Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Perhaps you haven't seen the bills that you will be on in the future. THen you may change your mind.

I've seen and experienced the bills go-ahead work. The new Dublin bus bills for the h-spine are still superior. If it's a race to the bottom. It must be a slow bicycle race!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 BusDisconnects

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    I've seen and experienced the bills go-ahead work. The new Dublin bus bills for the h-spine are still superior. If it's a race to the bottom. It must be a slow bicycle race!

Why should you accept bills which are less acceptable than the ones they replace?

Do you not have a backbone?

Why should you accept bills which are less acceptable than the ones they replace?

Yes I do. It enables me to work the 6-9hr shifts I get with Dublin Bus every week. It also enabled me to work the 9-13hr shifts with go-ahead.

When my "backbone" couldn't take it anymore. I moved to Dublin Bus and haven't looked back.

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    Yes I do. It enables me to work the 6-9hr shifts I get with Dublin Bus every week. It also enabled me to work the 9-13hr shifts with go-ahead.

When my "backbone" couldn't take it anymore. I moved to Dublin Bus and haven't looked back.

So you agree that working long shifts make bus driving more dangerous?

Busconnects introduces longer shifts, with people starting earlier and finishing later.

Do you not care about safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Why do you think the general public should be against a plan that will increase frequency of their local routes and achieve by the end an improvement in journey time? Without mentioning DB staff.

• Advertisement

Why do you think the general public should be against a plan that will increase frequency of their local routes and achieve by the end an improvement in journey time? Without mentioning DB staff.

Because the plan is about forcing drivers to work long hours and start earlier and finish later, it s about a long draw out plan to remove the identity of Dublin Bus and also to creep privatisation in and drivers start earlier finish later means fatigue creeps in which effects driver performance and this impacts health and safety.

Right now the company is underfunded. If the company was properly funded busconnects could be implemented without making the drivers suffer and subject to draconian measures. TYou should lobby your TD to fund operations better.

Already we have seen new buses crash 3 times in last week. This is very worrying considering that these poster child of the NTA have an accident rate far higher than any other vehicles in the db fleet.

Unproven bus, plus tired driver equals??????

So you agree that working long shifts make bus driving more dangerous?

Busconnects introduces longer shifts, with people starting earlier and finishing later.

Do you not care about safety?

I care about safety. It's safer to work a shift spread over 10hrs with a 2hr break, during which I can go home and have a nap or eat something. As I say nicer than working 13hrs with a 5hr break and nowhere to take that break (a situation now rectified by go-ahead).

Not all drivers are in the same position as me. They may live further away etc. But then not all drivers are in the doom and gloom bunker with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Because the plan is about forcing drivers to work long hours and start earlier and finish later, it s about a long draw out plan to remove the identity of Dublin Bus and also to creep privatisation in and drivers start earlier finish later means fatigue creeps in which effects driver performance and this impacts health and safety.

Right now the company is underfunded. If the company was properly funded busconnects could be implemented without making the drivers suffer and subject to draconian measures. TYou should lobby your TD to fund operations better.

Already we have seen new buses crash 3 times in last week. This is very worrying considering that these poster child of the NTA have an accident rate far higher than any other vehicles in the db fleet.

So nothing then?

So nothing then?

I told you, up to you if you don't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Unless there's actually going to be a union ballot about BusConnects or some sort of union statement against the changes, can we move the discussion past these supposed issues with Dublin Bus industrial relations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

And there the mask slips, the likes of yourself and Devnull and all the other cheerleaders for this have exposed this whole thing for what ti is.

An exercise to erase the identity of Dublin Bus and force privatisation on the whole service.

The race to the bottom.

They're a transport operator. They're tendered to operate bus routes. The 'identity' and 'history' is (aside from being completely overblown) irrelevant to the end user - the passenger. Integrated, coherent, easy to access information about 'the system' as a whole is what's most important.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Unless there's actually going to be a union ballot about BusConnects or some sort of union statement against the changes, can we move the discussion past these supposed issues with Dublin Bus industrial relations?

Won't mention it again. Shouldn't feed the troll!

AngryLips wrote: »

Just because you close your ears about it, it doesn't mean it won't happen.

Staff are not happy don't take my word for it, it's all over social media and it's been on here for weeks, well before I started posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Let the drivers strikes. Support for BusConnects would go through the roof.

noelfirl wrote: »
    They're a transport operator. They're tendered to operate bus routes. The 'identity' and 'history' is (aside from being completely overblown) irrelevant to the end user - the passenger. Integrated, coherent, easy to access information about 'the system' as a whole is what's most important.

So just follow these other operators like sheep?

Why not do it a better way and be proud of our heritage?

If the NTA didn't exist then GoAhead Ireland would not exist. There would be a central place, it would be called DublinBus.ie and instead of TFI we would have CIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Your hardly suggesting that the government is spending two billion euro to eradicate the rich, historical (since 1987), glorious culture of Dublin bus. They must be telling you something we're not.
    Also the new services only started today so you can hardly blame bus connects for the crashes.

