Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Hardware

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

RossieMan wrote: »
    that's not what he said at all. :confused:

you may not have Thermal paste properly applied to the CPU.

Until we know the temps its crashing at, not much information we can give you.

I said that because I think he's right while I haven't managed to catch it at the exact moment it shuts down. CPU came with my PC I never installed it myself I know though it might be a problem must be 5 or 6 years now I have seen the CPU clock and Memory clock going very high while flipping back and forth from desktop to in game The temps didn't seem bad going up to 60 but like I said I haven't been able to see the exact figures the moment it shuts down. Is there anyway I can capture it like a screenshot just before it shuts down Any software I can download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Use a monitoring software like CAM or Corsair link to keep and eye on them. 60 degrees for a cpu that isn't overclock seems fairly high to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Use a monitoring software like CAM or Corsair link to keep and eye on them. 60 degrees for a cpu that isn't overclock seems fairly high to be honest.
    MSI afterburner has an in game game overlay for GPU,CPU temps and load. Corsair link sux lol, I use it as I have to with my cooler.

Alternatively download core temp and prime 95 and run the torture test, should reproduce the issue in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Corsair link is fine when you know how to use it. One of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Corsair link is fine when you know how to use it. One of the better ones.
    I know how to use and its still awful, awful UI and high resource usage for what it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

STEE wrote: »
    I have seen the CPU clock and Memory clock going very high while flipping back and forth from desktop to in game

How high? If that CPU clock is going above 3800Mhz (3.8GHz) then that means you have some sort of overclock enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First principles time ladies.

1. Run Prime 95
    - Crash - Its CPU/Mem
    - No crash CPU/Mem are fine
    2. If 1 passes run Furmark
    - If crashes its the GPU
    3. If neither crash the machine run BOTH
    - If crashes the overall cooling/PSU are insufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ED E wrote: »
    First principles time ladies.

1. Run Prime 95
    - Crash - Its CPU/Mem
    - No crash CPU/Mem are fine
    2. If 1 passes run Furmark
    - If crashes its the GPU
    3. If neither crash the machine run BOTH
    - If crashes the overall cooling/PSU are insufficient.

Please don't run Prime95 :pac:

Download something like realbench

Use FurMark ONLY if you're going to sit there and monitor it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pray do tell why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ED E wrote: »
    Pray do tell why not?

He's not on a generation affected IIRC, but Prime95 has fallen out of favour as it was damaging CPUs due to the heat generation post (and including IIRC) Haswell.

That's all very woolly I know but various articles can be found online with the myriad of opinions. And with the greatest of respect to the person needing assistance here - we all need to start somewhere - we might want to limit the things that could possibly go wrong.

I realise where you're going and realbench probably wasn't the best suggestion as you're trying to go through a process of elimination but perhaps the intel stress test might be a better option.

STEE any update?

• Advertisement
Advertisement