Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There are many mentioned already and a few to look at.
    Kimovil.com has a good breakdown web application.
    I am looking for a phone now, as i broke my own.
    I had the lenovo zuk 2 pro, lovely phone, i am thinking of rebuying it.
    The only two others that really stick out to me are the LG V20 (mentioned above by tedpan)

and the Huawei P9 lite.
    All are easily bought and delivered within a week.

I personally am leaning closest to the P9 lite at the moment, i have played around with all three.
    Edit - I realised they were referring to the oneplus.

I didn't like the Oneplus and it is already defeating its purpose. i can not pinpoint it, but it would not be a phone that i would recommend. For the extra spec and flashing lights, you could go for an equally similar but much cheaper Chinese Android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Rega wrote: »
    I was looking at that phone, Trond. Would you recommend it? What network are you on? Cheers

Its down for delivery today so I'll update later if it makes it. Currently in Germany though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I've the one plus two for around two years now and the wife has one a bit less time and we both still love them. I was planning to upgrade to the one plus 5 when it comes out but this phone is still working so well I don't know of I can justify it.

Sadly the Rumours are that the op5 will be much more expensive than the other ones so wouldn't be I'm your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

could someone tell me where i could buy the lg v 20?i thought it wasnt available this side of the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    It costs £ 200 but they force u into a contract and the cheapest one is £560. What happened to buying phones outright??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

could someone tell me where i could buy the lg v 20?i thought it wasnt available this side of the world?

Eglobal central. Just Google it. 379 or 374 after discount with free delivery. Just purchased one for my wife

Patww79 wrote:

Komplett are very good, based in Ireland, so quick delivery. The pricing isn't too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Here's a comparison of the Moto G5 Plus with the Lenovo P2, i may be changing my mind yet!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8319&idPhone2=8453

They both look very similar however the battery life of the Lenovo P2 is 5100mAh compared to only 3000 mAh with the Moto G5

http://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-p2-32-gb-dual-sim-grijs/20807163/details.aspx?channel_code=1199&s2m_product_id=20807163&utm_source=adwords-shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8anBgi3yRXHRQZrNfpGl56nGlEVRs2pk6nxzznHcHuPaxoCcmHw_wcB

serious spec on that phone

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

tedpan wrote:
    Eglobal central. Just Google it. 379 or 374 after discount with free delivery. Just purchased one for my wife

What are this crowd like? I saw they had cheap one pluses. Had a quick look at reviews and they weren't great, although they were quite old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tedpan wrote: »
    Komplett are very good, based in Ireland, so quick delivery. The pricing isn't too bad either

Komplett are Dutch.

grogi wrote:
    Komplett are Dutch.

Yes, but have an office and warehouse in Dublin.
    RIALTO1 wrote:
    What are this crowd like? I saw they had cheap one pluses. Had a quick look at reviews and they weren't great, although they were quite old.

Very good, up to 2 weeks delivery but usually less. They ship from Asia to a European warehouse, then delivered to Ireland. Never had an issue with customs :) many of my colleagues and friends use them too..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that Lenovo looks a great buy - bigger screen, (much) bigger battery and more RAM than the G5+ for ~ same price. Has anyone actually seen/used one yet?

I see 3 in the UK are selling it for £209 and apparently unlocked (though that might be the 3GB model, doesn't specify).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They changed the Moto G5 to 5.2" from the 5.5" Moto G4 because a lot of people preferred the smaller size.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Trond wrote: »
    I got the Mi5s with the official case delivered for €304. Its available on Ali for around €250 if you can wait on the slow boat.

I had been looking at all the Xiaomi options and missed the mi5s, only saw the mi5. That's definitely an option, but I'd rather buy it within the EU to avoid customs on top, do you know of any retailers that sell within Europe?
    Patww79 wrote: »

Komplett are long standing and still regarded well. That's another good option I think. You all have confirmed my reasoning for starting this thread! Plenty of options in this price point.

The LG V20 is interesting too, but it seems difficult to find.

The Moto G5 plus is another option. Much more well know brand, but the spec isn't quite as good as the others for the €300 price!

Yeah, i think the LG V20 is considered by many as the best phone of 2016, and because it was released so late in the year, it may also be a contender for the best phone of 2017.
    It is a silly statement, because each phone will suit its individual user (music, heavy gaming, usage etc..) But it is consistently in the top 3. (the other 2 costing well over €600).
    But it is hard to get in Europe. few stores that did sell it, no longer seem to.

Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah, i think the LG V20 is considered by many as the best phone of 2016, and because it was released so late in the year, it may also be a contender for the best phone of 2017.
    It is a silly statement, because each phone will suit its individual user (music, heavy gaming, usage etc..) But it is consistently in the top 3. (the other 2 costing well over €600).
    But it is hard to get in Europe. few stores that did sell it, no longer seem to.

First I've heard of the V20 being rated so highly. Even the HTC 10 generally ranks better in reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

379 isn't sub €300.. ;)

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    First I've heard of the V20 being rated so highly.  Even the HTC 10 generally ranks better in reviews.
    Yes, i would have agreed with you before March (St. Patricks day to be specific).
    A friend of mine got one, and i am assuming that because it is so hard to get and not marketed in Europe, is the reason that it is not getting reviewed.
    If i can get my hands on one, i will. It is possible to buy for over €500, but is legitimately sold for less than €300 (around €220 - €250)

Patww79 wrote:

Patww79 wrote:

Cheers Pat, it won't be an issue if it's an Asian model. Most of my phones are Asian and work flawlessly. Plus it has dual Sims.. bonus!

Yes, i would have agreed with you before March (St. Patricks day to be specific).
    A friend of mine got one, and i am assuming that because it is so hard to get and not marketed in Europe, is the reason that it is not getting reviewed.
    If i can get my hands on one, i will. It is possible to buy for over €500, but is legitimately sold for less than €300 (around €220 - €250)

I only ever read American reviews, wouldn't even know European reviewers. In any case, €300 is a good price for a 6 month old flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I had been looking at all the Xiaomi options and missed the mi5s, only saw the mi5. That's definitely an option, but I'd rather buy it within the EU to avoid customs on top, do you know of any retailers that sell within Europe?

I used Honorbuy with their EU express option.

I should have it tomorrow so thats a week turnaround. It would have been here sooner but there was problem at my end that I didn't notice till last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Moto G5 with 3 gig ram is around 200 euro on Amazon, can't go wrong for the price.

No NFC so no Android Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If you see it for 250ish I would appreciate a heads up. I had the V10 and it was monster so wouldn't mind a V20 to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Samsung S6 is pretty good, I've had mine coming up to two years and it's ok once I charge it every day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No NFC so no Android Pay

never worked on my HTC one m8 anyway despite it being 'supported'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

No NFC so no Android Pay

Only has Scratch-resistant glass and not Corning Gorilla Glass 3 on Moto G5

Advertisement