Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Yes that is odd. New Wapping Street is meant to be the terminus, with Castleforbes Road being the starting stop of the outbound service.

By the way, the new routes are also up on the various aps (Google Maps, TFI Realtime, etc.) now too.

Also, they've been changing the G1 stops too:

Further to the above, Google Maps Street view now shows the completed Red Cow interchange upgrade. Seems to have 9 lay-bys set up, with the routes distributed across most of the stops. Not sure if there's any 'lay over' stops however. A somewhat basic interchange as of now, hopefully shelters (presumably where the concrete spots are) and RTPI screens will be added in in due course.

(cropped image showing a stop pole set up with timetables already put in)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Public representatives met with nta today re G spine. Public meeting is underway tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What is this meeting for? Roll out starts Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They protested outside the NTA offices last week and came away securing a meeting with 'Hugh'.

But the meeting was a briefing for all TDs, councillors and party reps that was already planned to happen. Even the MEPs for Dublin were invited. They do it before every BusConnects phase. It was never a negotiation. They got an invite to something that they were already supposed to be at.

Also, if you're leading a protest outside the NTA offices but your knowledge of the NTA doesn't even extend to knowing who Hugh Creegan (or, indeed, who the head of the NTA) is then it's probably not going to be a very successful campaign. They'll just brush you aside like Hugh Creegan just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The first stop outbound is on New Wapping Street.

The last inbound stop is on Castleforbes Road where buses will also layover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The first stop for the G1 and G2 is 7890 on Castleforbes Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ah - they’ve changed it since the earlier DB tweet.

Start/Finish is Castleforbes Road then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are there any more details about the venue of that local meeting among residents using the G-Spine being held tonight.

• Advertisement

Another odd thing which I found out: Instead of using the existing Burgh Quay stop which has an RTPI board:

They decided to create a brand new stop just before O Connell Bridge:

I get that the main Dublin Coach stop is at Stop 338, though since they don't use RTPI wouldn't it make more sense to shift it to the new G Spine stop, while the G Spine stops at the old one? There is also plenty of layover space for the G-Spine at the old stop, and I feel that the new stop may interfere with those wishing to turn left from Burgh Quay to D'Olier Street and lead to merging issues

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I'd presume it's to facilitate easier transfers from the 40, which will now stop on O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Oh. There have been times during rush hour on the 40 I wish I could have got off at the bridge instead of D'Oiler St. Handy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But done properly. That is an almighty mother and father of a but isn't it.

What of the engagement, rollout and clarity of information, co-ordination, planning so far makes that likely? Aside from needing bus priority measures and bus lanes to keep reliable schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Was in town today and saw that they've built a new G spine stop on Eden Quay right where the Swords Express pickup is around the Laughter Lounge location. I imagine there's going to be a lot of conflict there between the two operators. Also, there's no G spine stop on Bachelor's Walk. In fact there's a massive gap between Capel Street and OCS. Anyone going to Docklands is going to be inconvenienced by the fact the city centre stops for the G spine are not shared with the 151. Hopefully, that'll be fixed when the 151 is replaced as part of Bus Connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Time keeping stops don't slow you down. They return the bus to the scheduled time listed in the timetable. Imagine if they didn't happen and buses just ran on ahead of time. You'd arrive at your stop in good time but the bus would already have departed and you'd be waiting for the next one, which really would slow you down. Berlin buses do this all the time, also usually at stops where there's a bit more room to do it without blocking buses behind. It's best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yeah it's a very valid point.

The journey is slower than it could be, but you actually save time by quicker connections and eliminating bunching. So annoying when you wait 20mins for your bus, then x2 arrive at same time.

Anyone know how to add a favourite stop in tfi app? G1 g2 & 60 don't exist in dB search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Departures > type in the bus stop number in the top or choose from either List or Map > click the bus stop and then click a Star in the top right.

