Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Phone Bill...Cancelling Direct Debit??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

SB1988 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I didn't realise I had to pass a test to start a thread!

And my replies are to quick for you? Technology has moved on a lot in recent years if you're not aware of that...

Boards will be asking why new people aren't joining yet this happens all the time. A new person joins Boards, gets slagged & doesn't bother coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Discodog wrote: »
    I can't be arsed. What's your excuse for not providing links to successful prosecutions ?

You insisted everyone was wrong and this was a situation that would exist.
    If that's the case then prove it's happened before?
    You can't so on your way.

There's no need to prove people pay their phone bills it's a pretty ridiculous question to ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

IMO, you have a couple of options:

Just trying not to pay is a bad move

However, Vodafone, billion dollar global company, should be expert in predicting such risks and managing them as only they can.

E.g. if your calls hit outlier thresholds while being made to new places, they have the data to predict / determine fraud.

For example, if your average monthly bill is 50 and when travelling up to 150, if you suddenly make 1000 worth of calls to an African number never called before, they have the data to determine with 99% probability this phone has been stolen. That they haven't utilised this data to drive fraud prevention is part of their systems design and one could argue, they have shared responsibility in such a scenario as the calls are being made through their network.

Arguably, they haven't sufficiently educated about this risks, or what to do to handle them. For most families etc, a bill of over €3000 is way beyond their means to pay. Losing your phone is bad enough but being faced with such a bill is much worse. So you should write some smart letters to them asap and quote anything on their website that hints at best network etc and compare this with any other networks policies of managing such risks.

Good luck!

Yes I have called them, numerous times! And as I said they're having none of it, I have no intention of going in all guns blazing. But I am not willing to let the terms of a contract dictate whether or not I pay the bill for a crime against me. Yes I could have reported it earlier, but technology is not that slow throughout Europe that they couldn't have picked this up sooner...

Oh I see.
    So if Vodafone broke those terms and bumped your price plan by 50% without notice that would be OK? Or is it only you who can break the terms of the agreed contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What are you talking about? I didn't realise I had to pass a test to start a thread!

And my replies are to quick for you? Technology has moved on a lot in recent years if you're not aware of that...

Op don't mind the sanctimonious pricks that frequent this forum giving "advice".
    Other properly helpful posters that may have been through this sort of thing before might be able to give you advice but I can't.

I know one thing for sure is that I would be cancelling the direct debit and see what unfolds after that but there is no way I would be taking a 3k hit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Op don't mind the sanctimonious pricks that frequent this forum giving "advice".
    Other properly helpful posters that may have been through this sort of thing before might be able to give you advice but I can't.

I know one thing for sure is that I would be cancelling the direct debit and see what unfolds after that but there is no way I would be taking a 3k hit.

Report such posts if you see them. Attacking other posters in not acceptable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But it is okay for them to let a phone bill skyrocket in a number of hours and not take appropriate actions to ensure fraud has not taken place?

They would not get live data from every network, as explained already

But it is okay for them to let a phone bill skyrocket in a number of hours and not take appropriate actions to ensure fraud has not taken place?

It's been explained to you that
    A. You agreed to tell them when you lost your phone and decided not to do this.
    No one to blame but yourself.
    B. Call charges run hours behind even when it's in this country, I dont know how long it takes to get up dates from Vodafone spain to Vodafone Ireland but it's certainly not instantaneous.

You shouldn't have signed a contract you weren't happy with!!!

I'd say your great craic all together...:cool:

Oh look insulting people who try to help you. Idiot
    I'm out

Explaining contract terms that are critical to what is likely to happen is valid advice; but the level of aggression from all parties in doing so and responding to it is not useful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

SB1988 wrote:
    The point of this thread was to see has anyone experienced this before, or how far would it go. All you kept staying was how wrong I am. I understand that you think I'm in the wrong, I on the other hand think that a company the size of Vodafone should be able to a better job at protecting its customers considering we pay a small fortune to use their service and lock ourselves into long term contracts.