So just follow these other operators like sheep?

Why not do it a better way and be proud of our heritage?

If the NTA didn't exist then GoAhead Ireland would not exist. There would be a central place, it would be called DublinBus.ie and instead of TFI we would have CIE.

The irony of taking issue with centralisation with the NTA when DB was borne out of CIE.

Your hardly suggesting that the government is spending two billion euro to eradicate the rich, glorious culture of Dublin bus. They must be telling you something we're not.
    Also the new services only started today so you can hardly blame bus connects for the crashes.

In case it escaped your notice, they previously took DB services off them and gave them to a bidder who cost more money, that is literally wasting money on getting rid of DB.

They are spending money on new brands, new livery, all to erase any trace of DB. This is the covert reason for Bus Disconnects, under the pretense of a network change, the hidden agenda is to remove DB.

donvito99 wrote: »
    The irony of taking issue with centralisation with the NTA when DB was borne out of CIE.

It is sensible to have railway people running railway companies and bus people running bus companies, hence why a rail company and a bus company.

It is sensible to have railway people running railway companies and bus people running bus companies, hence why a rail company and a bus company.

The NTA aren't running DB. They're holding you and DB to account. Roll on Bus Connects, pax are fed up with shoddy service to suit drivers.

• Advertisement

Is there a good rundown available of the latest plans in a fairly digestible format til I see whats coming locally?

Dont need anything on internal IR stuff, thanks in advance x

Nope, the NTA are setting Dublin Bus up to fail as an excuse to remove them.

We survived perfectly well without them.

In case it escaped your notice, they previously took DB services off them and gave them to a bidder who cost more money, that is literally wasting money on getting rid of DB.

They are spending money on new brands, new livery, all to erase any trace of DB. This is the covert reason for Bus Disconnects, under the pretense of a network change, the hidden agenda is to remove DB.

The government are not spending €2billion just to remove the branding of an operating company from the busses ( even though their logo will still be on the side so they will have failed at "erasing" their brand).

Is there a good rundown available of the latest plans in a fairly digestible format til I see whats coming locally?

Dont need anything on internal IR stuff, thanks in advance x

Speak to your local TD or visit nbru.ie

Look at those parasites washing away all those years of history of Dublin Bus.

I don’t care as a passenger about the brand. This is more frequent service so all good.

Speak to your local TD or visit nbru.ie

No that appears to be all IR stuff, sorry- thks tho

fvp4 wrote: »
    I don’t care as a passenger about the brand. This is more frequent service so all good.

Many people care about history being washed away,

Dublin Bus is part of the fabric of Dublin and I don't think it should be eviscerated so easily. Feedback shows the colours, yellow with blue to apply contrast to the yellow, appeal to people with special needs and are a help to people who are visually impaired. I think the brand is worth fighting for.

It's one thing creating a new brand, but it's a completely different matter replacing an old brand. I'm not too sure if some of the iconic brands that we have in this country, like Guinness and Aer Lingus, would take kindly to someone coming in and taking their brand away.

The TFI brand is an anaemic, a blancmange of nothingness. The new brand for me speaks nothing with its colours to Dublin. It relates in no way to Dublin or Dubliners, and is an anaemic blancmange

Not a single passenger gives a toss. If the bus service provided is reliable and efficient, little else matters.
    Dublin Bus is part of the fabric of Dublin and I don't think it should be eviscerated so easily. Feedback shows the colours, yellow with blue to apply contrast to the yellow, appeal to people with special needs and are a help to people who are visually impaired. I think the brand is worth fighting for.

It's one thing creating a new brand, but it's a completely different matter replacing an old brand. I'm not too sure if some of the iconic brands that we have in this country, like Guinness and Aer Lingus, would take kindly to someone coming in and taking their brand away.

The TFI brand is an anaemic, a blancmange of nothingness. The new brand for me speaks nothing with its colours to Dublin. It relates in no way to Dublin or Dubliners, and is an anaemic blancmange

Have a DB brand or don't, doesn't have any impact on the customer so long as the buses are running. Doesn't matter who has the contract to run the route

The existing logo is less than 20 years old, the spire has been in Dublin longer.
    Dublin bus has only been around 34 years, hardly part of the "fabric" of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Not a single passenger gives a toss. If the bus service provided is reliable and efficient, little else matters.

Have a DB brand or don't, doesn't have any impact on the customer so long as the buses are running. Doesn't matter who has the contract to run the route

If it doesn't have an impact why would the brand have been valued at worth tens of millions of Euros? Must mean something if it's valued at that price. Should Dublin Bus as a company be forced to forego it's assets without compensation?

Passengers do give a toss. It's been proven. If you ask people what symoblises a bus to them and a picture of liveries they pick Dublin Bus, if you ask them who recognises DB more will say that than TFI.

Sorry it doesn't suit your agenda.

Advertisement