Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shackleton Park, Lucan

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Well good to know I spent my hard earned money on a tenement so, thanks for letting us know. If you were to ask most people residing in Shackleton they would tell you it’s a lovely estate. Your comments are way over the top and kind of offensive to those of us who live there (and happy to do so). How you can form such an opinion without having lived in the place is ridiculous.

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Their opinion is a very negative one to have for someone who has no vested interest in the estate, if you're in the market then just move on, no need to take it personally that the estate doesn't fit your needs/wants. If you're happy to live in Enfield/Kilcock then one of the biggest towns in Dublin is probably the last place you'd want to look. Comparing the two is apples to oranges.

There's definitely room for improvement with public transport, an additional time has been added to the morning and evening but if the 25 isn't regular enough you can ride a bike 5 minutes to the train station to get the 25b or SuperValu to get the 25a.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 girodav

Hi all, we are in the process of buying a house in phase 3 (Shackleton Lawn, north-west of Arlie Park) and we just received our contracts. The related SDCC planning permission attached to our contracts mentions a traveller accommodation. Does anyone know where it is supposed to be? I can't find any precise information on the SDCC website. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

I am keen for a 3 bed house however agents saying all sold out :-(.

pandaa wrote: »
    I am keen for a 3 bed house however agents saying all sold out :-(.

Fingers crossed you'll get a cancellation. Our house was a cancellation in phase 2.

If you have the option of a cancellation be quick, you'll likely be up against people putting their names on houses they haven't even seen. When we went to the cancellation viewing people were there asking where the houses were, what the difference was etc. Keep in mind the cancellation list clearly marked what number house you got and had them marked terraced, end of terrace etc and the map was available on the brochure. We had already had a walk around and looked at the different houses. Was a kick in the teeth that someone else got it without even knowing which one it was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

Well good to know I spent my hard earned money on a tenement so, thanks for letting us know. If you were to ask most people residing in Shackleton they would tell you it’s a lovely estate. Your comments are way over the 5top and kind of offensive to those of us who live there (and happy to do so). How you can form such an opinion without having lived in the place is ridiculous.

I wouldn't worry this person clearly has no clue. We bought our house in 2018 on the crescent for 375 and there are ones selling now for 430 (one even sold for 455 which had planning permission for an extension). We already have well over 100k in equity and the fact that semi detached houses are becoming less common in new developments will mean house prices in Shackleton and similar estates will only go one way.

Also in relation to public transport there will be a bus directly runnin through Shackleton, a road going directly to the train station and the Luas will be coming out to the SuperValu centre (of not even closer to the estate) in the next 10 years - what more public transport do people want?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whatever about the other transport options- I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Luas- they've been promising a Luas for Lucan since 1998.........

I know it was abandoned in 2008. We've been contacted recently as an interested party (we as in my role in my job) to advise that it is part of a 10 year objective - how true that is remains to be seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Does anybody know which estates are council houses? Shackleton Terrace? There's already some trouble there.

No Shackleton terrace is private rented. There is literally no more trouble in Shackleton than any other estate the negative people on here are clearly people who don't live here.

I've lived in Shackleton since early 2018 and can count on one hand the incidents during that time. A friend of mine manages a few other estates around Dublin and there have been far more incidents.

• Advertisement

No Shackleton terrace is private rented. There is literally no more trouble in Shackleton than any other estate the negative people on here are clearly people who don't live here.

I've lived in Shackleton since early 2018 and can count on one hand the incidents during that time. A friend of mine manages a few other estates around Dublin and there have been far more incidents.

I don't know why you're lying about this. There are definitely council housing tenants there. Those apartments weren't even put up for sale or rent and there's tenants already there. It's suspicious enough. And there seems to be some issues there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I don't know why you're lying about this. There are definitely council housing tenants there. Those apartments weren't even put up for sale or rent and there's tenants already there. It's suspicious enough. And there seems to be some issues there already.

I think you have this wrong. The apartments are all council owned but none of the houses.

No apartments in Shackleton have been put up for sale for a long time. If you had the brain ability to even Google it you see they were all sold as well as a lot of houses to a large vulture fund. There are a few social housing blocks along shackleton manor but I'm not aware of any trouble from them.

I have absolutely no reason to lie I've lived here for 3 years. There was one issue with a social housing tenant in the large block within the first 3 months that person was then evicted and there has been no trouble since. There was allegedly one incident in the park in phase 2 but I have no idea where that person was from.

People complain about absolutely everything in the WhatsApp groups so if there was any trouble on Shackleton terrace we'd all be aware of it.

The biggest issue here is bike thefts which are people coming from other areas and it's very common in new estates but most of these bikes have either been left outside by accident or been left in the back gardens not locked up.

I think you have this wrong. The apartments are all council owned but none of the houses.

