Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Yeah the nta literature only shows timetables from the outer termini which is adding to the confusion. We're trying to educate the elderly in the area how to get the information they need but there's different info on different sites. If you look on nta the first 60 from red cow is st 7 on the 19th. On dB its 8. And nobody is sure where its going or what the extra services are at school time. The 8am ftom red cow won't have the kids at thier desk for 8.45. The 7am is too early. The kids that used to use the 79 ftom lower ballyfetmot to school will find the 7.30 60 too early and the 8.30 too late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah right, just checked one of the BusConnects proposals. It's the 262 but it's going to skip Cabra and go down the Ballyboggan Road. Which would save time, but there seems to be a lot of school kids using that to get to Cabra itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

A few departures have been shifted five minutes. Mostly affects mid-afternoon M-F and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well they are really showing the route operating hours, as opposed to directional ones, but it's very poorly explained as anyone would conclude what you did. It is far better to show a timetable, and at that one that includes all departures!

They really cannot get the detail right at all.

Sunday is an oddity for route 60 as every other day the inbound service starts ahead of the outbound service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah cheers. It's still going to use the Ballyboggan Road which is great for people getting to Broombridge. And a bit of improvement at peak times. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There really needs to be "one source of truth" for:

• RTPI
    • whether a bus is actually running or not (which you'd expect RTPI to include, but it doesn't)
    • current timetables and routes
    • proposed future changes

instead of the current shambles.

Life ain't always empty.

To add to the confusion for G1 & G2 the destination is castleforbes Road according to dB signs on stops. Spencer Dock according to nta. The timetable says new wapping street. You couldn't make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Assuming that final stop is at Castleforbes Road, whereas first stop is at New Wapping Street. General area it ends and starts in is Spencer Dock

Doesn't excuse the abysmal communication, just that the logistics is understandable

Other changes from October 16th will see the X30 extended to Adamstown along Adamstown Boulevard, and the C2 finally re-routed to serve Adamstown Boulevard and the L1030.

This will give an all day service to/from the city near to Dodsboro and Shackleton Drive.

• Advertisement

We tried to help in the local old folks complexes to try help them understand how to use the new services. We were hoping to do the schools next week but can't get any info on the additional peak term time departures for the 60. They appear to be inbound from cherry orchard but won't assist kids coming from lower ballyfermot up to the schools as the 7.30 60 will be to early for them and the 8.30 too late. Tetm time departures are in the nta literature but db are unaware of them hence why they are not on the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Finally! The L51/L52 have been doing that routing for I'd say 2 months now, although that was a "temporary" change for roadworks. I would imagine even that change will stick

One thing to note, going by the map in the DB announcements, these new stops along adamstown boulevard aren't in use even though the C2 & X30 will be passing them?

The L51 and L52 both serve these stops.

Also, they should have really used up to date maps for the area, as it could cause confusion. The whole Shackleton development (plus Shackleton Drive) are omitted!

Intended routing for both is to turn towards Shacketon Drive then turn left at the Lidl, before eventually reaching the station. Roads aren't finished yet after Lidl, so this routing is actually also temporary, hence the lack of usage of those bus stops

Maybe they don't have permission from Google to use their maps and can only use the ones from OSI?

Wait, why are they using those streets; would it not make more sense to terminate at North Wall Avenue along with the N4?

The North Wall Avenue N4 terminus is full as it is.

Remember that buses need to lay over between trips, and the G-Spine will be every 6-8 minutes. That needs a fair bit of layover space.

It will connect with the N4 at New Wapping Street in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is there suppose to be an update about the date for rollout of the Southern Orbitals later this week?

I do want to share an update about what's going on in my area. There is a new local authority housing development being built in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock at the moment.

I would assume that between 85 & 90% of the development is already completed. The only things left to build on it is the underground car park, which has 44 car parking spaces, and a small amount of landscape gardening work to be finished on site.

If all goes well regarding the rollout for the Southern Orbitals after the G-Spine. I am unsure whether they might be opened up to take in new residents who could see new houses while the new bus routes will be rolled out after the G-Spine.

The S8 & L25 from Dún Laoghaire will pass outside the new apartments in Annaville Terrace alongside the 7B/7D. The nearest bus stops for the 114 will be at St Augustine's School on Carysfort Avenue or near Dunnes Stores at the Playwright.

I don't know how many are going to use the newer bus routes every day when there are car parking spaces provided in the apartment blocks. There will be huge usage from school students attending 2 secondary schools in the area.

