Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to fill a diswasher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cutlery pointing up is fine, you just don't put the sharp knives in the cutlery basket anyway.

One thing a lot of people don't realise is that the dishwasher tablets/detergents are designed to activate when they coming into contact with food waste. So rinsing your plates within an inch of their lives is counter-productive and the dishwasher won't work properly.

Scrape off the heavy stuff and put the plates in without rinsing, you get a much better clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cutlery goes in the top drawer, glasses/cups in the middle drawer, pots/pans/plates in the bottom drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

jester77 wrote: »
    Cutlery goes in the top drawer, glasses/cups in the middle drawer, pots/pans/plates in the bottom drawer

Ooooh, look at fancy pants with the three drawer dishwasher - what about us plebs that have a top basket and a bottom basket and a plastic box for the cutlery?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What is the point of having a dishwasher if you have to wash/rinse them before hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ooooh, look at fancy pants with the three drawer dishwasher - what about us plebs that have a top basket and a bottom basket and a plastic box for the cutlery?

I suppose you could put the cutlery in the basket and take it into the shower with you in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I'm the dishwasher packer in my family and I'm a definite cutlery down type of person. I sense a poll could be interesting here, what do you say OP?

Cutlery down makes retrieval trivial. You don't have to carefully reach down to retrieve the items one by one. Thereby saving precious time and It's also convenient because you can grab a handful without spilling blood.

--

Obligatory link to TheOatMeal.

header.png

Click for the rest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Your science, it from the Church of Scientology?

I'm a bit of a nerd and read the dishwasher manual. The Church of Bosch.
    The blood when you impale yourself on them kinda messes up the shiny finish though.

How in the name of dishwasher jesus do you empty your cutlery basket!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

murpho999 wrote: »
    What is the point of having a dishwasher if you have to wash/rinse them before hand?

You are not supposed to fully wash before putting into the dishwasher. The bits of stuff that come off your plates and bowls actually help clean the bits of food that are more stubborn and stuck to your plates/bowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

murpho999 wrote: »

What's the point of wiping your arse if you're going to have a shower?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You are not supposed to fully wash before putting into the dishwasher. The bits of stuff that come off your plates and bowls actually help clean the bits of food that are more stubborn and stuck to your plates/bowls.

I knew an oulboy that threw a few big pebbles into one thinking it worked like a cement mixer :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My oh mixes up all the cutlery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stheno wrote: »

You cant allow that.

You're not training them right.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Your science, it from the Church of Scientology?

I'm a bit of a nerd and read the dishwasher manual. The Church of Bosch.
    The blood when you impale yourself on them kinda messes up the shiny finish though.

How in the name of dishwasher jesus do you empty your cutlery basket!

Turn it upside down and it all falls out. Gravity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think he's untrainable :(

I think he's untrainable :(

I find a punishment/reward based technique works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Spooning is nice, but not in a dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Cutlery points up, ie the part which needs to be cleaned is exposed to the water. Not buried down in the bottom of the basket.

A good steak knife shouldn't be in the dishwasher, nor should anything else with a wooden handle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It doesn't matter how you've filled it, you've done it wrong and you've upset whatever little trace of OCD I possess. Now please step away from the dishwasher so I can do it properly.

There is also dishwasher Tetris, where it's vitally important to fit every single item that needs to be washed into the dishwasher. I get annoyed if I fail.

• Advertisement

riemann wrote: »

A good steak knife shouldn't be in the dishwasher, nor should anything else with a wooden handle.

And now I discover I've crappy steak knives:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Overloading a dishwasher is probably the worst thing someone can do. A huge load of half washed plates is no good to anyone.

And woe betide the man, woman, or child who slams the bottom tray and knocks it off the rollers. GRRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Dump all dishes into the toilet with a splash of liquid. Flush twice for best results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Am I the only weirdo who washes things before putting them into the dishwasher? Can't bear putting things with bits of food into the dishwasher. Gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cutlery points up, ie the part which needs to be cleaned is exposed to the water. Not buried down in the bottom of the basket.

Burried down in the basket, how big is your basket, and is it waterproof? The water sprays in from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I should have a gold medal for dishwasher stacking. My boyfriend does it and does a shambolic job, crams it all in and nothing gets cleaned properly. I end up having to take the majority of it out and start again- and I still have room left over. There's certain pots i want in certain places and he just throws in the cutlery instead of putting it in upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I always point the cutlery down and they come out spotless. I clean them before hand anyway. Nearly sliced the hand off myself before reaching in to move something when a knife was facing upwards

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And now I discover I've crappy steak knives:(

Good steak knives don't have to have wooden handles. The ones we have are excellent quality, each made from a single piece of steel.
    Am I the only weirdo who washes things before putting them into the dishwasher? Can't bear putting things with bits of food into the dishwasher. Gross

For the enzymes in the detergent to work properly there needs to be food scraps on the dishes. By washing them off you're actually wasting you time putting detergent in the dishwasher at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some people live alone or in twos and would only need to put the d/w on maybe twice a week (if you wash the flipping pots and pans separately!).

I'm in that category so just rinse off the dishes before putting them in, not to clean standard just to get the major gunge off.

Cutlery MUST all be in the same compartment together and facing upwards. Memo.... you take the cutlery yoke out by the handle and refill the cutlery drawer from there.

I love the way glasses come out of the d/w so sparkling. Although over time they do get d/w grit and cloud on them GRRRRR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Zaph wrote: »
    Good steak knives don't have to have wooden handles. The ones we have are excellent quality, each made from a single piece of steel.

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Advertisement