Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Hardware

Options
  • 21-05-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows of some websites where I could a good price for an asus RoG strix 1080 Ti 11gb card So far newegg seems to be the best at $779.99 - € 696 Is there any hidden custom charges with newegg ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

mindfactory.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Of course if you order from US to here you will be hit with customs and tax as well as warranty being a more difficult issue with most brands. It makes no sense.

Best off buying from one of the German retailers who usually have the best price - CaseKing, Mindfactory, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

The cards are more expensive on them sites. Would the custom charge and tax cost much on a asus rog strix geforce gtx 1080 ti 11gb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

23 % plus charges.

Of course if you order from US to here you will be hit with customs and tax as well as warranty being a more difficult issue with most brands. It makes no sense.

Best off buying from one of the German retailers who usually have the best price - CaseKing, Mindfactory, etc

what do you mean by warranty I have to pay a warranty charge for what ?

• Advertisement

No if it breaks or doesnt work it would be a hassle sending it back to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for the sake of a €100 I wouldn't go through the hassle of buying from the US

https://skinflint.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-90yv0am1-m0nm00-a1593284.html

Do I need a 8gb card or an 11gb to be able to play all games at ultra settings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

STEE wrote: »
    Do I need a 8gb card or an 11gb to be able to play all games at ultra settings

Neither.

But depending on the resolution you're using 8GB will give you a bit of future proofing or allow you to load in stupidly large texture packs. Whether or not a 1080ti is even needed will depend on the resolution and refresh of your monitor.

Just checked amazon.com they have them back in stock and it tells you how much for shipping and import fees. Card is $779.99 = €696 plus shipping and import fees to Dublin $196.06=€174 Also they have a 3 Year and 4 Year Asurion PC Peripheral Protection Plan. What uk and german sites have plans / warranty like this ? amazon seems ok for the price its working out at

• Advertisement

$40.17 for 4 year and $32.65 for 3 years

You're mad importing stuff IMHO.

Irish consumer law allows for a claim up to six years after purchase and most of the good card manufacturers offer excellent RMA support for 36 months or more.

Customs can be very hit and miss also, with stuff being delayed, odd decisions on import duty and alike.

Given we've no idea of your specs the card could be complete overkill anyway so if saving money is key you might want to look at that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

A 1080ti is an awful expensive purchase to risk the warranty/duties/rmaing by going outside the EU imo. I bought one myself from casekings a while back for like 800 euro. Buying PC hardware or any technology here will never be as cheap as the US, I've come to terms with this :(

Also I would expect a price drop when the new ATI card comes out.

US buying is really only worth it if someone is bringing it over for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just checked amazon.com they have them back in stock and it tells you how much for shipping and import fees. Card is $779.99 = €696 plus shipping and import fees to Dublin $196.06=€174 Also they have a 3 Year and 4 Year Asurion PC Peripheral Protection Plan. What uk and german sites have plans / warranty like this ? amazon seems ok for the price its working out at
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/11GB-Asus-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-ROG-Strix-Gaming-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Reta_1158935.html
    It's €797 (+30 shipping) on Mindfactory :pac:

My specs are i7-3820 @ 3.60ghz 8gb ram 1TB harddrive

Does mindfactory.de have RMA support or a warranty for the card ?

I was more thinking of the monitor but that is going to probably bottleneck a 1080 let alone a 1080ti.

I have an Alienware Optx 2310 monitor but, I will be upgrading to a 1440p monitor soon

I have an Alienware Optx 2310 monitor but, I will be upgrading to a 1440p monitor soon

Assuming its a 1440p UW 100Hz+ then a Ti will be worth it. I've not come across much a 1080 wont drive 60FPS on for my 1440p UW. The Vega line up will be targeting the GTX1080 level (it's thought) so you could see the prices of the 1080 drop into upper mainstream territory.

I'd be dubious of paring a Ti with that set up but someone else might confirm that for you. Sandybridge certainly bottlenecks the GTX1080 but I can't absolutely confirm it for Sandybridge-E at 1440p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does mindfactory.de have RMA support or a warranty for the card ?

A 1080Ti is overkill for 1080p120 (your current) or 1440p monitors.

Drop down to a GTX 1070 or 1080, and spend the extra on a 250-550Gb SSD.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Assuming its a 1440p UW 100Hz+ then a Ti will be worth it. I've not come across much a 1080 wont drive 60FPS on for my 1440p UW. The Vega line up will be targeting the GTX1080 level (it's thought) so you could see the prices of the 1080 drop into upper mainstream territory.

I'd be dubious of paring a Ti with that set up but someone else might confirm that for you. Sandybridge certainly bottlenecks the GTX1080 but I can't absolutely confirm it for Sandybridge-E at 1440p.

I have a GTX1070 and it easily goes above 60fps on all games I have played on Ultra settings at 1440. In fact I don't think I play any games that go as low as 60.

1080 should handle that no sweat.

awec wrote: »
    I have a GTX1070 and it easily goes above 60fps on all games I have played on Ultra settings at 1440. In fact I don't think I play any games that go as low as 60.

1080 should handle that no sweat.

3440x1440 seems to present an unusually high load (for the small increase in pixel count) to the GPU in some games. That said as always a play here and there with the settings usually fixes it, but the OP seems to want more of a Ultra Preset switch everything on approach.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

3440x1440 seems to present an unusually high load (for the small increase in pixel count) to the GPU in some games. That said as always a play here and there with the settings usually fixes it, but the OP seems to want more of a Ultra Preset switch everything on approach.

Oh I missed the ultra wide bit in your post. :o

awec wrote: »
    Oh I missed the ultra wide bit in your post. :o

It shouldn't make a difference tbh (well a small one) but for some odd reason it seems to in some games. That said I agree there's not much out there that will push a 1070/1080 card at 1440p in the 60hz market.

does mindfactory.de have an option for a warranty when buying a graphics card ?

does mindfactory.de have an option for a warranty when buying a graphics card ?

There's no need to buy extended warranties. The best bet would simply be to go with a card with a 3 year (or more warranty). If you insist on buying one go with one from the manufacturer. EVGA is a good example, 3 years standard 5 and ten years(!) available at nominal cost.

An alternative is to buy with someone like Amazon who will off after sales service within the six year limitation period in English and Irish law. Now that's not to say it's a six year warranty but you should get 36 months or more given deprecated refund rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Zotac are another brand that do up to 5 years warranty if you register the card within 28 days of purchase.

I had looked on Ebay at one stage to see if I could buy the card for cheaper and found a seller who was selling the OC version for $765 but it was up for bidding no buy now option I won the auction got it for $785 he wasn't going to ship to Ireland but, he changed his mind and said he would send it directly to me. Sent me an invoice, I told him id like to cancel the order because I would have to pay an import fee on top the cost of the card and shipping. he said I wont with USPS Is this true ? or is he bull****ting me

• Advertisement

There's no need to buy extended warranties. The best bet would simply be to go with a card with a 3 year (or more warranty). If you insist on buying one go with one from the manufacturer. EVGA is a good example, 3 years standard 5 and ten years(!) available at nominal cost.

An alternative is to buy with someone like Amazon who will off after sales service within the six year limitation period in English and Irish law. Now that's not to say it's a six year warranty but you should get 36 months or more given deprecated refund rates.

So, there should be a warranty with card from Asus Do I just have register the product ?

Advertisement