Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP Morgan buys £100m office in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Glenster wrote: »
    Why are you arguing about it then?

Calm down.

Because you described Argentina as 3rd world using an outdated definition, even with the lack of agreement there aren't many who would agree that it currently could be considered 3rd world

Im perfectly calm btw but thanks for your concern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

One of my Great friends works for a very large insurance company in London . he told me the are looking at Limerick and opening a large office there over the brexit concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You should try New York City - much worse taxation setup there. That doesn't bother the Head Buck-Cats much, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

One of my Great friends works for a very large insurance company in London . the are looking at Limerick and opening a large office there over the brexit concerns.

What an odd turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Peregrine wrote: »
    A brand new area of the city, far away from historic sites, in the middle of a housing crisis, an entirely blank canvas and not a single plan drawn up yet but DCC has decided that more than half of the site should be restricted to 4-5 stories. DCC will vote on this on Thursday. It'll take several years after that for plans to be drawn up and built.
    This is what happens when you have elected officials that are only accountable to the residents of the inner city.
    They don't care about the people struggling to find a home or stuck in traffic for hours.
    They only care about the existing homeowners and long-term renters who want to keep the "character of the area", it's the "I'm alright Jack" attitude on a large scale.
    Phoebas wrote: »
    We all know about the infrastructure issues.
    They don't get solved by turning away new jobs - they get solved by investing the money we earn from these new jobs.
    Nobody is suggesting turning away new jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

VinLieger wrote: »
    Because you described Argentina as 3rd world using an outdated definition, even with the lack of agreement there aren't many who would agree that it currently could be considered 3rd world

Im perfectly calm btw but thanks for your concern

You don't seem calm.

You asked me to name a third world country, I said Argentina and now you're freaking out because
    nowadays there really is no completely agreed upon definition of "third world"

Its ok. Just let it go.

You don't seem calm.

You asked me to name a third world country, I said Argentina and now you're freaking out because

Its ok. Just let it go.

Actually I didnt I think your confusing me with someone else

Actually I didnt I think your confusing me with someone else

Jesus. I didn't know you were nothing to do with the conversation in the first place.

You really are freaking out.

Let me just end the discussion. Its embarrassing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=definition+of+a+third+world+country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-neverever1. You've trolled enough. Do not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is there a building that can accomodate 500 people in leitrim or sligo? No? okay someone tell JP Morgan we don't want them then.......

Ehh where are these 500 people going to live in Dublin and how will they commute to work.

And yes I know they aint going to be moving to Sligo or Leitrim, but seriously how will Dublin compare to London for the above.
    You laugh at Sligo and Leitrim in comparision to Dublin, but someone could almost as easily laugh at Dublin in comparison to central London, especially when you think of infrastructure.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    ...and the local Hardy Bucks running the length of the main street of a Saturday night whaling seventeen shades of shite out of each other. Beats an evening in the Intercontinental! :pac:

As opposed to the junkies hanging out on the streets between our capitals main thoroughfare and the financial centre of Dublin.
    Not to mention the fact that certain chunks of our nations capital are not exactly inviting after dark.
    You understand more jobs in dublin means more jobs everywhere else?

Where do you think the food to feed dublin comes from as one very obvious example? The more people who live there the more food required from the rest of the country

Ahh FFS not much of a surprise how fooking little you know about Irish agriculture.

If we were relying on the consumption of Dublin residents there would be feck all farms in the country or feck all working in agri business.
    And the population of Dublin would have to 30 plus million to absorb our food exports.
    90% of our beef is exported.
    How many steaks a day do you fancy. :rolleyes:

Increasing financial workers in Dublin will mean more ancillary workers and yes more money into the service industry.
    But those workers will be primarily also based in Dublin.

Whereas I can see that Dublin is the only possible location for most of these companies, I can also see the point of some posters that we need to develop outside Dublin.

Pharma should always be centred around Cork, medical devices around say Galway. Limerick used to have the likes of Dell, AST, Wang, etc but has suffered over last few years.

There has to be decentralisation and development of numerous urban conurbations with their own centralised urban transport infrastructures.

No one realistically expects major financial organisations to move high end operations to the likes of Drunshambo, Sligo, or even Galway, etc, but the Dublin cosmopolitans around here have to cop on that you can't just have Dublin and green fields in the rest of the state just feeding it.

Dublin is an ill thought out planning nightmare much like the rest of the country.
    We plan for yesterday, not 20 years down the road.
    The new hospitals are glaring cases of such.

I am not allowed discuss …

Jesus. I didn't know you were nothing to do with the conversation in the first place.

Do you understand how a thread works?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Nobody is suggesting turning away new jobs.

That's what you'd think, and yet...

Do you understand how a thread works?

I suppose I know now.

I suppose I'd never assumed that someone would butt in on a conversation correcting me for saying something right with wrong information.

But it takes all sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

This is good news. In fact with the right vision we could position ourselves as a European Singapore. Sure you wont get big bucks Hedge Fund managers moving here but more jobs can only be good news.

What's needed now is significant capital spending in infrastructure and housing. Also investment in education to ensure skilled staff are available to any organisations looking to come here.

England's difficulty is Irelands opportunity as the old saying goes. Important we take advantage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well since people derailed topic it brings good conversation given Dublin is prob only recognized city in Ireland, and most corporate or almost any international jobs reside there most are left with potatoes in their hand given infrastructure to commute from anywhere outside is basically nightmare, or live in city and bleed trough the nose from expenses, in other words more likely live to work situation, for most.

Given most places in Ireland are empty and could absorb many corporations, but given lack of any development its like catch 21, you cant blame companies not wanting to move into sticks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

FTA69 wrote: »
    Insightful and cutting stuff mate well done. Lord knows where we'd be without such crucial grammatical insights from absolute legends such as yourself.

It's got nothing to do with grammar. Your grammar is fine. The content of your post however leaves a lot to be desired as in you seem 100% sure that Dublin will benefit from JP Morgan setting up camp there.....except you aren't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Decimate the inner cities, move them out, bring in the wealthy
    If you get SW, you may get a place in Dublin. If you pay your rent, you'll have to get a house in Cavan and commute 2 hours each way every day.
    arctictree wrote: »
    We don't need 100s of new jobs in Dublin. We need them in Leitrim (or Sligo etc)....
    To hell or to Connaught. I'm sure they'll prefer hell :P
    neverever1 wrote: »
    There's another 25 counties in this state being neglected, let's look after them first and then come back to Dublin.
    They weren't in London for the scenery, so putting them into ballygobackwards will only drive them to another European financial hub.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    The only thing we suck at is infrastructure and housing. But this might kick us into gear if more companies start flowing over from the UK.
    We need to start building up rather than out.
    I've never actually met anyone who opposes tall buildings in Dublin? What is it that stops this from happening? Who opposes it?
    Most likely the anti-anything party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cork? Galway? Limerick? This Dublin centric thinking is bad news for the rest of the state and also for many living in Dublin.

Northern Trust still have the lockdown on Limerick I believe. For another while yet anyway, so there'll be no competitors there.

Not sure if BNY in Cork have a similar deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

people who think dubs are snobby will love coming face to face with high flying jp morgan bankers from the city, that's for sure. Breath of fresh air in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I suppose I know now.

I suppose I'd never assumed that someone would butt in on a conversation correcting me for saying something right with wrong information.

But it takes all sorts.

To be fair - since your definition of third world includes countries non-aligned in the cold war then it includes Ireland. I suppose you are right that we do get our food from third world countries, like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭josip

To be fair - since your definition of third world includes countries non-aligned in the cold war then it includes Ireland. I suppose you are right that we do get our food from third world countries, like Ireland.

For clarification, Ireland is not a member of the Non-Aligned Movement although I don't think that's what you meant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

people who think dubs are snobby will love coming face to face with high flying jp morgan bankers from the city, that's for sure. Breath of fresh air in comparison!

These arent high flying bankers

Just your regular dublin finance heads.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Northern Trust still have the lockdown on Limerick I believe. For another while yet anyway, so there'll be no competitors there.

Not sure if BNY in Cork have a similar deal.

Nt are the only funds place in limerick. They are cleaning up with staff coming from UL on a starting salary of 23k
    They can afford to take on inexperienced staff on low money.
    They are one of the top fund administration places along with statestreet and bny mellon.

But for your smaller fund companies, they need more experienced staff to give a better service to work their way up and get in clients.
    All those staff are in dublin.
    Limerick staff get poached and come up to dublin eventually.

There isnt too many smaller operations in cork. I know of only bny and a second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nt are the only funds place in limerick. They are cleaning up with staff coming from UL on a starting salary of 23k
    They can afford to take on inexperienced staff on low money.
    They are one of the top fund administration places along with statestreet and bny mellon.

But for your smaller fund companies, they need more experienced staff to give a better service to work their way up and get in clients.
    All those staff are in dublin.
    Limerick staff get poached and come up to dublin eventually.

There isnt too many smaller operations in cork. I know of only bny and a second place.

Yeh I work in the Limerick office.

Exactly, any company starting off (that isn't your JPM/GSAM/Schroders etc need to be starting in Dublin

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yeh I work in the Limerick office.

Exactly, any company starting off (that isn't your JPM/GSAM/Schroders etc need to be starting in Dublin

I worked there a few years ago as well. Nice place. Really good for limerick to get them on the map, no doubt nt are not giving a discount on any admin fees.
    There problem now is getting experienced staff to move back from dublin.

People are mad if they think any funds jobs will leave dublin. Business fall over each other for buildings and addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Demforeigners

I work in the industry. It's a catch 22 as while my wage might go up so will my rent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

People want to build up Dublin to attract these companies at the expense of the rest of the state. Look at London, the rest of England are just fed their crumbs, we're nearly like that in this state!

First Data is a financial technology company (whatever that means!?) and are creating 300 jobs in Nenagh

Colossal news for the town

Just one example there, that grudge you have against Dublin is eating you up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tony Blair might be able to get a job there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've never actually met anyone who opposes tall buildings in Dublin? What is it that stops this from happening? Who opposes it?

There are plenty. Mostly the types likely to form resident's associations and that sort of bollocks. An Taisce opposes to everything over two storeys.

Thing is, these are the only people who are at the planners' ears every week. They're organised and they're heard. Nobody pays €20 to make a submission that says "Yes, I like this building". Nobody e-mails councillors asking for higher density when Special Development Zones and Local Area Plans are voted on. They're voting on the Poolbeg/Glass Bottle Site SDZ on Thursday and you can bet that the only ones who did e-mail councillors are the ones asking for shorter and 'less oppressive' buildings.

Advertisement