Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to fill a diswasher

Options
  • 15-05-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭

You often see people complain that's done wrong.

What do you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

In my experience, the only correct way to fill the dishwasher is:

1) Dump all the dishes in the sink

2) Wait until wife fills it, as she will tell me it's wrong no matter what way I do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Just take some cups and plates in with you when you're having a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Cutlery in separate compartments in that wee rack thing (large spoons, small spoons, forks, knives, sharper knives, etc. Easier to put back in the drawer). Small plates together, larger plates together. Cups and glasses up top.

That's how you definitely fill a dishwasher... definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Large pots go in last.

Cutlery pointing up.

Can't go wrong after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I feed her a good meal.

About to find out if I can be banned from my own forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What about pots and pans? Should they be washed in the sink, or put in the dishwasher? They can take up valuable space. Should something go underneath them?

Should cereal bowls go in the top or the bottom? On the rack with the taller dividers, or shorter ones?

Best place for large knives / spatulas / serving spoons etc?

So many variables.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Barbie! wrote: »
    I feed her a good meal.

About to find out if I can be banned from my own forum

You can :pac:

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Large pots go in last.

Cutlery pointing up.

I take it you've never reached into the dishwasher and had the point of a steak knife slide up under your fingernail? I have. Cutlery points down.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well the missus usually washes the dishes, which gives the question an entirely different context.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's far from dishwashers I was reared.

But I wash everything in it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Gravelly wrote: »
    I take it you've never reached into the dishwasher and had the point of a steak knife slide up under your fingernail? I have. Cutlery points down.

Think you should be more careful. ;)

What about pots and pans? Should they be washed in the sink, or put in the dishwasher? They can take up valuable space. Should something go underneath them?

Pre-rinse if needed and placed in last wherever there's space (top or bottom rack).
    Should cereal bowls go in the top or the bottom? On the rack with the taller dividers, or shorter ones?

Depends on the shape of the bowl. Deep bowls should be handled the same as cups. Placed upside down on the top or bottom rack.
    Best place for large knives / spatulas / serving spoons etc

Along that "shelf" in the top rack.
    So many variables.

Yes, there are!

Think you should be more careful. ;)

I am now. Cutlery still points down. Nobody in my house is in any doubt whatsoever of the extremely high degree of importance I attach to having the cutlery pointing down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I fill her twice a week, 3 times if the 'pool win.

This bidnizz of putting pots and pans in the diswasher is giving me an anxiety. No. No. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cutlery pointing up.

Apart from the cutlery pointing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I fill her twice a week, 3 times if the 'pool win.

And how about the dishwasher?

I'm a "cutlery up" person.

Then again I don't reach in to the machine blindly.

(oooOOOoooooh!)

Cutlery down so you don't impale yourself on a fork tine or knife point when you empty the cutlery rack.

Why does this need to be said? :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Candie wrote: »
    This bidnizz of putting pots and pans in the diswasher is giving me an anxiety. No. No. No.
    Cutlery down so you don't impale yourself on a fork tine or knife point when you empty the cutlery rack.

Why does this need to be said? :(

I think people should post pictures of their badly filled dishwashers to see if we can make Candie explode.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »

(oooOOOoooooh!)

I don't drive my car blindfolded either, but I still wear a seatbelt.....

me_irl wrote: »

(oooOOOoooooh!)

But you're bound to touch the eating end with your hands as you remove it. If you're having guests over for dinner you might as well shove your fingers in their mouths as they enter your house.

But more importantly, have you never watched the Bourne films?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Better the taste of Bolognese off​ your coffee than the taste of Brasso off your Weetabix, that's what my granny always used to say

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cutlery points up and you mix the type of cutlery in each section.

Here's the science: When the dishwasher is doing it's spraying and cleaning, as the cutlery is pointing up, they have some movement and the different shapes of the knives/forks/spoons rub off each other, this friction helps in the cleaing process.
    If they are pointing down, there is less chance of them being cleaned properly as less chance of movement.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I think people should post pictures of their badly filled dishwashers to see if we can make Candie explode.

I have to unsubscribe, I can't cope with some of the things being said with no regard for the feelings of the readers here.

Savages. :(

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But you're bound to touch the eating end with your hands as you remove it. If you're having guests over for dinner you might as well shove your fingers in their mouths as they enter your house.

But more importantly, have you never watched the Bourne films?

I lift it using the handle... thingy. The one on the "cutlery basket" (I'm sure there's a better term for that!)

But then again, I pay attention to what I'm doing and have never cut myself (and now I've just set myself up for a massive bite in the ar*e from karma).

But yeah, I use the handles when taking them out.

I have clean hands when taking items out of the dishwasher!

Wash them three times.... definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

what's a dishwasher;)

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Here's the science: When the dishwasher is doing it's spraying and cleaning, as the cutlery is pointing up, they have some movement and the different shapes of the knives/forks/spoons rub off each other, this friction helps in the cleaing process.
    If they are pointing down, there is less chance of them being cleaned properly as less chance of movement.

Your science, it from the Church of Scientology?

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

The blood when you impale yourself on them kinda messes up the shiny finish though.

Advertisement