Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Wait if the 46a is being completely axed, what will cover its northern routing? Didn't see any mention of O route being launched in that document, unless if they forgot to include its launch, or that the northern branch of 46a will still operate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think the O will be operated out of Broadstone though? So maybe that's why it's not mentioned?

They can't scrap the 46a without the O

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

It says the 11 will operate from Infirmary Road to Sandyford, perhaps this will temporarily replace the 46A. The chargers are not operational at Phibsboro yet for the O.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sounds like a cluster eff in the making.

• Advertisement

I took a closer look in that document, and it said that after the changes the 11 will operate from Sandyford to Infirmary Road (the same road the 46a currently terminates on) which seems like a very bizarre change to me. Same case with the 4 supposedly changing its terminus to Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Interesting - I had in my mind that losing the 145 was going to cause a disaster on the Heuston - CC corridor, so seemingly the 4 will take over that leg if that note is to be believed. What then happens though in the later phase when the 4 goes. Something will be needed to fill the 145 gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

There is a significant difference in frequency between the 46A and the 11 unless the latter's is to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Advertisement

Let’s wait and see as this may not be the entire picture.

There may be extra departures running just between Phoenix Park and St. Stephen’s Green for example to maintain the service level along the NCR.

They've managed to maintain frequencies elsewhere as the phases progress, so I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Another document mentions October instead of June but that's what they're aiming for. The 11 effects me, I don't want to go to the Park 😂

Maybe they meant that it's going to a different garage? Ringsend, perhaps?

That could be the case all right.

The suspense eh? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

It's a very Donnybrook-centric document. I wouldn't be surprised if it's missing changes related to other sheds. 54A will probably go to Broadstone or Conyngham road apparently.

It’s a bit like the time when the 92 was cancelled and someone from Conyngham Road was posting doom & gloom about it here, predicting chaos due to no replacement, while all along the 145 was going to replace it.

We clearly aren’t seeing the whole picture - these things have a habit of sorting themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

No mention of the N2 in that update, but I guess that would run out of Conyngham Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'm guessing the 4 will leave Harristown and go to either Donnybrook, Conygham Road or even Ringsend (less likely) if it's moving terminus to Hueston and the 13 will be operated by Conygham Road only. Could see the E spine being operated by both Harristown and Donnybrook given Harristown will lose a lot of work when the 4 and 13 goes.

I'm guessing that document means the L12 and L14 Bray locals will be DB operated whilst the L1 and L2 84/184 replacements aswell as the L3 Greystones local will be GAI operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

L1/L2 (84/184) will almost definitely be DB operated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think that solution to that issue is an easy fix for the moment. If it's confirmed later on by either the NTA or DB that the 4 will eventually copy the 145 route along the quays; you could do it this way.

You could take the 4 from Heuston Station to O'Connell Bridge (unless that stop is being covered by the F-Spine routes). And then from there you will take a 2 minutes walk down to D'Olier St to catch the E1 which will cover the 145 leg from D'Olier St to Ballywaltrim via Donnybrook and Stillorgan.

This solution is not to be a permanent fix though.

The southside leg of the 4 will be eventually be scrapped to make way for the B Spine which will come from in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

really? I assumed GAI as they operate the 184 which is the more frequent of the routes being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Bray Subgarage should ideally maintain some level of operations (it is in a good location for things after all) and the L1/L2 look like a prime candidate for a combined schedule. Bray have about 45 weekday duties to toss out, although that's keeping in mind they do a good few Donnybrook-starting Donnybrook-finishing Bray-rostered 145 duties too, which calls into question whether they'll have some E1/E2 work too.

Plus the X1 & X2 (the replacements for the 84x).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

I saw on another forum that the 23 and 24 actually will be starting this year with the E spine. This would make sense as there are a few of the blue boxes I mentioned before at the north end of the Ballygall Road East (24 route), where no route currently serves. The same markings are also at existing 83 bus stops. I would be very surprised if they are installing new stops a year in advance!

Post edited by VG31 on

I came across this https://www.facebook.com/WHDRA/posts/pfbid02vSaum33quRQzTvx2mSFJYbKFEgpAQXCjXxs32T7WFNToJmQ9PuSPUMtfZkBRjcmZl

The phasing of the implementation of the Dublin’s bus Network Redesign (NRD) is always subject not only to the availability of funding, but also to the readiness of the transport operators. The NTA needs to be satisfied that the operator is fully geared-up to implement the entire range of changes required in a particular phase, so that we can be sure that a high quality of service can be offered to our customers. The availability of drivers and mechanics is a significant factor from that point of view. This was a consideration in the decision to reverse the order of the implementation of the E-spine and the F-spine, as the former needs slightly fewer additional drivers and mechanics.

The E-spine and associated routes were scheduled for implementation in 2025. This will now take place this year, with implementation of F-spine and associated routes, next year. It was also decided that current routes 9 and 83/a would remain in place in their entirety until the changes around the F-Spine are being put in place next year. The “spines” are managed as part of the programme of all changes across the network, including adding additional capacity to ongoing services and making sure that timetables match traffic conditions so reliability is maintained.

Some key points related to the BusConnects Network Redesign and the E and F Spines are outlined below;

· BusConects Dublin Network Redesign went through three rounds of public consultation with extensive engagement prior to being finalised. Approximately 72,000 submissions were received and were considered as part of the design process. More information regarding BusConnects Network Redesign can be found at the following link;https://busconnects.ie/cities/dublin/new-dublin-area-bus-network/?fbclid=IwAR0NtJ58xZn4q_KHgoeCnt_ebFA961uy1CTauGAchRUVKYo777sKYWBmpJ4

· There are no changes to the bus network in Dublin due to be made in the coming weeks. The next changes will be under Phase 7, which is scheduled for implementation later this year.

· Phase 7 will see the introduction of the E-spine including routes E1 (Northwood - City Centre - Bray), E2 (Ballymun IKEA – City Centre – Dún Laoghaire) and new service, route 19. These will replace the current routes 4, 11, 13, 145 and 155.

· Regarding route 19, it will run between Dublin Airport and Parnell Square via Balbutcher Lane North, Ballymun, Wadelai Park, Home Farm Road and Drumcondra. The 19 will be useful to many customers who currently use the 4, 11 or 13, and the new connectivity it will provide north of Ballymun, will make getting to the airport easier than ever for people in the area.

· Route 19 is to terminate in Parnell Square, an area that offers customers multiple interchange options to other bus routes and to Luas.

· Frequency on all services is reviewed in detail prior to services starting, to ensure that timetables match current demand. When originally proposed, the 19 was to operate on an hourly, basis but in response to feedback from members of the public and from public representatives, that will now be tripled to every 20 minutes with extra buses at peak times.

· Routes E1 and E2 will provide a combined service every five minutes at most times (i.e. twelve buses per hour) along the Ballymun Road, again with extra capacity in the peaks. The total frequency across all three routes in the off peak will therefore be 15 buses per hour. Additionally, buses on routes E1 and E2 will be timetabled as a combined service, with regular intervals scheduled between buses across the two routes together. Timetables across the current services are not integrated in this way.

· It should be noted that in 2022, new orbital routes N4 and N6 were introduced serving this area, and have proved hugely successful.

· Thanks to the TFI 90-minute, there is free interchange to and from other bus, Luas and local rail services for all customers.

· As noted above, in 2025, we expect to introduce new routes F1, F2, F3, L89 23 and 24, replacing existing routes 9, 40, 40b, 83, 83a and 140 would be replaced.

· The above two dates are subject to funding availability and the operators readiness to begin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

It's puzzling as to why they seem to be installing new bus stops on the 24 route then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

2025 for the F routes? I guess for the Northside there's not much of a change so doesn't particularly matter that much for me personally.

I'd still love to see the 40e change sooner. At peak times at Broombridge it's really at capacity and the 30 min wait is a pain if you miss one.

Something will have to maintain the 9 connection from Charlestown through Beneavin - whether that might be the 23/24 or not is anyone’s guess, but possibly it will be an interim route.

The 40e changing to the L62 isn’t likely to happen until the B-Spine phase, which is the second last phase.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Advertisement

The post from FB I posted (it was probably an email to a resident's group from the NTA) did say

"It was also decided that current routes 9 and 83/a would remain in place in their entirety until the changes around the F-Spine are being put in place next year."

Advertisement