Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

The bills (Excel spreadsheet of all duties for a route and start, finish, break and handover times for the drivers) for 145, 14, 44 etc. in Donnybrook are not synced with the real time. The bill for the 145 for example might give Driver 1 a handover time of 14:10 in Bray coming in from Heuston but the bus might actually be real time scheduled for 13:59. So if Driver 1 arrives to Bray Castle Street at 13:01 , -2 on his pressit he could have to wait up to 8mins for Driver 2 to arrive. Most drivers however show up 10mins early as a rule of thumb. That's why driver changeovers can take ages at Donnybrook etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BusGuy

Wow really funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would assume that the details for Go-Ahead's routes for the E-Spine would be out soon. From looking at the list of the new Dublin Bus routes from the trade union correspondence so far; the L15 is not on that list which could be a Go-Ahead route and replace the 185 route between Bray & Shop River.

Also; why is the E9 not included in that list of new Dublin Bus routes for the E-Spine?

Is that route still going ahead from this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Also why is it numbered the E9 and not numbered much lower? There's no E8, E7 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They’re using “9” on the Spines for the peak time extras to distinguish them from the other Spine routes, as they only go along part of the route rather than cross-city.

They will basically be crowd busters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The new bus stops poles look good but their poorer quality. Noticed a lot of them have been blown the wrong way around by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ITV2

New Kassel kerbing for the F1 done on Cypress Grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Seems to be a new outbound stop going in opposite MacDara's school on Wellington Lane. An awkward spot to put a stop in even if a stop there would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Saw that only recently. With traffic the way it does be for the school & GAA grounds it'll be a recipe for disaster. Just one vehicle to lose patience with a bus at the stop & then smack bang into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pk1991

Some changes announced to the routing of L1,L2 and L3.

Due to be implemented later this year

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Dublin-South-East-Revised-04.03.2024.pdf

• Advertisement

So the circular routing is gone and the routes are really not much different to the 84 and 184 in fact the L1 is basically the 184 with the Charlesland loop replaced by the L3.

I thought the whole idea of the circular routing was to offer a link between Kilcoole/Newcastle and Newtown something which has been called for in the past. I was looking on Streetview at the L505 is it really any worse than Delgany? It would the road could take buses provided the trees and hedgerows were cut back, is this really major work for Wicklow CC?

Good to see that they’re increasing frequency and listening to changes in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It says in the document they've removed the Newtown-Newcastle link as they don't feel the road is suitable for double decker buses. It is a fairly narrow country road. They've also removed the (pointless IMO) diversion to the Glenview Hotel.

Other than that the new proposal is an improvement - better frequency (the previous proposal was a downgrade in frequency vs the 184) and the L3 now serves the new estates above Lidl. Not sure why they haven't made the L3 a loop though, it would make sense for it to continue down past Delgany Wood. Possibly it's just going to be one bus doing both directions so it needs to turn around at the roundabout - in the old proposal it was a one-way loop, now it appears to be two-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DaBluBoi

L5050 does look quite thin at points, don't think double deckers would be able to pass each other there. Not sure if single deckers are narrower, though if so, why not use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

I do wonder who picks these spots. You're right, with the cycle lane around it too (meaning buses won't be able to pull in fully) it's a downright dangerous place to have a bus stop.

Or why not implement some system like drivers must call central control before entering this road to make sure the road is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

That used to be something that happened on at least the 40e, and sometimes you got caught out by other operators or farm machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I was wondering why the Glenview diversion was kept in place as part of the original L1. It's covered off by the 131 now, so worst case scenario you get that towards bray (if you want the dart) or towards Newtownmountkennedy and switch to the L1. Only issue with that is that the 131 isn't part of the 90 minute fare (or is it?)

it's not part of the 90 minute fare.

the original BC proposal removed the Glenview diversion, then it was restored after people complained, now it's gone again so expect more complaints. Anyone I see complaining on FB, it's Glenview staff affected - maybe the hotel should lay on a minibus. The stop there is a relic from the closure of the N11 right turns and a service that only works in one direction is next to useless.

it is very narrow. Maybe extend every second L1 from Newtown to Kilcoole - that road is wider and there's a loop at the end (through the industrial estate) where the bus could turn around.

• Advertisement

Why are they complaining a bus service in one direction is of little to no use to anyone

I guess some people are using it, otherwise they wouldn't care. How they're getting to the Glenview from Greystones, IDK. But if it's just staff I'd say it's the hotel's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

And I should further highlight that this is the case on the old system routes – the working timetables that duties are planned on often have nothing to do with reality and are just fanciful cutting in order to make duties that are legal on paper. From about seven years ago I distinctly remember the 18.00 rte 13 ex Grange Castle being given 80' to get to Parnell Square so that the driver taking it over could have the minimum required break – in reality, that section of the route was doable in 55-60' and the trip was often cut in half with the bus emptied in Parnell Square. BusConnects duties in DB that have en-route handovers do have timings matching the RTPI/AVL... at least at first implementation, because DB are wont to adjust with minor unannounced revisions as they feel at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

These revised BusConnects plans look great for the Wicklow locals. A combined 15 minutes service for anyone using the the revised L1/L2 between Bray & Greystones is great news. Would the number of drivers required to run them be the same as per the old proposals for these routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Bray/Newcastle ~45'. Bray/Newtmk ~60'. Linking section let's assume ~10'. Round trip time in the ballpark of 1h55'. f-40 means PVR=3 buses on L1 and L2 each, so 6 buses total. L3's f-60 means that it could probably be done with one bus. Seven buses, multiplied by an average of 2.3 drivers means about 16 drivers, perhaps even 17 or 18 depending on how stupid the duty cut would come out given the low frequencies.

New plan: L1 f-30, so ideally 5 buses to provide some layover padding time. L2 f-30, so 3-4 buses, depending on the layovers and synchronisation with the L1. L3 looks like a 30-35'-ish route now, so to provide an f-30 we're looking at 3 buses. Worst case scenario: 12 buses * 2.3 = 28 drivers. About 155% of the previous plan.

The 2.3 value comes from experience with other bills in Dublin: this is usually the ratio of drivers overall to PVR over the entire day. Because of the legal requirements surrounding drivers, the only way to drop that ratio closer to 2.0 is to increase the number of buses by having drivers keep their buses through their breaks.

Kilpeddar Village is also no longer served by the L1 not sure why. Seems to have caused quite a stir on FB.

I suspect that might be a mapping error. I can’t see any reason why they’d do that and still serve Willow Grove.

It was only ever going to be served Northbound with the southbound service stopping on the N11 same as the 184, I don't think that has changed?

EDIT - actually I see what you mean. The "2020" proposal shown in the document doesn't have it going through Kilpedder either, just Willow Grove, but there was an later iteration where it did go through Kilpedder northbound, and given that it makes no difference either way I'd suspect that it's a mistake on the drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pk1991

Notices in relation to the LV-City Centre bus corridor have been popping up around Ballyfermot with maps/detail in relation to land acquistion etc. after ABP granted planning permission.

Really looking forward to work starting on the prioerity measures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Has a main works contractor been appointed?? Seems premature with only 2 corridors granted permission, although the rathfarnham corridor may be granted imminently.

Advertisement