Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

What is the ska with the new colour scheme? Thought the livery was this:
    dublin-bus.jpg

But then I've seen this:
    GA11550%20-%20Rt175%20-%20CitywestRoad%20-%20090918.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yellow was a late addition to the planned livery on the backed of disability concerns.

Amirani wrote: »
    Yellow was a late addition to the planned livery on the backed of disability concerns.

Ah right. I'm glad, the yellow is a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I would hope that, come 2027 the addition of bus connects, new cycling schemes and metro will have decreased car traffic enough that orbital routes wont be bogged down in traffic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I believe plans for orbital routes are to be published after the 16 core routes are sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dart and luas need to be super fast and are far from it.

Not really, it is nice of course, but frequency, reliability and capacity are much more important when it comes to mass transit.

London Underground averages just 33km/h.

Systems like this are generally highly constrained by how close stations are to one another and how long they spend at each station boarding people.
    Qrt wrote: »
    I've never understood the outrage with one way systems, it adds a fractional amount of time to journeys. Imagine Clondalkin village without the one way system!

One way systems often end up being faster, despite the longer distance, due to traffic moving more smoothly and the elimination of difficult turns and junctions.

They are pretty much well proven design for almost all cities now.

But people can often not understand how travelling further can be faster. A lot to do with transport planning can be counter intuitive, things like traffic evaporation, one way streets, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

bk wrote: »
    Not really, it is nice of course, but frequency, reliability and capacity are much more important when it comes to mass transit.

London Underground averages just 33km/h.

Systems like this are generally highly constrained by how close stations are to one another and how long they spend at each station boarding people.

One way systems often end up being faster, despite the longer distance, due to traffic moving more smoothly and the elimination of difficult turns and junctions.

They are pretty much well proven design for almost all cities now.

But people can often not understand how travelling further can be faster. A lot to do with transport planning can be counter intuitive, things like traffic evaporation, one way streets, etc.

They have no problem with this when it comes to Motorways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They have no problem with this when it comes to Motorways.

I was thinking exactly that when I was writing that! M50 or other motorways often have long detours, but are almost always far faster.

But many can't seem to comprehend that this also works in much the same way on a smaller scale at local level too for some reason!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

bk wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly that when I was writing that! M50 or other motorways often have long detours, but are almost always far faster.

But many can't seem to comprehend that this also works in much the same way on a smaller scale at local level too for some reason!

I think you are talking about those people who do not use Google maps to determine their route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Apparently the NTA want the 102 operated by single deckers however I believe this route is quite busy at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Apparently the NTA want the 102 operated by single deckers however I believe this route is quite busy at peak times.

Not just at peak times. It’s usually full at weekends with heavy loadings at The Pavillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

plodder wrote: »
    I think anyone is going to be a bit shocked when they find out that some part of their property is going to be CPO'd but I've seen far worse in the UK, like a semi-d house sliced in half, ie one of the houses removed completely and replaced with a road. The Navan Rd. one looks not bad at all. There does come a point though where maybe it makes more sense to CPO the whole house as you don't want to be so close to the traffic that you will hear it day and night.

When they made the N4/M50 junction free flow they had to take a few houses on the old Lucan road.

C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My guess would be no, considering there's the distant plans for orbital core route corridors. It seems like a big problem looming, especially when places like J12 are due to be used a fair bit...

J12 is an absolute tragedy and the narrowing of the roundabout city-side of it for bike lanes (fair enough) has caused it to be a disaster day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

cgcsb wrote: »
    Great question. Particularly regarding the orbital routes, especially the O bus. The current 46a is often heavily delayed around phibsboro, you can often see three buses at once and not another one for a half hour.

The reason for asking was something similar. The 14 (which will be replaced by the A1) currently sits in a queue of cars trying to get on to Grace Park Road in the morning peak.

Currently the bus takes a left turn onto Collins Avenue and this lane is shared with the lane for going straight ahead. Under BusConnects the bus will turn right.

This will impact the frequency on the A spine if buses can't progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

J12 is an absolute tragedy and the narrowing of the roundabout city-side of it for bike lanes (fair enough) has caused it to be a disaster day and night.

I don’t even think they’re proper bike lanes, this “shared space” crap again 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most won't even use the cycle paths or lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

First time I have had a look at the plans. Secofocally the N4 Lucan Road Spine. They're keeping the entry at the Oval open AND they're putting a new ped crossing at the footbridge. How is that in anyway sensible?

I'll read the rest during the week.

howiya wrote: »
    The reason for asking was something similar. The 14 (which will be replaced by the A1) currently sits in a queue of cars trying to get on to Grace Park Road in the morning peak.

Currently the bus takes a left turn onto Collins Avenue and this lane is shared with the lane for going straight ahead. Under BusConnects the bus will turn right.

This will impact the frequency on the A spine if buses can't progress.

We'll see in January I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ah right. I'm glad, the yellow is a big improvement.

I'm irrationally annoyed that the chevrons at the back and the front run towards each other rather than in parallel.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm irrationally annoyed that the chevrons at the back and the front run towards each other rather than in parallel.

I see what you mean but that doesn't bother me though. I'm guess it would've taken a lot more yellow paint if it followed the same angle as the chevrons (unless they flipped the chevrons instead). In any case it'll be much less noticeable when there's advertising hoardings on the side.

Nonetheless the addition of the yellow definitely looks a lot better; I thought the all blue livery looked a bit lacklustre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Most won't even use the cycle paths or lanes.

A cycle path which is well designed and maintained and is of benefit to the cyclist will get used. See the Clontarf to Sutton cycleway for example.

A cycle path which is poorly designed or maintained, which puts the cyclist in danger or removes their priority at junctions or which diverts the cyclist significantly to get them out of the way of 'real traffic' will be ignored and with good cause. See many 'shared space' cycle lanes for examples.

mandatorycyclelane.jpg
    Cycle-Lane-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A cycle path which is well designed and maintained and is of benefit to the cyclist will get used. See the Clontarf to Sutton cycleway for example.

A cycle path which is poorly designed or maintained, which puts the cyclist in danger or removes their priority at junctions or which diverts the cyclist significantly to get them out of the way of 'real traffic' will be ignored and with good cause. See many 'shared space' cycle lanes for examples.

mandatorycyclelane.jpg
    Cycle-Lane-1.png

Where are these???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

cgcsb wrote: »
    How would you estimate that out of curiosity? I'm just wondering because the number of Swords/Airport-City Centre commuters for example would be quite large.

I would suspect most that commute from Swords would use the Port Tunnell or the Swords Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Where are these???

All over the place. The top one is in Galway city and the lower is in the UK somewhere.

You can find one pretty much close to where you live. Look for a 'cycle track' which is painted on a footpath, has driveway dips at regular intervals, ends without a dip to the road surface, directs you to the left of left-turning cars/trucks, requires you to yield at any side road intersection and is probably littered with broken glass swept off the road surface alongside...

Oh, and has cars parked on it...
    Free-the-Cycle-Lanes.jpg?fit=1136%2C640

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

An Taisce member suggesting more M50 bus routes on Today FM right now. Getting schooled here by Conor Faughnan.

Even where there are good cycle lanes in place such as in Blackrock and in Churchtown I still see cyclists cycling on the road even though there is a perfectly good cycle lane right there which they could and should be using. I think some cyclists NOT ALL like cycling on the road as it makes them feel more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Even where there are good cycle lanes in place such as in Blackrock and in Churchtown I still see cyclists cycling on the road even though there is a perfectly good cycle lane right there which they could and should be using. I think some cyclists NOT ALL like cycling on the road as it makes them feel more important.

Don't know about Churchtown but I rarely saw any cyclists not using the quality bike lanes in Blackrock. You're not talking about the contra-flow lane that's accessed via Seapoint? The actual cycle lane there is contra-flow and with flow cyclists are supposed to use the road there - the start of Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭markpb

It makes them feel more important? Get off your high horse! Do you think maybe it's possible there's a real reason why they're not using them, one that isn't obvious to you.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't know about Churchtown but I rarely saw any cyclists not using the quality bike lanes in Blackrock. You're not talking about the contra-flow lane that's accessed via Seapoint? The actual cycle lane there is contra-flow and with flow cyclists are supposed to use the road there - the start of Main Street.

I've seen a few cycling on the road on the Blackrock bypass. I saw a number of men in lycra cycling on the road on Churchtown Rd./Braemor Rd which has excellent wide cycle lane.

Advertisement