Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shackleton Park, Lucan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conserbia

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked many times on this thread already.

Im interested in the Adamstown train station nearby. By the looks of the development plans there will be a road which goes through the middle of shakelton park and swings around connecting it with adamstown train station.

Does the adamstown train still only go to heuston station and are there plans for it to stop at pearse street and grand canal dock via the new tunnel opened under phoenix park?

Does anybody on here use this train regulalry?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

conserbia wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked many times on this thread already.

Im interested in the Adamstown train station nearby. By the looks of the development plans there will be a road which goes through the middle of shakelton park and swings around connecting it with adamstown train station.

Does the adamstown train still only go to heuston station and are there plans for it to stop at pearse street and grand canal dock via the new tunnel opened under phoenix park?

Does anybody on here use this train regulalry?

Thanks in advance

Tunnel is up and running with trains finishing in Grand Canal Dock.

Google it , there's and a good Irish Times article about that I can't post as I am a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Does anybody know whether the apartments on the right hand side of the estate are private or social housing?

It's very impressive how fast Cairns are building the houses in Shackleton.
    I wish CT would have the same pace in St. Helen's. ...... instead there is delay after delay... (

The new rule is that 10% of all new builds are sold to the council at cost for social houses. In this instance as none of the apartments seem to be up for sale I can only assume that they have all been sold to the council and will become social houses.
    I really hope this isint the case. I emailed Cairn about it months ago but never got a reply.
    We saved for 4 years to buy our house and bought in shakelton as lucan seemed to be a nice area but had I know that someone potentially get a free house I would have bought in a more well established area of lucan. My major gripe at the moment is the absolute lack of parking...everyone is having to dump their cars on the footpath. There needs to be an overflow car park for visitors, it is going to look awful when its completed with even more cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paulclancy

No apartments have been up for sale, the reason for this is that every apartment in Shakelton has been sold to the council for social housing.
    It's been kept very quiet by Cairn(the builders) and Hook and McDonald (the estate agents) as they know it will affect the interest in Shakelton Park.

Its a disgrace really that people like myself and others in Shakelton have worked so hard to buy in a nice area only for 60 odd apartments to be given away right in the middle of Shakelton.

Without painting everyone with the same brush, you can imagine how this will affect the area!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Swissraymond

paulclancy wrote: »
    No apartments have been up for sale, the reason for this is that every apartment in Shakelton has been sold to the council for social housing.
    It's been kept very quiet by Cairn(the builders) and Hook and McDonald (the estate agents) as they know it will affect the interest in Shakelton Park.

Its a disgrace really that people like myself and others in Shakelton have worked so hard to buy in a nice area only for 60 odd apartments to be given away right in the middle of Shakelton.

Without painting everyone with the same brush, you can imagine how this will affect the area!

Do you have any documentation or a credible source to back up what you have posted ?

Sounds to me like neighbourhood gossip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sekaov2511

Just thought it might be a good idea to give all new buyers the heads up. Shackleton Hall is all been given to the council for social housing, It is not segregated through the estate as per our contracts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

For those unaware, Shackleton Hall is the large apt. block in the center of the estate. It's got 60 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

paulclancy wrote: »

Well done, you were spot on, sir/madam!

Have Cairns sold out everything in Shackleton yet? I noticed they have allocated their quota for new development called Airlie (sp??) to this development.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

That sounds like a recipe for disaster- the whole point was that the social housing units were supposed to be dispersed throughout the development?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 flachi

Where are you getting the information about the social housing? The part V gives 10% of the development to the council and I think thats approx 54 properties in shackleton. The apartment block of 60 would cover part V but if its all the apartments/duplexes in Shackleton then its over 200 properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 8090xl

It's not all the apartments - apparently it's 60 units.

In every new development there’s a quota of social housing which has to be met. So, in every new development there’ll be a certain amount of social houses somewhere.

