Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just came back from UK through T2. Showed my driver's license and was asked for a boarding pass to prove I came from the UK. However I had checked in online and the boarding pass was no longer available. I showed the itinerary on the app but was told in this situation I'd have to show a passport in future. Not sure what's correct in this situation.

Also, all of the automatic machines were roped off tonight.

You can download your pass on a smart phone. They have the right to ask for the pass to ensure you are in CTA because it's the only proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You can download your pass on a smart phone. They have the right to ask for the pass to ensure you are in CTA.

Grand. Good to know in future. I really wish they sorted themselves out and just had the random checks for passengers like they seem to manage in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Simon, we have been over this one hundred times in here and we are not allowed get into a CTA discussion here but FYI, the CTA is an arrangement not something which explicitly exists in law or in international treaties. Irish law allows for passport free air travel between the UK and Ireland for eligible nationalities. It’s up to you as the passenger to demonstrate your eligibility to not present a passport. Also, the UK’s law on how the arrangement applies is different (never mind the airport set ups). So, there really isn’t anything to “sort out” as you suggest other than passengers being familiar with legally what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Im not devolving the thread back into that again, as you say it's been done to death, just frustrating sometimes.

The main issue is that if you check in via an app, the boarding pass is no longer available at the destination and, if you were unaware of the requirement, it can cause a potential problem.

Remains your responsibility though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Im not devolving the thread back into that again, as you say it's been done to death, just frustrating sometimes.

The main issue is that if you check in via an app, the boarding pass is no longer available at the destination and, if you were unaware of the requirement, it can cause a potential problem.

Simple suggestion would be to take a screen capture of the boarding card before getting on to the aircraft. It's safer to have a screen capture anyway, while in theory there are wifi networks at the airport, relying on that it will be working when you get to the checks is not ideal, so a screen capture before entering the process gives a backup that will cover both the boarding side and the arrivals side, and uses a lot less battery if things for some reason are getting tight in that area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Just arrived from the UK to stand inn a cue a mile long. Finally it was my turn to move after 30 min just to come around the corner to see a sea of people. Only 4 out of 8 booth open and all the shiny new e-pass closed. It took me 65 minutes to get through. What a joke? I always wonder who writes these rosters.

Just arrived from the UK to stand inn a cue a mile long. Finally it was my turn to move after 30 min just to come around the corner to see a sea of people. Only 4 out of 8 booth open and all the shiny new e-pass closed. It took me 65 minutes to get through. What a joke? I always wonder who writes these rosters.

Exactly when and where did you arrive? Anywhere with eGates has more than 8 desks so
    “Fake news” comes to mind. T1 (with Gates) has 11 desks; T2 (with Gates) has 12 desks; so to say only 4 of 8 open is a falsehood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

so to say only 4 of 8 open is a falsehood.
    Tired people after a long travel may not be up for fully counting. 65 minutes is a joke no matter what time you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I arrived into that immigration area in the old B pier earlier this week mid afternoon, there was quite a large queue but the EU passports were through in about five minutes, the other queue was much bigger and barely moving.

That area must make for an awful first impression for visitors arriving in Ireland (both LH and Swiss use these gates), it's really dated and badly laid out. Plus it absolutely reeks in the summer as does the departure area directly above it. I dread arriving or departing from that pier, it's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You can download your pass on a smart phone. They have the right to ask for the pass to ensure you are in CTA because it's the only proof.

TBH I'd always screenshot the boarding pass in any app. Then its in your Gallery, not in an app that often logs out (Aer Lingus) or an app that updates all the time and wants you to occasionally re-do your password (Ryanair).

Once I check in I screenshot the barcode and done!

I arrived into that immigration area in the old B pier earlier this week mid afternoon, there was quite a large queue but the EU passports were through in about five minutes, the other queue was much bigger and barely moving.

That area must make for an awful first impression for visitors arriving in Ireland (both LH and Swiss use these gates), it's really dated and badly laid out. Plus it absolutely reeks in the summer as does the departure area directly above it. I dread arriving or departing from that pier, it's awful.

Try’s working in it Billy - we threatened the daa with withdrawing from the area over the smell. It freezes in the winter too.

trellheim wrote: »
    Tired people after a long travel may not be up for fully counting. 65 minutes is a joke no matter what time you arrive.

Trell - tired people should not present “facts” then! You know we have been over this a hundred times; the guy is talking about the main t1 area which we all know is not fit for purpose even after the money spent on it in the last year. It’s fundamentally the wrong design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Arrived into Pier B this evening on the Swiss at 18.50. Only 2 officers on duty and it took 20 minutes to get through on the EU side. Ethiopian had arrived before us so the non eu side looked even slower. Having transitted through a modern airport like ZRH it must leave a poor first impression on visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Try’s working in it Billy - we threatened the daa with withdrawing from the area over the smell. It freezes in the winter too.
    You have my sympathy, I pass through DUB at least once a week and I dread the 300 gates, where the smell of sewage or blocked drains is really overpowering, especially in the summer.
    A couple of weeks ago I went to sit down in the seating area to have a sandwich and we had to withdraw from the area the smell was so strong.
    I think it's probably something to do with the design of the facilities with toilets in the centre and no proper ventilation or extraction system to vent the smell.
    It's the same on the departure level and the arrival level.
    I'm surprised nobody from the airlines using those gates hasn't taken it up with the DAA.

