Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Notice all the BC routes that have been rolled out so far have avoided the O'Connell Street, Westmoreland/D'Olier Street and College Green ie the main bus thoroughfare in the city wonder was this deliberate or coincidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Deliberate, probably in anticipation of the pedestrianisation of College Green. Thats set to change though with the F Spine, which will be implemented in god knows when

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

When I was at red cow this afternoon, the 60 (which came from the garage if I remember correctly) didn't even go to it's "designated" stop, it went straight to the empty bus bay between the G1 & L54 stops.

Another thing I'm wondering - why don't any of the Bus Eireann or Go-Ahead Kildare commuter services serve the Red Cow? Surely there's more space available now for those services, even if they have to repoen the old terminus set-up for extra capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

lol bus Éireann have a funny way of dealing with the N7, there’s a stop at newlands cross on the slip onto the flyover westbound, I got in contact with BÉ to ask how much the fare was on the bus from there and they told me to just go to busáras as drivers have a tendency to just…drive over the flyover and avoid the stop…

the go ahead Kildare services are probably like that down to timing, it takes a fair while to get in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Basically no service on g1 inbound or g 2 outbound for schools this morning. Also 4 buses running together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Also 4 buses running together.

I haven't seen the working timetable that actually went into effect (I understand I'd been shown an early version), but stupidly enough the one that I had seen had both inbound routes basically timed together in Ballyfermot every 10-12 minutes instead of a combined f-5-6. To add insult to injury, one route had a few more minutes to reach Eden Quay than the other.

Checking bustimes.org I note that the morning peak is timed in a 7-3 pattern at inbound from stop 2696 - still disappointing. The 6-9 during the midday isn't half as bad.

I need to actually sit down and work on my little piece of software for generating stop-by-stop timetables and start churning stuff out seriously...

3 x g1 cancelled between 8.10 and 8.50 this morning. Ironically the 8.40 60 ran empty as its not on the timetable and most are unaware it exists and most kids had got lifts or walked to school by then as it runs far too late as a term time service. Apparently the 1.23am bus did not run either. A bad start and didn't instill confidence in anyone. The 60 however seems to be running smoothly though is barely making its running time while not overly busy. Locals also complaining via face book and twitter that thier G1 journey was 20-25 mins longer than 79/a to city this morning and phantom buses counting down and not appearing.

Post edited by A2000 on

Buses arriving in 3s.

This bus stop probably doesn't help matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Complaints now steadily flowing onto the Dublin Bus Twitter page regarding the G1/G2/60. I'm amazed why people thought that doing not much more than putting a different route number on the bus would make a positive difference. Another damp squib from the NTA.

You won't find this on the Dublin Bus website main page, but Routes G1 and 60 have already been pulled out of the Cherry Orchard area for the rest of the night due to typical scumbaggery. Given that the G1 is a 24 hour service, I have no idea what "rest of the night" actually means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes. Hard to get people invested in the idea of connecting buses and services when there doesn't seem to be an improvement. Or the argument is you have to wait for other services.

I'm still slightly surprised they haven't managed to improve the 40e service. It seems like a showcase for a connected service, but you have odd stuff like scheduling a departure minutes before the trains from the Docklands arrive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's two 13s westbound just leaving College Green stuffed full and both leaving people behind. Earlier a 13 did the aame on D'Olier St. Being squashed in downstairs is not a service.

Next 13 on the display in 24 minutes. I think people getting the 13 need to think about alternative transport.

Especially since with the launch of D Spine, the unique routing that the western portion of the 13 takes through Naas Road and Kilmainham will cease to exist with no frequent bus replacements. It’ll be fun to see the discourse behind that when it gets implemented

On a related note, rather disappointed with G Spine so far. I wouldve thought that two garages operating the 40 would lead to major punctuality issues, as it did, but that by removing one garage and shortening the route would lead to better operations, but no. Even the 79s were operated better than this. Maybe it’ll improve as drivers get used to routes, like the C Spine, but I have serious doubts, especially with the awful traffic on James’ Street

Post edited by DaBluBoi on

I got the G1 from Eden Quay all the way out to the Red Cow last night 1.30am roughly, so I was on that 1.23 one if that’s the direction you meant.

tbh If the 79 was my bus I’d be annoyed, but I think I was one of those golden services whose resources could be better used elsewhere. Watering down the Mount Brown bus gate plane is lunacy

That post is from yesterday. It was Sunday night it didn't turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Had my first experience of the new routes today. Was lucky enough to get the 60 in the morning, so wasn’t much later than normal, though they have taken the 79a route away, which was a brilliant direct route into town. Coming home was a nightmare. Tried to time it so I could get the 60 home, but times not available on the app. Then no times for buses at the new stop on Burgh Quay. (Moving the stop from Aston Quay another black Mark) QuayWith no clue as to when the 60 was due, I had to get the G2, ( or potentially wait up to an hour)which was every bit as bad as I knew it would be. My journey home, which took about 30-35 minutes on the 79 took an hour and 15 minutes. From St James Hospital to Emmet Road in Inchicore took about half an hour alone, which I fully expected. There has always been an awful bottleneck of traffic back from the South Circular Road junction. So in short the NTA have succeeded in making 5he bus service to Ballyfermot a whole lot worse. Well done NTA ! But it’s only Ballyfermot !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Agree bus connects network redesign is absolutely pointless if there's still problems with reliability. I don't really see what the issues with the pre bus connects network was yes there should be more orbital and local routes but what the issue was with the numbering system I do not know.

Most cities in Europe used the same numbering system as Dublin for buses and I don't think there's any confusion. If anything the bus connects system of letters plus numbers is more confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I guess the issues are:

Driver shortage

The bus connects corridors do not exist yet and won't for another 8 or 9 years at best.

It was always and continues to be my opinion that the bus corridor project should have had 2 phases, the first to be implemented immediately and include all measures that do not require planning permission, e.g. bus gates at kilmainham, rathmines, stoneybatter etc. And then a second phase that required road widening and would take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I disagree that the current / old network was not confusing. But good for you!!!

I have AirBnB guests occasionally and I have to tell them that from Drumcondra, you can get a 16 from the airport, or a 41 but make sure the 41 is towards the city and not swords. And on the way back you can take a 16 or the 41 (24/7). Make sure you only take the 41 or 41a or 41b. Don't take the 41c. Unless it's a full moon, then you can take the 41c only and the 16 only runs at night-time.

To get into the city, take any bus. If you're lucky you get all the way to Dame Street. Or maybe it takes you to Abbey Street and kicks you off, or you go down Pearse Street. If you're lucky to get to Dame Street, buses continue onto George's St or maybe Christchurch. Just ask the bus driver if you're confused. If you're lucky they'll be happy to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All of that could have been solved by having schematic maps at bus stops.

The timetables posted at bus stops are now wrong, as are the ones online as they don’t show the additional departures.

The C Spine timetables changed in July but no stops have been updated nor have the online pdf versions.

This sort of thing is basic.

Twitter alive with complaints about g spine. 5 buses in a row in ballyfermot passed full. 45 min wait outbound at thomss st. 60 was running ahead and the real time showing it wasn't due for another 3 mins so people missed it. Real time ireland db app and bus stop all showing different times for buses due. Already people are crying out for the 60 to be more frequent. Who would have thought the hourly radial would be the route of choice over the spine. This mornings reason is unforseen traffic. Its obvious the g spine is not making its time. Rowlagh/Neilstown are now up.in arms as they had a 40 every 10 mins. Now they are lucky to see a g2 twice an hour. Thier only hope is a 76 for schools in ballyfermot Things will worsen when the 76 goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

13 is in the absolute toilet this week. Hardly a coincidence that this happens immediately the G spine is launched... wtf is the point of introducing new routes when they can't staff existing ones?

Life ain't always empty.

On RTPI what I am deducing is:

The DB app predictive times are correct but it does not show curtailments or cancellations

The on-street signs seem to be displaying the scheduled times rather than actual

The TFI app is hit & miss with regard to the predictive times, but the live positions of buses on the map are correct.

Clearly there are ongoing IT issues in linking the live bus positions with the predictive schedules, but it is doing no one any good to continue staying schtum about them. Someone needs to explain the situation and what is being done to solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The other issue I've experienced recently is that there seems to be an increase in services that don't have a real-time feed into the TFI app, as in the real time indicator is not on/active within the app so the times displayed are the scheduled times. And to make matters worse, not all cancelled or curtailed services are flagged as such in the app, so when you see a service due without real-time positioning enabled, you have no idea if it will actually arrive until DB social media respond on twitter.

The best way that I’m finding at the moment is to use the map on the TFI real time app and look back along the route, clicking on the black bus symbols to see if they’re the bus I’m going for.

At least that seems to work most of the time.

Unfortunately the system seems to be having major IT problems.

The funny thing is that the G2 is identical pretty much to the 40…but is still getting people riled up because they’ve still managed to mess it up.

anyway I myself can see a 20min+ gap at Ballyfermot Main Road, carnage.

and a 40 min gap forecasted at cold cut road…

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Allow me to also add 7887 Red Cow Luas to the list, the 60 terminus in Red Cow interchange.

Seriously, how difficult is it to produce a map of the new place?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The 13 is forgotten for years, but this was a demand issue, not a driver one. The two buses were 10 minutes apart, both operated by Harristown and even at 10 minute frequency could not cope.

Usually two in 10 minutes and with a 40 added, everyone could get on. Still probably full-ish and huge irregular gaps after it.

There was also no sign of a 151 in the time I waited too. C/Rd must be under huge pressure.

Advertisement