I don't think this is the case. I've been reliably informed that the council has tenants at Shackl. Terrace which is comprised of apartments and duplexes. Also at Manor. Something to keep in mind.

I don't think this is the case. I've been reliably informed that the council has tenants at Shackl. Terrace which is comprised of apartments and duplexes. Also at Manor. Something to keep in mind.

I’ve also lived in the estate for three years and there hasn’t been any sign of trouble at all from my experience. Where in the estate do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Having lived in Adamstown in 2012 when it was slated in the media for being a Ghost Town etc I found it nothing of the sort. Peaceful, larger than normal units and quiet.

The only thing with Shackleton and the adjoining developments is the density, tight management of people parking on pavements and lightening quick reactions to anti social behaviour will be needed to keep things on track.

So what you're saying is you don't live in Shackleton, don't know anything at all about it and someone told you something about it and you decided to come on boards and post a out it? And so what if there is social housing? Do you have an issue with people in social housing? As many have said there has been little trouble in Shackleton from anyone - private or social tenants.

It's strange that you're trying to put people off here after everything has already been sold. You clearly have a vested interest such as working for a rival developer or estate agent. Pathetic

Every new estate has Part V social housing so it's not an issue specific to Shackleton.

The bigger issue is vulture funds buying up 1/3 of the estate leaving less available for families and young couples to buy. People on Boards and Reddit love to complain about houses not being built but nobody ever mentions how foreign and Irish investment companies can buy in bulk just to rent for profit, the 3 bed terraced houses are €2,300 a month. It's ridiculous. With the 150 units in Phase 3 and 38 apartments in Mill owned by vulture funds plus Part V there's at least 253 of the 660 units that weren't available to buy. You can guarantee a handful of those rentals are HAP. Not that it matters but some houses are social, it's not just apartments.

My issue is the large number of rentals. People renting don't care about the estate or the community, evident from some people who throw cigarettes off their balconies, come home drunk shouting at 2am, blast music whenever it's warm out, stealing people's private parking spots etc. There's a lack of respect for the area and other residents. Although this is a minor annoyance more than anything.

Also the crime isn't an issue. A couple of bike thefts pale in comparison to stabbings, drug dealing or car thefts around Lucan over the years and even those are nothing compared to other areas like Neilstown, Blanchardstown or Tallaght. Most bikes are left unlocked out in the open in people's gardens or are poorly locked so they're easy targets. A cheap padlock on a shed is nothing more than an inconvenience. I'm saying this as someone who regularly locked a carbon race bike in the city centre for years.

As much as I'd prefer not to hear about crime I'm not concerned. There was a guy pretending to be a builder to get into people's houses and Gardai were there in minutes, I called them myself due to suspicious activity one night and again they were there in minutes. I've lived in various parts of Lucan for 15 years, it's not perfect but it's a nice area. I think some people just need a reality check.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There’s action already been taken against pavement parking. The management company has contracted a clamping company and persistent pavement parking offenders have received warnings.

Has anybody heard about the potential traveller halting site for Shackleton?

• Advertisement

Are you actually living in the estate or are you just trolling? Your posts are really odd to be honest. I take it that you don’t live here so why the speculation about council tenants and a halting site?

The latest planning for phase 4 shows six detached houses that are marked as Part 5. These are expected to be traveller accommodation. There doesn’t appear to be a halting site.

5uspect wrote: »
    The latest planning for phase 4 shows six detached houses that are marked as Part 5. These are expected to be traveller accommodation. There doesn’t appear to be a halting site.

Where can I find the planning for this? And how would you know this is traveller accommodation as opposed to council housing?

I believe planning documents only show Part V as a guide for meeting fulfilment, I don't believe they end up being council units. Is Shackleton Hall listed as Part V on planning documents as that is almost all of the 10% required?

There's no confirmation of the four traveler accommodation locations yet according to the latest SDZ meeting. Planning documents are subject to change, the parking spaces got shortened by 50cm to 5m from originally planned and the area beside Lidl changed from 20 units to 40 units.

For now I'm just waiting for that road to open up at the entrance of the estate, it will be nice not having to walk down towards Somerton then up to St. Helen's.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I believe planning documents only show Part V as a guide for meeting fulfilment, I don't believe they end up being council units. Is Shackleton Hall listed as Part V on planning documents as that is almost all of the 10% required?

There's no confirmation of the four traveler accommodation locations yet according to the latest SDZ meeting. Planning documents are subject to change, the parking spaces got shortened by 50cm to 5m from originally planned and the area beside Lidl changed from 20 units to 40 units.

For now I'm just waiting for that road to open up at the entrance of the estate, it will be nice not having to walk down towards Somerton then up to St. Helen's.

Are these planning docs available online? I can't seem to find them

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/planning/planning-applications/search-and-view/

Search on the interactive map. Phase four is south of Lidl.

Advertisement