Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

B&I LIONS vs Blues: Wed @ 08h35

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

P 45 for Gatland:D

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for posters who dont watch super rugby

the blues are the poorest NZ side who constantly leak tries.
    it doesnt bode well that the lions could only score 1 try and that was a 5 m maul.

Serious questions need to be asked of howley.
    The backs line seemed to play extermely deep, very much a 45 deg line, but there was very little imagination within it to open up space.

No point complaining about the last lineout, better team won.

That's poor, better than last week but Lions really struggling.

Really enjoyable game.

All that matters is the tests but this is starting to look like a potential disaster originating in the coaching selection. Gatland seemed rattled in the press conferences this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Had to be Best really. Poor guy.

I think Sexton is playing like a drain, doesn't inspire any confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Irish reps performed well today IMO. Payne injury is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Saturday is gonna be very interesting now

It'll be close to the first team but I don't think they'll win.

It's unfortunate because the Lions need a decent tour here for the sake of the concept. If they end up losing the series 3-0 and a few of the midweek matches, it's going to be a body blow for the future of the Lions. It's all based on money now but the interest and financing will be impacted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

:rolleyes:

A well constructed argument :rolleyes:
    I suppose since you were defending another terrible fb, I suppose you have no problem with terrible defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was very pleased to see McGrath go so well. Thought Henshaw and Payne worked well together as they usually do. Payne's injury is a killer. Hope it isn't serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

shuffol wrote: »
    Had to be Best really. Poor guy.

I think Sexton is playing like a drain, doesn't inspire any confidence.

I thought Sexton played well and was much better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

irishman86 wrote: »
    I suppose since you were defending another terrible fb, I suppose you have no problem with terrible defenders

It's nearly impossible to tackle a guy going at that speed in that much space. The fullback has no chance. Give it a rest.

Buer wrote: »
    It's unfortunate because the Lions need a decent tour here for the sake of the concept. If they end up losing the series 3-0 and a few of the midweek matches, it's going to be a body blow for the future of the Lions. It's all based on money now but the interest and financing will be impacted.

Nah. This tour is generating huge interest, the last two series have been really competitive, the concept is perfectly safe for now. Lions historically have a pretty poor record, losing this would be par for the course.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    Halfpenny hadn't a chance, to be fair to him.

Look at it again, he stepped about 2 seconds to early, we are just used to our own doing it I suppose. Have a look at Smith playing us in a few weeks and see if he does it

irishman86 wrote: »

No point debating with you Flounce, think what you like.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Lions back play is going to be their achilles heel.

From 9 outwards it just isn't good enough. Bereft of ideas and have to resort to just kicking it away after a few phases of going sideways.

If a game was 80 minutes of scrums we'd be sorted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is just going to get worse and worse, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

We are playing experimental sides against teams playing their cup finals.
    Wait until we play the All Blacks before judging our British Lions

Buer wrote: »
    It'll be close to the first team but I don't think they'll win.

They say that every tour though, they can expect to win every tour. As long as it brings in the mula its fine

sydthebeat wrote: »
    for posters who dont watch super rugby

the blues are the poorest NZ side who constantly leak tries.
    it doesnt bode well that the lions could only score 1 try and that was a 5 m maul.

Serious questions need to be asked of howley.
    The backs line seemed to play extermely deep, very much a 45 deg line, but there was very little imagination within it to open up space.

I'd agree about the backline playing deep. There were numerous instances I noticed where there was an opportunity down the blindside but they needed somebody to take the ball flat, instead it was a looped pass to a forward standing deep so as to have a good run at his opposite number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The Blues were very poor. Their basics are very weak. But if you can pass and offload the ball you will always create opportunities.

Lions are on a difficult path now. If they come up against a solid scrum/lineout 50/60 points will be put on them.

The lack of creativity in the northern hemisphere is really poor. Even the French no longer have it.

Not a single backline move/decoy off of a set piece.

Good to see pace and flair win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

iT WAS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT 1ST OFF

But execution and the speed of play has to be 100%
    The skill of pass and play, breakdown everything has to be improved to keep the pressure at breaking point to stand a chance a breaking clear of the super teams and the Maori
    Worry about the test games later

It's nearly impossible to tackle a guy going at that speed in that much space. The fullback has no chance. Give it a rest.

Nah. This tour is generating huge interest, the last two series have been really competitive, the concept is perfectly safe for now. Lions historically have a pretty poor record, losing this would be par for the course.

Its really isnt nearly impossible, plenty of other fullbacks would have made it. Give it a rest defending him

• Advertisement

No point debating with you Flounce, think what you like.

I will think what I like, expecially when its correct and your argument is ":rolleyes:"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Isn't Rob Howley the backs coach? Good luck getting a cohesive attacking strategy out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is just going to get worse and worse, isn't it?

Hopefully, I was a bit worried after the first game but things are looking up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

showpony1 wrote: »
    We are playing experimental sides against teams playing their cup finals.
    Wait until we play the All Blacks before judging our British Lions

Who are "our British Lions"?

Kanrith wrote: »
    I thought Sexton played well and was much better today.

I'm struggling to think of any real positive impacts he had on the game, we got a poor return on his kicking from hand and he's struggling with his touch finders from penalties. The last one should've been right in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

vienne86 wrote: »
    Irish reps performed well today IMO. Payne injury is worrying.

Wonder will Ringrose be parachuted in Payne ruled out
    Be a shame as he was having a very good game

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    The Lions back play is going to be their achilles heel.

From 9 outwards it just isn't good enough. Bereft of ideas and have to resort to just kicking it away after a few phases of going sideways.

If a game was 80 minutes of scrums we'd be sorted.

It's not bereft of ideas, the kicking is the idea.

How many times did Webb kick long without the ball even going out to the back line? I imagine they have a plan of the scrum half kicking unless they're in the opposition half and only trying to move the ball when they're within 30-40m of the opposition try line.

For context, Webb kicked twice as many times as Sexton and Biggar combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Well beaten by the poorest side in the NZ conference. Can't wait until Saturday. :D

Crusaders.
    They are a storm waiting
    The lions locks played really well
    Cj, not so much,
    Conor M in at 9
    Farrell start 10 and beef up your midfield and back 5 with speed and bulk
    60/40 mix
    front row a combo of IRL/ENG any 6 of them could start

but i'll say it again, the pressure has to be at breaking point 100% for 80mins or they will be exposed by the creme of ALL super rugby teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Personally I'm lukewarm about the Lions concept.

Old enough to remember the amateur days, when international games were few and far between and when for the amateur player selection for the Lions allowed them to live as professional players. Tours also involved playing many local matches throughout whatever country was being toured. Access to the players was important,

These days international games are two a penny. The rugby season is far longer. And Lions tours don't visit much of the country where they are touring and they don' play against local teams anymore. Plus it's a money spinner.

• Advertisement

two lovely offloads in the one move for that winning try.

Advertisement