Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Phone Bill...Cancelling Direct Debit??

Options
  • 18-05-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How about that weather?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

SB1988 wrote: »

My question is, has anyone cancelled their D/D and been able to get on fine with their lives, credit ratings, new phone companies, etc. First of all there is no way I can afford this bill, and secondly I clearly did not make these calls. I'd like to think that if it went to court I'd have a strong chance at winning...

First things first - sorry your phone was nicked.

As for the rest - you could cancel the DD and try and get on with your life - but it will not mean the bill will go away.

You will owe the 1k and it will prob get sold on to a debt collector. You wont get your day in court, but even if you did you wouldn't 'win' as you signed the contract and have responsibility for the bill.

Take the risk and cancel the DD - but you are then breaking the contact so expect the problems that arise from that.

Alternatively - try vodafone again - maybe see if they can take a bit off and come up with a repayment plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can cancel your DD but they will come after you for the bill and the cancellation charge for the rest of your contract.
    It's up to you to contact them if your phone is lost or stolen and you agreed to do that when you signed the t&c's so you have no hope of winning anything unfortunately.

Best thing is to contact them and ask can you pay it off over time.

Edit-from the t&c's-
    6.2 If your SIM Card or Equipment is lost or stolen after we have delivered it to you, you must tell us as soon as possible so that we can prevent further use on it. You must pay for all Charges due until you tell us. You must also continue to pay the line-rental Charges until this Agreement has ended as described in clause 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is a slim possibility that phone insurance or holiday insurance may cover some of it

Yes, I understand all of that about the T&C's of the contract. But even if I noticed it went missing when it did, they're call centres don't open til 10am, that would have still been 6/7 hours of calls made so what could I have done then?

Apparently they noticed it was suspicious but this was after the 24 calls were made. Surely Vodafone should have a system in place that can stop phone bills from reaching those heights especially when roaming??

PS. It is considerably more than €1000...

The lost/stolen reporting line is 24 hour.

Perhaps contact the reps on boards for help? They are lovely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

SB1988 wrote:
    PS. It is considerably more than €1000...

How much was the bill? If you're gonna bail on the DD, surely you can tell us? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PS. It is considerably more than ?1000...

Can you be more specific?

If its ?3000+ its in the range where the legal costs of finding against you are acceptable then the sheriff comes and reposes your car to pay off the debt.

TALK
    TO
    VODAFONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can sheriffs get involved in private matters??

You dont pay.
    They chase it
    You dont pay.
    They lodge with court
    Court finds against you
    You still dont pay
    Sheriff recovers the funds from your property.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can sheriffs get involved in private matters??

That is effectively what they're there for. If its over 3k it is inevitable that it will be chased in court if you do a head in the sand/DD cancel approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It is more than €3000...

My last hope is my insurance so really.

You didn't report it lost/stolen so insurance won't cover. They might have covered a few hours or a day at a push, but you left it much longer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

SB1988 wrote:
    My last hope is my insurance so really.

Get back on to vodafone again and make your case to their billing or collections department . I know someone who unknown to himself ran up a bill of over 5000 for mobile data use abroad- his kids had been watching you tube videos on his phone when he though they were playing games on it. He persevered with vodafone and got it wrote down to 500 instead. Keep at them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I would it find it highly unusual for a company the size of Vodafone not to have some kind of fraud detection in place. Allowing the bill to run up hundreds of € worth of charges is one thing, but letting a bill get over €3000 is recklessness on their part IMO. It's in their best interests for identify fraud cases, so why didn't they here? Calls to certain destinations, such as Africa in this case, are massive red flags for Telecoms companies.

Let's face it, there is no question about canceling the DD, of course you will! Who in their right mind would pay it?

What happens next however, is another question. I would make them an offer, think of the maximum figure you'd be willing to pay and offer them 70% to give yourself room to maneuver. Your bill is 3k but the cost to them is probably not even half that. I'm sure they'd much prefer partial payment and continued customer over selling the debt off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know with data usage they used to be able to write off 90% but not sure how calls would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

SB1988 wrote:
    My question is, has anyone cancelled their D/D and been able to get on fine with their lives, credit ratings, new phone companies, etc. First of all there is no way I can afford this bill, and secondly I clearly did not make these calls. I'd like to think that if it went to court I'd have a strong chance at winning...

Cancel the DD straight away so it doesn't allow them to automatically go in and clear your account on the billing date, that is if you have the funds in bank account. You will have to negotiate with them after that though but at least your in a better negotiating position .

You will have to pay a certain amount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I'd write or email into them, keep asking to escalate it.
    You say you wouldn't be able to pay this, explain that to them, tell them who you are job etc

When someone sees it in black and white they might be more understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

was your phone/sim unlocked? how could they use so much data?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cancel the DD & politely email them explaining that you consider the costs & situation to be unreasonable. State that, unless it can be amicable resolved, you are willing to allow a Court to decide what is appropriate.

AFAIK Vodafone have a duty to mitigate their loss. Phones get lost & stolen all the time so they should be prepared for it. If they continue to hassle you then complain by email, don't discuss the matter as you want a written record.

Don't assume, that because your contract says x y z, that you are in the wrong. Contracts must be reasonable & fair. I would also raise a formal case with COMREG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Pelvis wrote: »
    I would it find it highly unusual for a company the size of Vodafone not to have some kind of fraud detection in place.