In Shackleton, that’s not different and apparently the quota they’ve agreed on meeting, was in a number of apartments for social housing (not all of the apartments), but this is something you should bear in mind when buying in a new development. All will have social housing, no matter where you buy.

It’s also not so good to assume that social housing is bad or a disaster. In some new developments, most social housing was given to elderly people, for example. Of course, there’s always a chance that a not so nice person ends up there as well, but you could get that person as a neighbour anywhere, no matter where you buy.

In the end, it’s up to each resident, to do their bit to make it a nice neighbourhood to live in, no matter where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lily1122

8090xl wrote: »

In every new development there’s a quota of social housing which has to be met. So, in every new development there’ll be a certain amount of social houses somewhere.

In Shackleton, that’s not different and apparently the quota they’ve agreed on meeting, was in a number of apartments for social housing (not all of the apartments), but this is something you should bear in mind when buying in a new development. All will have social housing, no matter where you buy.

It’s also not so good to assume that social housing is bad or a disaster. In some new developments, most social housing was given to elderly people, for example. Of course, there’s always a chance that a not so nice person ends up there as well, but you could get that person as a neighbour anywhere, no matter where you buy.

In the end, it’s up to each resident, to do their bit to make it a nice neighbourhood to live in, no matter where you live.

It is all of the apartments in Shackleton hall (the big apartment block in the middle of shackleton) this has been confirmed by someone from Cairn.
    The problem with this is that the social housing is concentrated on one spot and not evenly distributed throughout the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

8090xl wrote: »

I’m amazed that people are not aware of this, it has been planning policy for the last ten to fifteen years. It used to be a mix of social and affordable housing but the recession put paid to the affordable housing requirement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I’m amazed that people are not aware of this, it has been planning policy for the last ten to fifteen years. It used to be a mix of social and affordable housing but the recession put paid to the affordable housing requirement.

Policy is to disperse the units throughout a development- most certainly not to create a ghetto of units all in the one location.

Can anybody that is living in Shackleton Park tell me what the traffic is like trying to get onto the N4 towards Dublin in the mornings? When you tell people your buying in Lucan their first response is always 'but the traffic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

flachi wrote: »
    Can anybody that is living in Shackleton Park tell me what the traffic is like trying to get onto the N4 towards Dublin in the mornings? When you tell people your buying in Lucan their first response is always 'but the traffic'.

Depends what time you would be leaving at. From 7.30 onwards the Newcastle road that goes by Supervalu and onto the N4 can be busy enough, its probably better to bypass that road and get onto the N4 further down at woodies.

I leave just before 7.30 and get onto the N4 handily enough down the newcastle road, but I find even ten minutes later and you could be in traffic for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

xalot wrote: »
    For those unaware, Shackleton Hall is the large apt. block in the center of the estate. It's got 60 units.

A friend of mine of mine was up there yesterday and spoke with one of the builders on site.It's not just Shackleton Hall 60 units but also Shackleton Mall
    apartment/duplexes that are going to be Social units .

Shackleton Mall is the so called flagship 2 apartment blocks on the junction
    of Tandy's Court and Shackleton Drive.I can understand the 60 units concentrated
    n the middle of the development but to have 2 Social blocks and the entrance
    of the estate is pure madness ,it goes against all proper planning rules and bypasses the percentage allowed in each estate.

The loophole that was closed that allowed developers transfer a portion of social welfare units to another - reopened another loophole that allowed them to transfer a disproportionate amount of social units to the Council as well as
    money.....This was agreed a few year back by a certain Labour TD

A friend of mine of mine was up there yesterday and spoke with one of the builders on site.It's not just Shackleton Hall 60 units but also Shackleton Mall
    apartment/duplexes that are going to be Social units .

Shackleton Mall is the so called flagship 2 apartment blocks on the junction
    of Tandy's Court and Shackleton Drive.I can understand the 60 units concentrated
    n the middle of the development but to have 2 Social blocks and the entrance
    of the estate is pure madness ,it goes against all proper planning rules and bypasses the percentage allowed in each estate.

The loophole that was closed that allowed developers transfer a portion of social welfare units to another - reopened another loophole that allowed them to transfer a disproportionate amount of social units to the Council as well as
    money.....This was agreed a few year back by a certain Labour TD

The apartments at the entrance are highlighted as part V in the original planning application but the 60 apartments in the centre are not. So it looks like Cairn will use apartments in Shackleton to meet its part V obligation in the new development across from Shackleton (I think it will be called Gandon park).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Really don't see the advantage of that to cairn. Three blocks of social housing across the road is still going to impact interest in the homes. And before the pc brigade get up on their high horses im sure most social housing tenants are grand, but there are a high proportion who are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

flachi wrote: »
    The apartments at the entrance are highlighted as part V in the original planning application but the 60 apartments in the centre are not. So it looks like Cairn will use apartments in Shackleton to meet its part V obligation in the new development across from Shackleton (I think it will be called Gandon park).

Part V just means the developer holds onto the apartments but can only rent
    to the Council for social housing and not directly themselves.

Leasehold for apartments in Ireland are up to 999 years meaning the apartments can be used for social housing for that time and that the developer cannot sell them on the open market.

Large concentrations of Social units factually leads to ghettoization.Families that have bought there need to call a meeting with Cairn Homes and get confirmation
    of the number of Social apartments that have been allocated.

I also spoke with the foreman on site to confirm that both shakelton hall and shakelton mall were all left for social housing only and none were to be sold on the market.
    It seems Cairn have pulled the wool over everyone's eyes here...they are selling all the houses quick before finishing off the apartments. They are effectively building a mini 'ballymun type flats' in the middle of shakelton.
    We all paid betweek €330k and €380k for these houses in such a "great area" but unfortunately the price of these houses will surely drop when the apartments become full and the anti social behaviour starts (im not painting everyone with the same brush..but it only takes a small percentage of bad eggs to ruin an area).
    With further plans for the likes of Cairn to build 2000/3000 houses between shakelton and adamstown train station this means a further 200/300 social houses in the area to add to these social apartments. I regret not buying in a more settled area.
    P.s. cairns email address <snip> if you would like to voice your concerns, they will only listen if they receive enough complaints!

Cairn confirmed there will be 110 apartments for social housing in Shackleton Park and Gandon Park. That is 10% of the total units in the two developments. The majority will clearly be in Shackleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rachel1978

WOW that is quite a lot of social apartments in such close proximity. I am glad I came on to boards to read up on Shakelton Park as I have been very interested in this estate and am currently in talks re a mortgage - looks like ill have to re think any purchase.

I looked at an overall map of what this side of Lucan will look like when they have built all these houses - there is to be another circa 2,000 houses to be built stretching all the way to Adamstown railway station. Unfortunately, that only means one more thing...more social apartment blocks. What happens when these people get older and the anti social behaviour starts? What happens to the price of houses in the area of the hard working people who paid top price for their home and now cant sell due to the small minority bringing the name down?

Anyway rant over...thank you all for your comments and it just goes to show that you need to find out about everything in the area before living there. Councillors and politicians seem to always focus on how we need to give houses to the poor...they always seem to forget about the middle class and how much we need houses and how unfair it is to drop a social housing apartment in the middle of your estate after you worked so hard to buy your lovely home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 barry1988

The whole point of the 10% rule is to integrate social housing recipients into an area. The last thing you want to do is segregate the social houses in one area and create a 'no-go area' or 'ghetto' in the estate. It completly goes against the idea of the 10% rule.

Why cant we learn from the past. Okay the Ballymun flats were on a larger scale but what Cairn Homes are doing here is the same just on a smaller scale by building two large apartment blocks - one at the entrance and one in the middle of Shakelton Park and housing all the social recipients in them. This is NOT integration - this is segregation and WILL lead to problems in the area.

I urge the residents of Shakelton Park to get on to Cairn Homes, the local councillors and local papers and attend the residents meetings and speak with your neighbours to air your concerns. If we allow this to happen then our lovely estate and the price of ours houses will be affected.

They havent finished building the apartments and the second part of the estate so if residents can take an interest in this issue and do it quickly we can do something about it!!

The apartments beside the entrance to Shakelton Park are to be leased to the county council long term from Cairn Homes. Tbh this probably creates more problems as you then have different people coming and going the whole time and history has shown that they have even less respect for the area or the people around them.

My partner's brother bought a house beside a similar new development in Kildare where most of the apartments were leased, the council moved in two travelling families along with what seem to be down and outs. Within 2 months the place was a kip, a new estate now had a mattress at the entrance and with that went up the for sale signs and the inevitable drop in house prices.

Developers have little of no care for how an area turns out - thats why they are selling all the houses before finishing off the apartments - otherwise they wouldnt be able to demand the high price on these houses.

I agree with Barry - people need to attend the upcoming residents meetings but also email Cairn Homes and the local politicians as its everyone's future at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

conserbia wrote: »
    The apartments beside the entrance to Shakelton Park are to be leased to the county council long term from Cairn Homes. Tbh this probably creates more problems as you then have different people coming and going the whole time and history has shown that they have even less respect for the area or the people around them.

My partner's brother bought a house beside a similar new development in Kildare where most of the apartments were leased, the council moved in two travelling families along with what seem to be down and outs. Within 2 months the place was a kip, a new estate now had a mattress at the entrance and with that went up the for sale signs and the inevitable drop in house prices.

Developers have little of no care for how an area turns out - thats why they are selling all the houses before finishing off the apartments - otherwise they wouldnt be able to demand the high price on these houses.

I agree with Barry - people need to attend the upcoming residents meetings but also email Cairn Homes and the local politicians as its everyone's future at stake

This is incorrect as far as I am aware, they are to be managed by a private housing company. I have heard of some mismanagement by councils in this respect but generally private housing companies have 0 tolerance approaches and there are far less problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paulclancy

Dr Winston O'Boogie - you either work for Cairn Homes or have heard incorrectly.

I know close friends who are stuck with rented social accom beside them - have complained numerous times to the management company as their neighbours are playing music until 3am during the week and causing absolute havoc in the area - and Surprise Surprise they get nowhere with the management company and the neighbours are still there. Its the council who decide who goes into the rented accom and the council hire the management company to deal with the complaints.

To say the management companies have Zero tolerance is completely inaccurate. If Cairn Homes are allowed to create this ghetto and not spread out the social housing properly and have everyone integrated correctly in the area then expect no different to what is happening in other areas around the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It is probably safe to assume that different management companies have different levels of tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Rachel1978 wrote: »
    WOW that is quite a lot of social apartments in such close proximity. I am glad I came on to boards to read up on Shakelton Park as I have been very interested in this estate and am currently in talks re a mortgage - looks like ill have to re think any purchase.

I looked at an overall map of what this side of Lucan will look like when they have built all these houses - there is to be another circa 2,000 houses to be built stretching all the way to Adamstown railway station. Unfortunately, that only means one more thing...more social apartment blocks. What happens when these people get older and the anti social behaviour starts? What happens to the price of houses in the area of the hard working people who paid top price for their home and now cant sell due to the small minority bringing the name down?

Anyway rant over...thank you all for your comments and it just goes to show that you need to find out about everything in the area before living there. Councillors and politicians seem to always focus on how we need to give houses to the poor...they always seem to forget about the middle class and how much we need houses and how unfair it is to drop a social housing apartment in the middle of your estate after you worked so hard to buy your lovely home.

Hi Rachel,

Can you pm me a link of this map please as we are currently in the process of buying a new house in Adamstown?

I heard that there's going to be a mix of social / affordable housing in the space between St. Helen's and Alderlie. I personally would have no issues with social housing as long as tenants are properly vetted.

I sincerely hope that everything goes well for these folks who bought in Shackleton Park and the place won't end up like parts in Castlecurragh (Dublin 15).

Advertisement