Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Hardware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

STEE wrote: »
    So, there should be a warranty with card from Asus Do I just have register the product ?

I've not found Asus great to be honest, had a Sabertooth board from them and had to get service through the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I had looked on Ebay at one stage to see if I could buy the card for cheaper and found a seller who was selling the OC version for $765 but it was up for bidding no buy now option I won the auction got it for $785 he wasn't going to ship to Ireland but, he changed his mind and said he would send it directly to me. Sent me an invoice, I told him id like to cancel the order because I would have to pay an import fee on top the cost of the card and shipping. he said I wont with USPS Is this true ? or is he bull****ting me
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

:rolleyes:

In fairness, you've been advised repeatedly not to buy from America.

That order will definitely end up in customs. Unsurprisingly, random eBay seller from 3000 miles away is not the best person to listen to in this regard.

You've also been advised 1080ti is overkill for your needs, which I would agree with.

Get yourself a 1070 from Europe for €400 and put the other €400-500 towards a new build. You've a 5 year old build on a 6 year old platform but you'll still get a few hundred for what you have so at this time you could more than likely put a 7700k or Ryzen 7 build together for little more than the money you're talking about firing at that card from the states. Just my two cents.

He might mark it as a gift etc. customs are well wise to it but some get through. All sorts of issues though if you have to send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

He might mark it as a gift etc. customs are well wise to it but some get through. All sorts of issues though if you have to send it back.
    That used to work years ago, but they've tightened up loads in recent years, I used to get stuff sent to work and didn't get charged but wouldn't chance it now.

Its pointless buying in the US with all the hassle involved. You can get a 1080Ti for £600 from overclockers in the UK, albeit lower clocks.
    Ill probably pickup a 1080ti in the next few months but 6-8 months time a 1180 will be out and will be faster. Its pointless getting 3+ years warranty on a Ti because if you're in that game its outdated after 18 months and time to upgrade again. Otherwise stick to midrange and upgrade every iteration.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    That used to work years ago, but they've tightened up loads in recent years, I used to get stuff sent to work and didn't get charged but wouldn't chance it now.

Its pointless buying in the US with all the hassle involved. You can get a 1080Ti for £600 from overclockers in the UK, albeit lower clocks.
    Ill probably pickup a 1080ti in the next few months but 6-8 months time a 1180 will be out and will be faster. Its pointless getting 3+ years warranty on a Ti because if you're in that game its outdated after 18 months and time to upgrade again. Otherwise stick to midrange and upgrade every iteration.

Agree with everything, and thanks for the heads up on customs, but the warranty. I prefer manufacturers with decent warranty periods and proven RMA support. You're much less likely to need to use it! Also it helps resale value, which if you are always chasing the top you need to keep doing unless you're extremely rich :pac:

2ndcoming wrote: »
    In fairness, you've been advised repeatedly not to buy from America.

That order will definitely end up in customs. Unsurprisingly, random eBay seller from 3000 miles away is not the best person to listen to in this regard.

You've also been advised 1080ti is overkill for your needs, which I would agree with.

Get yourself a 1070 from Europe for €400 and put the other €400-500 towards a new build. You've a 5 year old build on a 6 year old platform but you'll still get a few hundred for what you have so at this time you could more than likely put a 7700k or Ryzen 7 build together for little more than the money you're talking about firing at that card from the states. Just my two cents.

I'm not going to buy the card from the US I know its overkill for what I have at the moment but, I had a gtx 555 for a few years and it died Im tired of medium settings so im going all out and getting the OC version. Will be getting a 1440p and 4k monitor. I have an Alienware Area 51 alx case ( the predator case or aka the 7500 ) that im going to make a ryzen build. btw The card is down to €777.88 on mindfactory.de

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm not going to buy the card from the US I know its overkill for what I have at the moment but, I had a gtx 555 for a few years and it died Im tired of medium settings so im going all out and getting the OC version. Will be getting a 1440p and 4k monitor. I have an Alienware Area 51 alx case ( the predator case or aka the 7500 ) that im going to make a ryzen build. btw The card is down to €777.88 on mindfactory.de

A 1070 will do fine on a 1440p monitor. Max settings, most games will see 45-60fps.
    But you're not going to get much framerate on 4k if gaming is your thing.

ahh jaysus the card comes with only one 8 pin connection I have to buy another one ffs Would PCWorld/Currys have them for sale ? or maplins ?