Had a similar experience with meteor years ago. Phone went missing in Thailand. 800 quid + bill. I was en route to Australia for a year and it should of been cancelled so I ignored it. (Not hard given letters were being sent to my mum's back here). Long story short by time they chased me and went all the legal routes it only came off my ICB last year. It held me up for over a year in trying to get a mortgage. Not to mention not being able to get a loan for so much as a fiver since I came back in 2010. Plead innocence with Vodafone. They might meet you halfway. Whatever the outcome it's not worth the hassle for a grand. You could end up with a bad credit rating that you'd pay twice the original debt to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭dubrov

They might sell the debt to a debt collector but there is zero chance of it going to court..
    The mobile companies do not want to have to justify the massive costs in court (as they can't).
    A judge wouldn't rule in their favour anyway, particularly as you didn't actually make the calls.

T&Cs are irrelevant if they can be proven to be unreasonable.

Phone companies will write off 90% of the cost pretty easily.
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than €50 and insist than any settlement will not affect your credit rating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

dubrov wrote:
    Phone companies will write off 90% of the cost pretty easily. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than €50 and insist than any settlement will not affect your credit rating.

If only it were as easy an insisting something relating to reneging on a contract payment doesnt impact your credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

B. Call charges run hours behind even when it's in this country, I dont know how long it takes to get up dates from Vodafone spain to Vodafone Ireland but it's certainly not instantaneous

They do not run hours behind in this country, and how long it takes for Vodafone Spain to update Vodafone Ireland is Vodafone's issue, what with it being the same company and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

L1011 wrote: »
    They would not get live data from every network, as explained already

If the OP were on PAYG, would Vodafone therefore still allow thousands of euro worth of calls without detecting it? If so, this would be an incredibly easy way to scam the phone company. Without a contract in place, how will they reclaim their losses from the customer, who should surely be entitled to assume the no further calls can be made once credit runs out?

The OP should definitely question the 24 hours' worth of calls in a 12 hour window. If these did indeed all take place, then anything above 12 hours' worth of calls, must be the responsibility of Vodafone, as it would be physically impossible for the customer to make all of those calls in that period. Is it possible to use a cloned SIM concurrently with the original?

Either way, Vodafone would need to prove that the calls took place. They're not exactly on to a winner by claiming multiple calls happened concurrently.

hognef wrote: »
    If the OP were on PAYG, would Vodafone therefore still allow thousands of euro worth of calls without detecting it? If so, this would be an incredibly easy way to scam the phone company. Without a contract in place, how will they reclaim their losses from the customer, who should surely be entitled to assume the no further calls can be made once credit runs out?

Much more likely that the call class (international premium rate while roaming) would be blocked entirely without a deposit being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Finally one person who realise this is a troll.

Wake up everyone else - this is a troll.

@CeilingFly - I warned you previously in the Hotel Room Damage thread to use Report Post rather than call out suspected trolling on thread. At this stage I'm beginning to suspect that you are the one trolling. Stop this type of posting please

dudara

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Finally one person who realise this is a troll.

Wake up everyone else - this is a troll.

Report people if you think they are trolling.

Any further acting up in this thread is going to cards - there have been sufficient warnings.

Much more likely that the call class (international premium rate while roaming) would be blocked entirely without a deposit being made.

Perhaps, but that doesn't answer my question. There's no way they'd ever ask for a deposit of several thousand euro.

And do we even know for sure they were premium numbers? I'm not particularly familiar with Vodafone rates or calling Africa, but I know Meteor charges €1.69/min for calls within the US. 1 hour = €101, 24 hours = €2433. It's not entirely unlikely that the OP's phone/SIM was used to call perfectly normal numbers in Africa.

• Advertisement

Again, if I could show ye the call log I would. I quizzed them on it but no answer for me. I can see it all though, the calls overlap so again I have no idea how this stuff works...

