Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Must be a very recent upgrade. Certainly wasn't working a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was working last sat is all I can say

I actually had my passport with me but

used the card as it was in my pocket whereas the passport was in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Flat bed readers now installed in t1. They accept the cards, placing on the left hand side, photo facing upwards. T2 to be done in the very near future.

So they have got rid of the passport grabbing machines then?

Is that question addressed at me?

Don’t know. I’m in airport roughly 3 time a year

All I know was what I said above. Was working on sat and very quick threw in fairness

• Advertisement

Just while I’m on my lunch break I’ll add that Ryan air were bloody awful keeping every one Cooped up on the plane for ages after it landed in Dublin.

If you are listening Michael o Leary get da finger out and while you are at it don’t wind down gigginstown it is a great operation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

On a directly related topic - not, you will be pleased to hear, CTA ....

The Dublin Airport capacity study

see https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/Helios%20capacity%20assessment%20workstream%202/P2410D008_Final_Report_v1_5_1%20(clean).pdf

says max of 4100 passengers per hour For T1 ( end of Page 60) based on a max 10 min wait per 95% of passengers.

As it seems clear to me that these numbers are being breached in the evening arrival peaks ( way over 5% of people are waiting more than 10 minutes ) is it not time for the organizations to get the finger out.

As is clear in the document the limited T1 hall size slows you down but it doesnt matter - the capacity is not there to process that many in time.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    On a directly related topic - not, you will be pleased to hear, CTA ....

The Dublin Airport capacity study

see https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/Helios%20capacity%20assessment%20workstream%202/P2410D008_Final_Report_v1_5_1%20(clean).pdf

says max of 4100 passengers per hour For T1 ( end of Page 60) based on a max 10 min wait per 95% of passengers.

As it seems clear to me that these numbers are being breached in the evening arrival peaks ( way over 5% of people are waiting more than 10 minutes ) is it not time for the organizations to get the finger out.

As is clear in the document the limited T1 hall size slows you down but it doesnt matter - the capacity is not there to process that many in time.

Agreed!

Yep

Not before time.

The design was utterly daft and didn’t operate in what one would consider an intuitive way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

you will have people backed up on Pier 1 Skybridge.

Had that on arrival at 20.30 last night. Luckily a quick thinking person hit the emergency stop on the travellator and saved a lot of people getting caught in a serious crush...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Anyone travelling to the states from Dublin take note that their have been massive delays at CBP in the last few days. Seems to be just the sheer volume of passengers causing the problem

Yes that is correct for this time of year its a circus and very little beyond the gates , do NOT cut it close .

There are no serious dining options beyond the CBP gates and in fact anywhere after the main concourse. Unless you are on the first CBP Outbound which I think is the United to Newark at 0920 then expect 3 hours at the airport to not be enough if you want to eat and shop in peace. Seriously !

For example - taking tomorrow there are 6 USA flights from 1135-1300 - NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, San Fran, DC, Newark , all widebodies with about 250 folks on each.

thats 1500 people who all want to get through that queue at the same time.

Do yourself a favour and arrive early

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Flat bed readers now installed in t1. They accept the cards, placing on the left hand side, photo facing upwards. T2 to be done in the very near future.

This is great and all but completely pointless if the e-gates are going to be closed most of the time :(

This is great and all but completely pointless if the e-gates are going to be closed most of the time :(

I suspect part of the reason for the various closures was issues with the original design of the gates (the grabbing function).

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I suspect part of the reason for the various closures was issues with the original design of the gates (the grabbing function).

Amongst other reasons, yes

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There was a piece on the news on 01/06 about self service machines taking the card now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0601/1052963-dublin-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Still using the crap low throughput hardware though

Dublin
    1. Wait for person to exit and gate to close
    2. Enter
    3. Place passport on scanner
    4. Bio metrics check
    5. Exit

Germany
    1. The reader is on the outside, so you can scan your passport while the person ahead is inside the machine
    2. Person ahead exits (German machines are routinely left running without a human behind the desk)
    3. Doors open (any will only open if the passport is good, so no more getting trapped in the machine)
    4. Bio metrics check (person behind is now scanning their passport)
    5. Exit

Result is a way faster system which works very well and seems to get faster the more you use it...

Dublin
    2. Enter
    4. Bio metrics check
    5. Exit

Germany
    1. The reader is on the outside, so you can scan your passport while the person ahead is inside the machine
    2. Person ahead exits (German machines are routinely left running without a human behind the desk)
    3. Doors open (any will only open if the passport is good, so no more getting trapped in the machine)
    5. Exit

Result is a way faster system which works very well and seems to get faster the more you use it...

Problem with the 2 part scan (they were there for the original trial), is the end user. The amount of people who just attempted to crash right through the exit doors was something else. The current setup can still hit very high numbers with a low processing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There was a piece on the news on 01/06 about self service machines taking the card now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0601/1052963-dublin-airport/

I used the card in it 10 days ago. Recognised it much more quickly than it does for my passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Marcusm wrote: »
    I used the card in it 10 days ago. Recognised it much more quickly than it does for my passport.

Wish I had known, I went through Dublin airport on 26/05. Had the card with me too. I went up to the desk. I''ll know in future.

Dublin
    2. Enter
    4. Bio metrics check
    5. Exit

Germany
    5. Exit

It is still possible to get trapped in the machine if the persons biometrics do not match the passport entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It is still possible to get trapped in the machine if the persons biometrics do not match the passport entered.

That is a desirable outcome, the Dublin implementation means you can enter with a non RFID or non EEA passport or even ID card. The German system won't let you in unless the passport comes up clear on the system, so only traps people who don't match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Plenty of twitter activity tonight about congestion in both terminal immigration areas. At least trump is going to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wish I had known, I went through Dublin airport on 26/05. Had the card with me too. I went up to the desk. I''ll know in future.

I was walking to the desk holding the card when the steward/attendant told me. Hit rate with passport 50/50 Dublin, generally 0% elsewhere. Passport card processed immediately. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I've been in a few airports with the German style system mentioned above. It really is critical path thinking done well - in other words, whomever built and then whomever procured the hardware was using their head and had a knowledge of how this sort of thing might go. 2 users are effectively moving through the machine at any one time and when someone's documents won't work, they're not trapped in the machine - instead they get sent off to the regular check or, if they can't figure it out themselves, get swept along by a staffer.

And yes the queues yesterday were apparently quite something - one view from twitter. A regularly scheduled reminder that when terminal 2 opened in November 2010, it was labelled a giant white elephant of unneeded capacity...

A regularly scheduled reminder that when terminal 2 opened in November 2010, it was labelled a giant white elephant of unneeded capacity...

Although thats true whats its relevance ? Thats a T1 queue ; the people in that queue dont give a toss all they want to do is get out and spend money in the economy.

Increasing the size of the immigration hall wont make a blind bit of difference except move the queue somewhere else. If , for example, the limiting factor is numbers of desks - which at peak time is reasonable - then bus some flights to the 300 gates and use the spare desks there - you end up in the same baggage hall .

Limiting factor here is of course number of INIS staff which is its own problem but they could ask AGS to cover some if needed, they did it there for quite a time. Department of Justice could help solve this if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There were reportedly queues in both terminals, and in the wider context what that says is that even more capacity is needed - terminals, piers, and staff at immigration. The latter bit is a difficult one as I'm not sure you can really hire in temporary seasonal workers for immigration checks and maintain the quality and standard required.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Came through T1 arrivals last night about 12.10am - breezed through passport control. The backlog was getting out of the airport and into the city centre, one Aircoach every 30 mins with people being turned away, was 1.45am by the time I got into the city centre.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There were reportedly queues in both terminals, and in the wider context what that says is that even more capacity is needed - terminals, piers, and staff at immigration. The latter bit is a difficult one as I'm not sure you can really hire in temporary seasonal workers for immigration checks and maintain the quality and standard required.

As a temporary measure DOJ could authorize AGS overtime for example. As I said 300 gate desks are largely idle . DAA could happily direct airlines bus flights across to there ( behind the scenes whinging about "who pays" of course )

Advertisement