Hows launch for G Spine and 60? Im boutta head out to check them out myself

Not very good sign that they already seem to be facing delays and cancellations according to Google Maps :(

• Advertisement

Some issues this morning although it's day 1 it's a Sunday but still gaps in service. There have Been a few people in ballyfermot got the g2 instead of g1 as g2 is via cherry orchard I.e. they saw cherry orchard and thought it was going to the estate. Surely a simple via ballyfermot would suffice as its the main part of the spine. There was a 40 min wait for a g1 at one stage and the 2 before were running 2 mins apart. It also looks like g1 is not making its time as buses are operating to Eden Quay and returning frim burgh Quay with the stops from New wapping St to burgh quay being cancelled

Post edited by A2000 on

gave the G1 a try today. Good to see shelters and benches are in place now at the red cow interchange.

I can see why Dublin bus label it as "towards Castleforbes Road", they treat it as the terminus stop. In fact , the "terminus" stop on new Wapping Street still only shows the N4 on the stop head. On top of that, the stop on Castleforbes Street is labelled as "set down only", with no stop number (is there a missing 2nd stop pole yet to be put in?). Very confusing for the end user where all the information available is contradicting.

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

List of new stops as far as I was able to spot them in the online schedules:

7867 Park West Road [G1 in] Park West Avenue northbound before Park West Road

7868 Park West Road [G1 out] Park West Avenue southbound after Park West Road

7869 Park West Avenue [60 in] Park West Avenue southbound after Cedar Brook Walk

7870 Park West Avenue [60 out] Park West Avenue northbound after Barnville Walk

7871 Spiddal Road [60 in] Spiddal Road eastbound before Moycullen Road

7872 Claddagh Green [60 in] Claddagh Green northbound near shops

7873 Kylemore College [60 in] Le Fanu Road eastbound before Kylemore Road

7874 Kylemore College [60 out] Le Fanu Road westbound after Kylemore Road

7875 Ninth Lock Road [60 out] Ninth Lock Road southbound after New Nangor Road

7876 Palmerstown Way [60 in] Palmerstown Way eastbound around Cloverhill industrial areas

7883 Ormond Quay [G1 in, G2 in, 60 in] Ormond Quay supplementary to 1479

7885 Palmerstown Way [60 out] Palmerstown Way westbound around Cloverhill industrial areas

7886 Red Cow Luas [G1] Red Cow Park & Ride

7888 Winetavern Street [G1 out, G2 out] Winetavern Street southbound after the Quays

7889 Burgh Quay [G1 out, G2 out, 60 out] Burgh Quay westbound before D'Olier Street

7890 Castleforbes Road [G1, G2] Castleforbes Road southbound before Mayor Street Upper

7891 Wellington Quay [G1 out, G2 out, 60 out] Wellington Quay supplementary to 312

It won't be a surprise to some that the 60 terminus in the Quays isn't actually a new location, but merely a recycled stop from before: 7512 and 7557 are both numbers dating a while back. 7856 also appears, but that was installed a few months earlier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Handy living in Clondalkin Village and having 2 options for Red Cow Luas now (L54 & 60) plus the 13 and 69 don't stop too far away either thanks to the stop at Monastery Gate. Definitely better than having to walk from the ibis hotel stop just a few years ago. Still crazy it took nearly 2 decades to have Dublin Buses actually going to the luas station itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

DB have a notice up saying G1 wasn't serving the Neilstown Road or Fonthill Road this afternoon due to antisocial behaviour. I thought this was the G2 route?

Is there any reason TFI needs to include the current operator's name and logo on the top of the post? Surely this is something that requires needless updating when routes change hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

There's a mish-mash of styles going around. One on Westland row doesn't identify any operators it just says "routes" on the green bar. there are/were stops on Collins avenue without a green bar at stops for n4, 104

There should just be some small print saying this for each service in the timetable - I believe this is how it's done in London.

Also, If a stop has a lot of different routes, they forego the operator separation and list all the routes in one.

If anything, in my opinion it should be split up based on the type of service (i.e. xpresso, commuter, city, etc).

Have they settled on a style? I would have thought a consistent bus stop design would have been a high priority as part of BusConnects.

• Advertisement

Got on the 60 in and G2 out. One notable thing is that the L54, G1 and 60 all have different stops at Red Cow, which given the frequencies of all three I find a bit strange. Also, buses seem to be a mixture of PAs and SGs/GTs in TFI livery, instead of being purely PAs. Am waiting for tomorrow to see if the trend continues, and also to see if they'll bring any EVs or even AXs back

Advertisement