Eh?

It comes with 1 but you need another one? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ahh I thought I needed two 8 pin my bad first time doing it I just had to put one 6 pin and another 2 pin into the card. It didn't come with a code for the free game that was on offer bit of a bummer other than that I'm happy with it !

• Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ahh I thought I needed two 8 pin my bad first time doing it I just had to put one 6 pin and another 2 pin into the card. It didn't come with a code for the free game that was on offer bit of a bummer other than that I'm happy with it !
    You get the free game code within 7 days of the purchase. If you don't have it by 7 days after you ordered email whoever you ordered it from.

awec wrote: »
    You get the free game code within 7 days of the purchase. If you don't have it by 7 days after you ordered email whoever you ordered it from.

What they send it by mail to you ? I just assumed it would be in the box

• Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea they will email it to you.

I assume it's to stop people buying items to get the code before returning the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Register your card online, and you should get sent the code then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You shouldn't need to register, the code comes from the retailer. You might just have to email them and they'll send one to you. Last time I bought a 1070 from Amazon I didn't get a code, emailed them and within minutes I had a code.

Though you do have to go through Geforce Experience now to redeem the code, it's their attempt to stop people reselling codes. You can still resell it, but only to someone who has the same class card, eg the 'For Honor/Wildlands' offer only worked on GTX1070/GTX1080 setups verified through Geforce Experience.

I got a strange problem When I'm in the middle of playing a game of Battlefield 4 my system shuts down by itself. What could be the issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Your temps are getting too high somewhere.

It's a safety feature on most motherboards nowadays.

Keep an eye on your temps and see what's getting high during gameplay.

Only seems to happen in Battlefield 4 so far no other games I can play UnrealTournament 4 no problems

I have the card in an Alienware Aurora ALX micro ATX case Its a tight fit

• Advertisement

I have the card in an Alienware Aurora ALX micro ATX case Its a tight fit
    Should have gotten a blower card for that type of setup.
    It can also be too much power draw, what PSU are you using?

Use MSI Afterburner to monitor temps in battlefield so you'll see how hot it gets before shutdown. I would do that first, then set fan at 100% in afterburner, run the game and see if it causes a shutdown

What is a blower card ? im using an 875 power supply, I have GPU tweak software that came with the card

What is a blower card ? im using an 875 power supply, I have GPU tweak software that came with the card
    Prob just temps then. Blower cards are the Founders Edition cards for nvidia, while loud and not great coolers they vent out the back which is better for small form factor cases.

What temps is it showing in game before shutdown?

Leave the side of the case off and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

BF4 is very CPU intensive compared to other games, are you using any overclock? I'd keep an eye on CPU temps with something like coretemp. It could be your GPU either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Either CPU or GPU overheating. Both is pretty damn hard to do though, realistically, even in a small case. If you have a watercooler it may not be working correctly.

Assuming you mean it abruptly just shuts down completely, rather than crashes to desktop?

I put the fan up to 100% on GPU Tweak II didn't help I have had the side of the case off aswell doesn't seem to help either

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BF4 is very CPU intensive compared to other games, are you using any overclock? I'd keep an eye on CPU temps with something like coretemp. It could be your GPU either.

This.

If only BF4 is crashing it tis very very likely that the CPU is hitting TJMax or is unstable.

ED E wrote: »
    This.

If only BF4 is crashing it tis very very likely that the CPU is hitting TJMax or is unstable.

So the card is not compatible with the CPU. I have a i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

So the card is not compatible with the CPU. I have a i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz

that's not what he said at all. :confused:

you may not have Thermal paste properly applied to the CPU.

Until we know the temps its crashing at, not much information we can give you.

Advertisement