You have my sympathy, I pass through DUB at least once a week and I dread the 300 gates, where the smell of sewage or blocked drains is really overpowering, especially in the summer.
    A couple of weeks ago I went to sit down in the seating area to have a sandwich and we had to withdraw from the area the smell was so strong.
    I think it's probably something to do with the design of the facilities with toilets in the centre and no proper ventilation or extraction system to vent the smell.
    It's the same on the departure level and the arrival level.
    I'm surprised nobody from the airlines using those gates hasn't taken it up with the DAA.

It comes up routinely from airlines but they often want contact stands with air bridges and only Pier B in T1 can do that. Also there is a sense that it is the premium T1 product because of the short walk and the proximity to the full range of food\retail outlets.

The smell is caused, we were told, by stagnant water (waste) is outlets which have become full and it is worse depending on wind direction. Sometimes you couldn’t write it. It gets her blasted routinely but I think a major engineering solution is needed but when that will be done who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of curiosity was there passport checks on the papal visit or are they “above all that”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

As a head of state he does not need a passport.

His entourage would be on Vatican Diplomatic passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As a head of state he does not not need a passport.

I was just curious as I saw them all getting off the plane and seem to have just drove out of the airport. There was a big entourage. Lots of journalists as well. The veteran might give us an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

As a head of state he does not need a passport.

His entourage would be on Vatican Diplomatic passports.

All the party were immigrated, as per comment above heads of state do not require such

• Advertisement

Heads of State do require passports; there is no exemption to the Immigration Act 2004 requirements in that regard. Immigration arrangements are made for all visiting delegations of this nature and are operational matters so the detail is not for here. FYI, whilst the Pope was Argentinian and as such would be a non-National requiring permission to enter but he is now Head of State of the Vatican and enjoys free movement in the EU in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Credit where it's due, last night HRH and myself came through T1 at 23:20. We were through in about 90 seconds.

She's a US citizen with an IRP card – and last night the officer she spoke to told her that she can use the EU queues from now on. If this is correct this is wonderful news. Has there been a policy change on this Mr Veteran, sir?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, last night HRH and myself came through T1 at 23:20. We were through in about 90 seconds.

She's a US citizen with an IRP card – and last night the officer she spoke to told her that she can use the EU queues from now on. If this is correct this is wonderful news. Has there been a policy change on this Mr Veteran, sir?

Stamp 4s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Only took a few minutes to get through T2 with most desks open this evening at about 1800. No E-Gates working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In from the US on Tuesday lunchtime. Egates all offline. 3 desks open, about a 60 second wait. INIS scanned my passport and were generally abrupt as always. Gardaí always used to more friendly.

Disgrace that taxpayer money is being spent on technology that doesn't work. MAKE it work.

Generally speaking however, I would rather wait 10 mins or 20 mins in a queue than have undesirables entering the country. So overall a positive that the Guard on the desk is no longer simply looking for you to wave a purple and gold harp in his or her general direction and let you through without question.

sdanseo wrote: »
    In from the US on Tuesday lunchtime. Egates all offline. 3 desks open, about a 60 second wait. INIS scanned my passport and were generally abrupt as always. Gardaí always used to more friendly.

Disgrace that taxpayer money is being spent on technology that doesn't work. MAKE it work.

Generally speaking however, I would rather wait 10 mins or 20 mins in a queue than have undesirables entering the country. So overall a positive that the Guard on the desk is no longer simply looking for you to wave a purple and gold harp in his or her general direction and let you through without question.

So a 60 second wait and you think an extra two staff should be paid out of “taxpayers” money to watch e-gates when traffic is light?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

went across to visit family in UK this week.

Passports were checked going in at Bristol, which is probably the first time in over 20 years that they have been checked at a UK entry point.

Maybe they are getting ready for Brexit, or they were looking for a specific passenger.

Came back in Thursday evening, 18:15, we were through the check in less than 30 seconds, there wasn't a queue worth talking about and plenty of staff on, so very much a non event this side.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Checks are becoming more frequent on the UK side. They are definitely getting ready for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've been living in the UK for over 4 years with frequent flights home. Never had my passport checked during the first 18 months or so but for the past 2 and a half years it has been checked every single time I've arrived back to the UK, all flying in and out of Leeds Bradford.

• Advertisement

The checks are mostly intelligence led, wouldn’t take to much notice nor relate it to Brexit. API has come in so data is likely much easier to access and monitor even though they shared before. Its a positive step.

Advertisement