And with that I'm also concerned that could there be overcrowding from students who attend Newpark Comprehensive School who would be able to use these buses when they leave the school when they go home in the afternoon.

I am a past pupil at Newpark myself. I would estimate that the student numbers at Newpark Comprehensive School would be very large. They could max out at 850 to 900 pupils. That doesn't leave a lot of space for pupils to have room along the footpaths to catch a bus home to Dún Laoghaire while waiting at some bus stops along the 2 new Bus Connects route in the area.

Before BusConnects comes to the area. A very large proportion of those students would have had to walk down to either Temple Hill or Seapoint DART Station to travel home during the school term. That to me suggests that students having to get a new bus route to do that similar journey home could have the potential to create overcrowding at some bus stops at Annaville Terrace or at Guardian Angels Church for brief periods of time in the afternoons throughout the school week.

There is also a new cycle lane which was built outside the school since the pandemic started in 2020. But again space for them inside the school grounds is probably at a premium. Would you guys here consider this to be a bit of concern in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There is more than enough space in that part of town to create a proper lay-by for all the terminal bus routes that are planned to serve the area. They could even turn one of the many side-streets into a bus-only corridor without inconveniencing anyone, or use part of the quays opposite 3Arena.

What benefit is there from that?

You don’t need one massive terminus - the two routes intersect on New Wapping Street as I said, which is the key requirement.

There won’t be any more routes terminating in the area as the 71 & 72 will continue to the present 151 terminus over in East Wall.

Incidentally, the buses are using existing lay-bys on North Wall Avenue and Castleforbes Road that are being re-possessed from car parking as the bus termini.

I'm more concerned as to how they'll even run efficiently. Ideally the S4/6/8 should be run by both Ballymount and Donnybrook, however since they're owned by two different operators I highly doubt this would happen. Could we see GAI finally opening an outbase in Dun Laoghaire, like they've done so for the N6?

• Advertisement

I just think that having the terminus also be at the Point Village would be more convenient for drivers on break in terms of amenities, as well as being a more obvious focal point for passengers.

Change things around once Spencer Dock rail station is actually built and operational.

The drivers don’t take their breaks in Docklands.

On the N4 they change at DCU and drive to/from Harristown using staff cars.

On the G Spine they will change at Eden Quay so they can use the company canteen at Earl Place.

Incidentally there is a SPAR shop right beside the new G-Spine terminus if drivers want to get anything while laying over between trips.

You have to remember that with the frequency that both operate at, the N4 and G-Spine need space for anything up to 4 or 5 buses each at the terminus at any time - combining that (up to 9 or 10 buses) isn’t going to be possible in one street nor is it desirable.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Which translates to what has been posted already - last stop is on Castleforbes Road and first stop on New Wapping Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Which is about 300m more than is recommended for major trip generators.

Again, you have to be practical about this.

I have explained why you can’t have all of the buses on North Wall Avenue.

I admire your vision, but you also have to be practical about it.

A traffic generator that isn’t generating each day, has limited hours, and which causes major traffic congestion.

Personally I think that the G-Spine is terminating in the right place. Close to the 3Arena but far enough away for crowds to dissipate a little.

And if someone can’t walk to the bus, then surely they can take the LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I was at a concert in the 3 Arena there recently have to say the Luas was a total sh*tshow there was a 20 minute wait for a Luas after the concert so I ended up walking from there to D'Olier Street to catch my bus.

Good to see more transport options in that area always thought it was a bit of a public transport wasteland down that part of town bar the Luas.

Locals protested about the removal of 79/79a and the frequency of the 60 outside the nta offices today. The issues are to be looked by head of ntawith a response on 12th from nta followed by a public meeting on 14th. At least 2 people enquired about the extra term time departures on the 60 on dB twitter page. Db again say they hold no information on same.

Seems there's a spate of anti-social issues along balgaddy road in Lucan, which is affecting the L53 and L54.

*That should say Foxborough Road, not Foxedene Ave.

See below for routing (red=existing, green=detour):

According to the comments, drivers have mentioned that the change might be made permanent if the issues continue.

• Advertisement

They just seem incapable of engaging with communities and then getting the information right. That’s basic stuff. A timetable is a full list of buses. Unreal.

I suspect that they’re going to get a big pushback against the service reduction in Lower Ballyfermot and from the longer journeys via Mount Brown.

Advertisement