't forwards.

I was referring to everyone but Howley - sorry should've been clearer.

Also Farrell played league so that makes him a forward by proxy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 GrainneArd

If this keeps up the confidence levels going into the test matches will be zero. Indeed confidence levels going into the third game of the series will be low. And the trouncing they will get in the media in the coming days won't help. To have a bunch of amateurs rip through your defence last Saturday and to be able to score only one try against the most porous defence in Super Rugby is damning. There wasn't an inkling of any ideas from the back three this morning, nor at the weekend. And this is unlikely to change. I think the Lions will be laughed out of NZ as a team that hasn't an interesting idea in its armoury. Beef but no brains would sum it up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

awec wrote: »
    Fair point. Not only is it aids to watch as a spectator but it isn't working at all.

That final try from the Blues today, there is no hope of seeing this Lions team score anything like that. Too much of this percentage play muck. Too many players who just run straight for the nearest defender, too many guys happy to constantly kick it away.

Nowell was the worst player on the field but I have to say Henshaw was completely outshone and outdone by his opposite number.

Well tbf Henshaw is a very good player, but SBW could easily be the best center in the world. Only thing that stops that being certain is he changes codes and has other sporting activities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

https://twitter.com/golfcentraldoc/status/872396346292137984

I was referring to everyone but Howley - sorry should've been clearer.

Also Farrell played league so that makes him a forward by proxy.

Chris Ashton, Andy Farrell, Kyle Eastmond, Ben Te'o, Chris Ashton and world renowned try scoring superstar winger Chris Ashton. All converts, all played in the backs. Not every league player is Brad Thorn!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That clip looks to me like it was Itoje's fault. He tried to be clever, calling it as he walked into the line. Best saw that and threw it but neither Marler nor Sinckler were even in position to lift. They tried to get him up into the air in time but came nowhere near getting him up to it.

Jason Robinson if you co back a bit further, one of the best backs in the NH and a league convert.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am not sure what the tweet is about, if anything it shows the throw was fine.

Jason Robinson if you co back a bit further, one of the best backs in the NH and a league convert.

If we're talking of players of that calibre, can't forget Brian Carney

Yes, it was. The lifters weren't switched on and mullered it. Borthwick will have to break out the coloured blocks and giant letter-cards again and go over the calls with the props a bit slower next time.

The timing was completely arseways, probably from all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That clip looks to me like it was Itoje's fault. He tried to be clever, calling it as he walked into the line. Best saw that and threw it but neither Marler nor Sinckler were even in position to lift. They tried to get him up into the air in time but came nowhere near getting him up to it.

That's what it looks like to me too. The throw seemed fine and even Itoje seemed to be in place. The lifters just didn't seem to know it was meant to happen that quick.

depends on whatever the timing scheme was, but usually when someone walks late into the line out with the lifters set, the throw should be immediate, as it was.

I think sinckler might have been the issue as he doesnt turn to face itoje in time.... and itoje never gets his hands ups up as hes unbalanced.. so its hard to know if it was over his arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Martin Offiah. Started in Union, went to League, came back to Union.
    Jonathan Davies too.

League, just like Union, can teach a player how to be a better player in the opposite code.

depends on whatever the timing scheme was, but usually when someone walks late into the line out with the lifters set, the throw should be immediate, as it was.

I think sinckler might have been the issue as he doesnt turn to face itoje in time.... and itoje never gets his hands ups up as hes unbalanced.. so its hard to know if it was over his arc.

I think the timing was off on both. Normally you can survive one or the other being late though if you get the lift while your momentum is right, so I reckon both were late.

Difficult though for props to cover such a massive distance like that, they really had to cover a lot of ground to get to Itoje from where they were standing, poor fellows.

I dunno why they needed a convoluted move like that anyway. Just secure the ball and maul it and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As has been pointed out a few times, he wanted Gregor Townsend but Townsend declined. Got stuck with Howley then, there wasn't a whole lot of other choices.

If this were a project decision the "do nothing" option would have been tabled.
    In a "Howley vs Nothing" Option, Nothing would have won out wide.

Advertisement