It's a question of timing. Their reporting probably isn't in real time, and added to the fact that it didn't occur on the home network which might delay it further.

OP: You should be aware that mobile operators now share details of bad debtors with each other and it is possible for one provider to deny service to someone due to outstanding balance with another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

AngryLips wrote: »

OP: You should be aware that mobile operators now share details of bad debtors with each other and it is possible for one provider to deny service to someone due to outstanding balance with another provider.

have you a source for this? I would have thought with Data Protection legislation and the incoming GDPR regulations two separate private companies would not be able to share individual's financial records?

AngryLips wrote: »
    It's a question of timing. Their reporting probably isn't in real time, and added to the fact that it didn't occur on the home network which might delay it further.

I think that they would have to be careful unless a Court ruled that the amount was due. It's defamation otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you were on holidays, I'm assuming that the calls were made, not on vodafone's network, but a foreign carrier?
    Vodafone won't get an immediate notification of the call from the foreign network - it's probably delivered by a batch process, so it's difficult for them to block the phone for suspected fraudulent activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It is probably worth giving Comreg (the communications regulator) a call to see what their stance is on it. I think you will need to work through the Vodafone escalation processes before you can lodge a complaint with Comreg but maybe they can give you some general guidance (hopefully in your favour).

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-services/home-phone/billing-and-disputed-charges/

The site seems to be down now but when I checked earlier I think there were escalation details on this page.

https://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/custcare/escalation/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes my phone had a thumb print for access, and failing that it had a 4 digit pin. I also brought this up with them but they had no answer...

Ok - that's very odd. They might have swapped the SIM into another phone and thus bypassed the lock on your phone

Write a letter of formal complaint to Vodafone, outlining your case. Make sure that it is marked as formal complaint. Tell them that you are disputing the charges. However, your failure to immediately report the phone loss is going to work against you. But you might be able to get some leniency

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I know with data usage they used to be able to write off 90% but not sure how calls would work.

Premium rate calls impose a significant expense on the operator, data does not

I would not make any offer until you are certain that it will be accepted. It could easily be seen as an admission of liability. Personally I wouldn't pay more than €50.

Formal complaint to Vodafone followed by COMREG. Remember to log everything & the time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

whippet wrote: »
    have you a source for this? I would have thought with Data Protection legislation and the incoming GDPR regulations two separate private companies would not be able to share individual's financial records?

From Vodafone's Bill Pay T&Cs:

47. I understand that by entering this Agreement, I am agreeing that if I do not pay my full bill on time so I have overdue payments over a certain amount, my information may be shared with Credit Insights so operators can check this information when I apply for their services in future. I understand that extra information on this is available on Vodafone’s website. Where you do not pay your bill in full and on time, if the overdue payment is over a certain amount, your information may be shared with Credit Insights. Credit Insights member operators can check this information when you apply for their services in future to help those operators assess your application. This information will include name, address, date of birth, account and arrears details. This information will be held by a service provider to Credit Insights that may keep this information for 6 years from your last activity relating to your debt . Where you do not agree to information sharing with Credit Insights and access to your information by member operators you have the choice when you apply to instead buy our prepaid services.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/bill-pay.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I suppose the question Vodafone will ask is - why didn't you ring us straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

dudara wrote: »
    Ok - that's very odd. They might have swapped the SIM into another phone and thus bypassed the lock on your phone

Write a letter of formal complaint to Vodafone, outlining your case. Make sure that it is marked as formal complaint. Tell them that you are disputing the charges. However, your failure to immediately report the phone loss is going to work against you. But you might be able to get some leniency

they reported it when they noticed, I would have thought within 24 hours is acceptable, however the OP should have done before leaving and not waiting until they got home.
    OP how long from when phone was lost to when you reported it missing,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Vodafone are an international provider, I was on Vodafone Spain...

How do you know what network the thief used, to call Africa?

When roaming, the person with your phone can manually select an alternative carrier other than Vodafone Spain. My point was that it's unreasonable for you to expect Vodafone to immediately bar all calls on your account when they may not be immediately aware of these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

dilallio wrote: »
    How do you know what network the thief used, to call Africa?

When roaming, the person with your phone can manually select an alternative carrier other than Vodafone Spain. My point was that it's unreasonable for you to expect Vodafone to immediately bar all calls on your account when they may not be immediately aware of these calls.

So... for the rest of us lucky enought not to have this happen to us- is there a way we can contact Eir/ Vodafone / Three etc to put a 'limit' / 'stop' on our phones to stop this happening!!!

Would absolutely ruin me financially if I had a €3000 bill arrive in my door....

• Advertisement

That is the point I am trying to understand, how could they not have a system in place that puts a limit on your bill until it is confirmed that you are the user? And when they actually did notice something was wrong (24 calls later) they cancelled the phone and I didn't even receive an email/call/text to see if I was using it...

Your point is a bit confusing. You didn't take responsibility for your own phone then you complain Vodafone didn't switch off the phone and deal with the problem for you but it turns out they actually did? But then your annoyed they didn't call you to ask....huh :)

Calls don't update in real time especially when you are roaming.
    Op you didn't call them for 36 hours you've no one to blame but yourself-talk to Vodafone and work something out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement