Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options
  • 22-05-2017 7:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm sure this is a common request, but as per title I'm looking for something sub €300.

I currently use a smart ultra 6, which I've had for almost 2 years. It has served me well and is still going just fine. My main issue with it now is the lack of RAM. 2GB just doesn't cut it any more. I generally use it for web, reddit, and whatsapp. Some snapchat/insta etc thrown in. I find that switching between apps now means relaunching every time which is tedious.

Requirements are as follows:
    5-5.5" screen, would potentially go a little bigger.
    3GB of RAM at least.
    Large all day battery.
    USB C would be preferred.

Outside of that I'm pretty easy really. I had been looking at this:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-platinum-7-pay-as-you-go-black

It's a tad old though, and only just meets RAM requirements. Perhaps there will be a new version 8 soon too... I've been looking at Xiaomi options but there's so much choice there. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

This is a coincidence. I too have a smart ultra 6 I got just under two years ago and want a phone for roughly 300 euro, I'm almost worried that I was looking at the platinum five minutes ago... will be following this.
    I find my battery is getting a bit worse, but ram is definitely my main concern atm. I might hold off until next month, as vodafone released the 6 and 7 series of the ultra and platinum late may/early june, so they could either put out a better platinum or ultra for a similar price, or the price of last years will go down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

adam240610 wrote: »
    This is a coincidence. I too have a smart ultra 6 I got just under two years ago and want a phone for roughly 300 euro, I'm almost worried that I was looking at the platinum five minutes ago... will be following this.
    I find my battery is getting a bit worse, but ram is definitely my main concern atm. I might hold off until next month, as vodafone released the 6 and 7 series of the ultra and platinum late may/early june, so they could either put out a better platinum or ultra for a similar price, or the price of last years will go down.

The SU7 was a disappointment, so hopefully if there is a SU8 it will be a good one! I'm not in much of a rush, but I'd like to have a device by August say.

I just want to see what other options are out there, as there is plenty of choice tbh. It's just about which are worth it, and which not. There's generally a compromise in a lot of these cheaper devices, we just have to make sure that it isn't a deal breaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

The SU7 was a disappointment, so hopefully if there is a SU8 it will be a good one! I'm not in much of a rush, but I'd like to have a device by August say.

I just want to see what other options are out there, as there is plenty of choice tbh. It's just about which are worth it, and which not. There's generally a compromise in a lot of these cheaper devices, we just have to make sure that it isn't a deal breaker!

Same here

Xiaomi are another brand to look at, sub 300 with 3gb ram.

Try the Moto G5 plus, which is around 300. Just be careful you are getting the one with the higher RAM. There's a thread about the device in here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

See if you can find an offer on a HTC 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I just bought the Platinum 7 and I love it. You can get it discounted from €330 to €310 if porting over from another network. Best thing about the phone is the two front facing speakers. The only annoyance was that I could only get a hold of a bumper case up north for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Moto G5 with 3 gig ram is around 200 euro on Amazon, can't go wrong for the price.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I went for the Elephone P9000 which cost me less than €200. It's been a bit of hardship, wiping my SD card at one stage and the fingerprint scanner isn't perfect, but all in all for €180 euro I'm happy out.

If I could do it again I'd look at a Xiaomi or try stretch to a OnePlus.

Ordered off Gearbest who are a PITA. Try elsewhere when ordering off Chinese companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Ordering the Moto G5 Plus myself later this week from Amazon Germany site. I think another poster put up that they got the phone, gel case and screen protector for € 303.00 all in.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XC6XTG6/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Here's a comparison of the Moto G5 Plus with the Lenovo P2, i may be changing my mind yet!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8319&idPhone2=8453

They both look very similar however the battery life of the Lenovo P2 is 5100mAh compared to only 3000 mAh with the Moto G5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be interesting to know how the camera compares. The specs don't tell you that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Go for an LG V20. Class phone for 350e 4GB Ram, 64GB expandable to an additional 256GB. SD 820, removable battery, the best sound on the market and a qhd screen.

Patww79 wrote: »

The G5 Plus gets slightly better camera reviews the P2 gets just ok.

Some people aren't bothered about the camera. if so the battery life on the P2 is the standout feature.

Otherwise they seem very similar. IPS vs Amoled screen and the P2 is 5.5 vs 5.2 on the G5 Plus.

Oh and the G5 has Nougat.

Who are onedigitals never heard of them. Anyone use them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's a tad old though, and only just meets RAM requirements. Perhaps there will be a new version 8 soon too... I've been looking at Xiaomi options but there's so much choice there. Anyone have any ideas?

If you want something straightforward - Moto G5+.

For around €280 you get and excellent camera, premium build quality, 3GB RAM, uSD card reader, NFC, 5.2" FullHD Screen and finger print scanner.

The only drawback is the microUSB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I'm considering this one for my wife when payday rolls round. It tick all the required boxes and hopefully it lasts for a long time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLU-Pure-LTE-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01LEXH93M

GSMArena link - BLU Pure XR

Patww79 wrote:

Hmmmm, hope not! I'll order one anyway and let you know the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

In the same boat have cancelled 3 contract and most likely going to go with Meteor sim only or PAYG plan as wife is with them. Being sim free and not tied to a contract would be nice. Staying with 3 is tempting changing to a plan with all you can eat data but I'm really pissed of with them at this stage. I was with O2 years and always got very good deal on upgrades and had a discounted tarrif. Contract was up in two weeks any way probably should have waited to see upgrade offers but I'm sick of dealing with them at this stage. Agent I dealt with on chat on Sunday was inept very unhelpful and basically made me make up my mind about cancelling.

Similar requirements to alan but would like water resistance as I cycle a good bit though it's not a deal breaker. Decent camera and fingerprint scanner are a must. Wife has a Oneplus3 which I really like but the 3T is a little more than I want to spend. One possibility though if I could get an iphone6 she would take that and I'd use her oneplus.

Moto G5plus not waterproof or type c but seems like a really good all rounder.

LG V20 does look very good really only missing water resistance

Samsung A5 2017 model meets a lot of specs water resistance and typeC not quite as good as phone as the G5plus and a little dearer though there are some ok offers on contracts that make it temping. I'm a bit biased against samsungs though never liked any I've played around with that family members had. Though it has been a few years. Don't like the skin and back button being on right always bugged me but I'm sure you get used to it.

Sony Xperia XZ ticks a lot of boxes for me 820 processor, type c, waterproof very good camera. Little over budget though at €450. Really like my Sonys though! Out of my last 6 phones 5 have been sony. Have gone from original xperia to, xperiaZ to my current phone Z3compact. Still really like it fast and still will go for two days even with fairly heavy use. Little reason to replace beyond upgradeitis except seal is gone on usb cover and the back glass is cracked not really an issue with back cover on but phone is obviously is no longer waterproof.

Tesco mobile do have two offers that could tempt me into a contract with them.

Can get the Xperia XZ for €199 on a 24 €30 a month contract or the Samsung S7 for €149 upfront on same contract. Or Samsung A5 for free. They seem like a good deal need to sign up to much higher tarifs with other providers to get those prices. 500 minutes and texts and 15gig data is pretty good for €30 with the phone. Only concern though is lack of 4G and they have no info yet on data for roaming. They are still using old O2 3G masts?

Sorry for long ramble! Trying to get things clear in my head. Thoughts?

tedpan wrote:
    Hmmmm, hope not! I'll order one anyway and let you know the experience

Strike that, I read a few poor reviews on customer service at onedigitals. I'm going to order on eglobal central. Have used them several times, 40e more, it'll hopefully be worth it!

I use a sandwich bag for phone when cycling. No good if you are using it while cycling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

beauf wrote: »
    I use a sandwich bag for phone when cycling. No good if you are using it while cycling though.

Doing that to now handy not to have to though.

Don't normally use it while cycling maybe on greenway cycle path when no one else is nearby. Can still answer phone while it's in ziplock but screen doesn't really work well enough to do much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The Nokia 6 is due for release in Europe either this month or June, so that may also meet your spec requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I got the Mi5s with the official case delivered for €304. Its available on Ali for around €250 if you can wait on the slow boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Trond wrote: »
    I got the Mi5s with the official case delivered for €304. Its available on Ali for around €250 if you can wait on the slow boat.

I was looking at that phone, Trond. Would you recommend it? What network are you on? Cheers

• Advertisement

Advertisement