Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Local authority SEO competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Got placed 392 in the SEE comp but they said that they will be calling for interview based on the order of merit. The way I read it is the order of merit is the tests! They haven't looked at the CV's (application docs) yet. Am I right, so basically it doesn't matter what you do in your job it's down to the 12 mins in the test......or am i wrong

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Got placed 392 in the SEE comp but they said that they will be calling for interview based on the order of merit. The way I read it is the order of merit is the tests! They haven't looked at the CV's (application docs) yet. Am I right, so basically it doesn't matter what you do in your job it's down to the 12 mins in the test......or am i wrong

It certainly sounds that way. I'm going to appply for Chief Vetrinary Officer or some other competition I am not qualified for using an SEP application just to see if I get asked to do an aptitude test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

While I wait back to hear from my PAS regarding my email to them I was just wondering if anybody got anywhere in the region of the following scores and if so where you placed on the SEO panel?

Management Scenario 6650
    Verbal Reasoning 4685

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MurfballEng

PAS just told me that the SEE competition wont be going ahead before the new year either :/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

I understand for a previous post 664 made the cut in the SEO competition - will all of these be called for the next stage? if not where would an educated guess put the cut-off?

• Advertisement

I understand for a previous post 664 made the cut in the SEO competition - will all of these be called for the next stage? if not where would an educated guess put the cut-off?

A rational assumption would suggest that they might actually scrutinise the applications now and cull a number of applicants such as those under qualified or Engineers/Planners etc.
    Based on the bizarre way the PAS/LGMA are operating though, you could have hundreds called or just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

A rational assumption would suggest that they might actually scrutinise the applications now and cull a number of applicants such as those under qualified or Engineers/Planners etc.

This would explain why they keep signing off their messages with:

An invitation to attend any part of the selection process is not to be taken as implying that the Public Appointments Service is satisfied that you fulfil the eligibility requirements of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 monreaghlad

I got called for interview next Friday, for Senior Engineer - really short notice - main interview, no prelim interview - strange

I got called for interview next Friday, for Senior Engineer - really short notice - main interview, no prelim interview - strange

Where were you placed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 monreaghlad

In the 30s

• Advertisement

In the 30s

Well done, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

I am 470 in SEE order of merit. I am acting SEE at the moment. I know lads who are 11 years acting SEEs and are about 300 or so in SEE order of merit .they might not get an interview!. This is a crock of **** in my opinion.
    They are way more people unhappy with this process than happy people. I think a stand should be made. our career futures cannot be determined by this mindless shortlisting exercise.
    PAS should recruit whoever they need to recruit on a short term basis to at least examine all the applyication forms and shortlist on that basis . It comes down to fairness and this is not fair.

Moggaman wrote: »
    I am 470 in SEE order of merit. I am acting SEE at the moment. I know lads who are 11 years acting SEEs and are about 300 or so in SEE order of merit .they might not get an interview!. This is a crock of **** in my opinion.
    They are way more people unhappy with this process than happy people. I think a stand should be made. our career futures cannot be determined by this mindless shortlisting exercise.
    PAS should recruit whoever they need to recruit on a short term basis to at least examine all the applyication forms and shortlist on that basis . It comes down to fairness and this is not fair.

So it doesn't suit you, so there must be something wrong? Were you happy with the process until you got your results?

Also not everyone on here is a public sector work, although we hope to be!

So it doesn't suit you, so there must be something wrong? Were you happy with the process until you got your results?

Also not everyone on here is a public sector work, although we hope to be!

I mean it's unfair to all... public and private.there are plenty of super competent private sector engineers that don't get a chance because of a 12 min test. Surely you agree it's a hideous way to shortlist.. my belief is that people's application forms should at least be read. I would like to think if I was 50th in the order of merit the I would have the same belief..

I mean it's unfair to all... public and private.there are plenty of super competent private sector engineers that don't get a chance because of a 12 min test. Surely you agree it's a hideous way to shortlist.. my belief is that people's application forms should at least be read. I would like to think if I was 50th in the order of merit the I would have the same belief..

It is terrible, I know one fella who scored well during the on-line testing, and then just had a bad day during the supervised tests in September.

What I also think it poor, is that no weighting is given to the numerical scores, we're Engineers after all, not English teachers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got notification from Public Jobs yesterday that they will be in touch with me regarding my appeal in the 'coming days'

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Just curious but what should the alternative selection process be

Actually read the application forms submitted.They require extensive work and it's only fair that they at least be read.

Well shortlisting based on experience and your application form would be a start....

Well shortlisting based on experience and your application form would be a start....

Just got a reply to my queries regarding SEE shortlisting. It will be solely based on the test results and people that are not qualified will still be in the process unless they have stated that they are not eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MurfballEng

I imagine than that they will review the CVs in order of merit and disqualify those that are ineligible as they go. So this would mean that if you were say in the 300s initially you may suddenly jump right up as people are eliminated, refuse interview, changed their minds etc.
    it will be region specific also, so not all people in front of you will be going for the same region, so overall may be in the 300s but for your selected region you may be in the top 50 - 100 ....
    best wait and see what they come back with and when people start getting called for interview or notified that they are ineligible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kevin1974

Just got a reply to my queries regarding SEE shortlisting. It will be solely based on the test results and people that are not qualified will still be in the process unless they have stated that they are not eligible.

I don’t understand how we could be still in the process if we’re not qualified - what do you mean?

Kevin1974 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how we could be still in the process if we’re not qualified - what do you mean?

The Public Appointments Service have not reviewed any of the applications so some may fall short on academic qualifications or experience.

Are they stating that will deem who qualifies or they relying on people to certify?
    PAS Q- Do you meet the criteria for this job?
    A. I most certainly do.
    PAS - Congratulations, see you Tuesday.

The Public Appointments Service have not reviewed any of the applications so some may fall short on academic qualifications or experience.

I know for a fact they haven't. I applied for Government Auditor and have an interview based on the psychometric tests.
    I know nothing about Auditing but will give it my best shot.

I think that they only look at qualifications at job offer stage

Correct and will interview a rake of people who cannot get the job in the process...

Maybe they expect that candidates only apply for positions that they are qualified for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If this is the case I think it's absolutely scandalous...yes I appreciated they have to weed down the numbers so ok do an online test and get rid of 50% or more. But to interview people only on a 12 min test is crazy:mad: not to actually look at what people have done on their careers is almost negligent. It's supposed to be a competency based interview and application. It's all about meeting the competencies how the hell do they know if you meet these or people who are on the mid 300s (me :o) would better meet these. Problem here is the PAS are worse than useless there is no transparency. It should have laid out at the start how EXACTLY the selection process happens. Instead of people indivually emailing PAS and making complaints to find out this **** happens.

Worse than useless :mad:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    If this is the case I think it's absolutely scandalous...yes I appreciated they have to weed down the numbers so ok do an online test and get rid of 50% or more. But to interview people only on a 12 min test is crazy:mad: not to actually look at what people have done on their careers is almost negligent. It's supposed to be a competency based interview and application. It's all about meeting the competencies how the hell do they know if you meet these or people who are on the mid 300s (me :o) would better meet these. Problem here is the PAS are worse than useless there is no transparency. It should have laid out at the start how EXACTLY the selection process happens. Instead of people indivually emailing PAS and making complaints to find out this **** happens.

Worse than useless :mad:

Couldn't agree more. Dishing out hundreds of jobs without looking at applications ... scandalous.

Advertisement