No worries, I'm not doubting you, just pointing out that you should have some decent arguments if they keep insisting (via the call logs) the calls happened concurrently.

Pelvis wrote: »
    They do not run hours behind in this country, and how long it takes for Vodafone Spain to update Vodafone Ireland is Vodafone's issue, what with it being the same company and all.

They aren't the same company.
    They are two entirely seperate companies that are owned by the same umbrella company.

Perhaps, but that doesn't answer my question. There's no way they'd ever ask for a deposit of several thousand euro.

And do we even know for sure they were premium numbers? I'm not particularly familiar with Vodafone rates or calling Africa, but I know Meteor charges €1.69/min for calls within the US. 1 hour = €101, 24 hours = €2433. It's not entirely unlikely that the OP's phone/SIM was used to call perfectly normal numbers in Africa.

There's also a likelyhood that the roaming partner is able to query the effective credit on an account before initiating a call. On a billpay that's rather a lot.

Again, if I could show ye the call log I would. I quizzed them on it but no answer for me. I can see it all though, the calls overlap so again I have no idea how this stuff works...

What type of phone is it? Could it have been a multi person call?
    Either that or they cloned the card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just wondering how far companies go when pursuing this kind of thing.

Reason I ask is this - Moved into a property about 4years ago and bills kept coming in addressed to a woman who no longer lived here. They were coming from two different phone companies. We kept sending them back "no longer at this address" yet they kept coming and coming. I know I'm not supposed to but one day I just said to myself "feck it, I'm opening it" because I must have sent about 20 of the letters back at this stage so figured that nobody in either phone company was listening to me so I might as well see what it was all about.

It was a notification letter to the woman stating that they had passed her debt over to a debt collection agency. Her bill totalled 6k and this was just one of the companies!!

That was the last letter we ever got from them. Either their letter was just scare tactics and they never pursued further or they finally accepted the fact that she no longer lived here. However, if it was the latter, nobody ever called to the house to check that we were telling the truth or to make sure that in fact I wasn't the woman in question, just sending back the letters, pretending that I had moved.

Never ever brought this up with the landlord, so it is possible that the companies involved could have contacted him as the reg'd owner of house to check if this woman was in fact MIA. But, something to ponder. Do they pursue these things? I don't know, I'm just wondering. 6k is loads of money but it's not 6k of tangible goods. It's not costing Vodafone 6k to replace that 'time' if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They aren't the same company.
    They are two entirely seperate companies that are owned by the same umbrella company.

They are two different companies owned by the same company.

Right so...

There's also a likelyhood that the roaming partner is able to query the effective credit on an account before initiating a call. On a billpay that's rather a lot.

If that is true, then wouldn't that be an easy way for the home network to monitor for interesting calling patterns? The amount of credit on an account is meaningless without knowledge of the potential cost of the call (which only the home network would know, and then only if the number about to be called is supplied).

Also, "rather a lot" shouldn't be as much as several thousand euro.

Pelvis wrote: »
    They are two different companies owned by the same company.

Right so...

Yes that's right.
    Vodafone is a huge multinational cooporation made up of hundreds of smaller companies which include Vodafone UK, Spain, Greece, Ireland, US, France, Asia, Iceland and so on.
    It's revenue is in the billions and it's one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world.
    They operate by buying a company and re-branding it as Vodafone 'country'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Good point.

Any multinational companies, regardless of them operating as separate entities, will have an internal intranet to work share across their offices. This is how they can share data...

No they won't are you for real?

• Advertisement

If that is true, then wouldn't that be an easy way for the home network to monitor for interesting calling patterns? The amount of credit on an account is meaningless without knowledge of the potential cost of the call (which only the home network would know, and then only if the number about to be called is supplied).

Also, "rather a lot" shouldn't be as much as several thousand euro.

Not if the the remote network knows the charges, which they would.

There is very limited if any ability to try and transfer responsibility to Vodafone here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement