Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

durkadurka wrote: »

Oh man, that's horrible to read....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That’s horrendous. So young too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That is just horrible. A parent's worst nightmare. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Terrible news, especially at this time of year. Thoughts and prays to all her family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Terrible news for him and his family.

Any parent will tell you that there is nothing worse in the world that could happen to them than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    Terrible news for him and his family.

Any parent will tell you that there is nothing worse in the world that could happen to them than this.

My heart goes out to him and his family. We parents think it is our job to keep our children safe and well. Sadly there are times when we cannot. I can't imagine how awful such a tragedy must feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thoughts with the Nucifora family today, shocking news of a terrible loss. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

33 more sleeps til the real xmas (6n).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So, we're halfway through the auditions for the Six Nations and only three more games for people to stake a claim...

For the starting XV, I think 1-10 pick themselves, Ringrose hasn't hit the ground running since coming back from injury so a Henshaw-Aki midfield looks very likely. You'd assume Earls and Stockdale will get the wing jerseys so no real controversies.

The bench could be more interesting:
    Jack McGrath is not himself and Kilcoyne is playing really well.
    Niall Scannell is a shoo-in given Cronin's situation, but Cronin is playing great stuff so he might force a rethink.
    John Ryan seems to be firmly second choice at Munster, but I don't see Joe picking Archer and Porter is still a work in progress.
    Dillane was great yesterday so might benefit from Ryan's injury.
    VDF vs Leavy for the 20 jersey is a Sophie's Choice.
    Marmion still in pole for 21 but McGrath is close and Cooney is in the mix now too.
    Carbery nailed on for 22 if he's fit, Ross Byrne quietly making a case for the wider squad
    I guess Conway is still the favourite for 23. Sweetnam has been quiet and Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney have vanished off the face of the earth.

I hope we can keep the injuries under wraps coming into the Six Nations FF because as you've pointed out - we've a lot of quality there and a wide enough squad operating at a high enough level that we should be ferociously competitive in every round.

I think Jack McGrath has turned a corner and expect him to be in the mix. I'd hope given his slower start that the rest of the season goes well for him. I was really impressed with Dillane against Leinster and he seems to be back to top form which should see him in the mix and I also thought Bealham has been good when I've watched him this season so perhaps he might be back into it.

Still though, starting tight 5 is Healy, Best, Furlong, Toner, Henderson without a doubt and that's as good as any other tight 5 in the tournament and better than most.

Back row is going to be so hard to call. I completely jinxed Leavy yesterday by saying he is playing so well he can't be ignored for Ireland as he got injured 5 minutes later. He's reached a new level to be honest and could well push for honours.

I'd imagine we'll see 6 POM 7 Seanie 8 Stander but reputations and credit are probably keeping that trio in situ as opposed to recent performances. Ruddock will likely miss the start of the tournament but could be close enough from what I've heard.

9 and 10 pick themselves. If I was picking backups now I'd really struggle at 9 but Marmion is the most experienced replacement so I'd stick with him. Backup 10 would be Ross Byrne for me in a heart beat. He's the most consistent kicker and is managing games really well. He took control against Exeter and ran the show against Munster. Two big occasions and he ace'd it for me. No other options are close as far as I'm concerned so it comes down to Carbery's fitness.

Midfield is a toss up between Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose and McCloskey. I'd only say Henshaw is nailed on and the rest will be picked dependent on fitness and opposition. Ringrose certainly has been slow to get going this season so no reason to presume he'll be straight back in.

Back three of Rob Kearney, Earls and Stockdale has a good balance of defence, positioning and attack. Plenty of lads putting their hands up but those three the obvious choices at this stage, with any of Sweetnam, Conway, Larmour, Kearney Jnr, Ferg, Gilroy, Byrne, Daly, Wooton, and Tiernan as potential alternates. Back 3 cover also a tough one to call, Conway the most versatile but could be anyone.

It's probably as strong as we've ever been going into the tournament to be honest. France could be very messy as Joe will struggle to prep against a team in transition which I think is something he struggles with. That said we'll have our own game plan to follow and I'd be hopful we start the tournament off with a physical game but an absolute rout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Hopefully Leavy only has a 2 weeker and is back for Montpellier and shows his stuff in time for the 6 nations.

Leavy and VDF in the last 2 weeks showed 2 of the finest backrow performances in recent memory for me.

Having said that POM and SOB both step up for the big games and really are undroppable.

Stander, despite underwhelming me this season so far is still probably the best option at 8 that we have. Certainly is ahead of Conan and SOB to 8 isn't really an option for Ireland.

One of the great injustices of late that only one of Leavy or Josh will make the Ireland bench

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I hope there's a change in the backrow, but I don't expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think unless there's an injury we'll probably see the old stable 3 of POM/SOB/Stander with Leavy or VdF on the bench.

Think Ruddock will be unfortunate to miss out due to injury, if he's fit in time he won't have any gametime under his belt.

8 backrows included last year's squad. So: POM, SOB, Stander, Leavy, VdF, Conan and then who picks up the other two spots?

TOD and Murphy would be two players with experience in the squads, then you also have newcomers like Deegan/Oliver/Timoney who could potentially put their hand up for inclusion over the next couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I may be misremembering, but I got the impression that last year there were horses for courses selections coming into play at times in some positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think unless there's an injury we'll probably see the old stable 3 of POM/SOB/Stander with Leavy or VdF on the bench.

Think Ruddock will be unfortunate to miss out due to injury, if he's fit in time he won't have any gametime under his belt.

8 backrows included last year's squad. So: POM, SOB, Stander, Leavy, VdF, Conan and then who picks up the other two spots?

TOD and Murphy would be two players with experience in the squads, then you also have newcomers like Deegan/Oliver/Butler/Timoney who could potentially put their hand up for inclusion over the next couple of games.

By Butler did you mean Jarrad Butler? He's a project player, needs to see out his contract another 2 seasons after this to become Irish qualified.
    He is a quality signing by Connacht though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

You'd have to think that If bundee does start with one of henshaw or ringrose that the other would be in the 23 jersey given henshaws ability to cover fullback and ringrose previous experience of the wing, where as if bundee doesn't start I doubt he makes the 23

• Advertisement

By Butler did you mean Jarrad Butler? He's a project player, needs to see out his contract another 2 seasons after this to become Irish qualified.
    He is a quality signing by Connacht though!

Stand corrected but yeah he's a decent player

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

TOD and Murphy would be two players with experience in the squads, then you also have newcomers like Deegan/Oliver/Timoney who could potentially put their hand up for inclusion over the next couple of games.

I've seen Oliver far more than the others, and think he's a very good prospect but I don't think he's anywhere near Ireland squad selection, no matter how well he plays over the next couple of games. That's IF he even plays, which I'd be surprised if he did. Certainly if he started.

aloooof wrote: »
    I've seen Oliver far more than the others, and think he's a very good prospect but I don't think he's anywhere near Ireland squad selection, no matter how well he plays over the next couple of games. That's IF he even plays, which I'd be surprised if he did. Certainly if he started.

It's the same with the rest of the options there in that bracket, more just throwing out thoughts than anything. They're all prospects but just going by sheer numbers alone could potentially be in the wider squad.

Conor Oliver is only just back in training with Munster after a shoulder injury, I couldn't see him cementing a Munster spot in the next 2 months let alone a call up to Ireland camp.

Heard that England called up a couple of very young players as "apprentice" internationals recently, unless Ireland go down that route I can't see any player getting a call up unless they are genuinely deserving of a shot to break into the Irish squad in the near future.

Max Deegan (Leinster), Jack O'Donoghue (Munster), and possibly Matty Rea (Ulster) would be worth calling into the first week of camp before releasing back to the clubs and narrowing down the squad.
    All three have potential to become quality back rows in the coming few seasons, but perhaps the World cup may come too soon for any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I may be misremembering, but I got the impression that last year there were horses for courses selections coming into play at times in some positions.

IIRC the only changes that weren't injury related were in the second row, Dev got dropped for the England game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What age is Jared Butler? With the greatest of respect to him why were Australia not including him? They don't really have the depth NZ or SA have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What age is Jared Butler? With the greatest of respect to him why were Australia not including him? They don't really have the depth NZ or SA have

There was talk cheicka was very interested in him, and he possibly made wider training camps but injuries and hooper and pocock at 7 prevented a need. He's 26 now and I really don't ever see him being capped by Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Totally forgot about Pocock. Not the easiest two to compete with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bridge93 wrote: »

Pocock and Hooper, Timani and McMahon all quality players in OZ back row. He will be just 29 when eligible. He won't be a starter but may get a few caps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement