Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nutria in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yea they've been down around cork a long time now. Numbers are very small i believe and there's an ongoimg projectopic o eradicate them.

Read somewhere we used to have muskrat here too. Years ago. Had to get a trapper from the UK to eradicate them. Caught over 600 in one small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

These are found in France as well, but in the 13 years I holiday'd there I never once seen one alive or dead.
    Wonder what they taste like:D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I always knew that if Ireland was overrun with giant rats, they'd come from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Well Sika deer were introduced into the irish countryside by escapee's from Lord Powerscourts private menagerie near Enniskerry, so this sort of thing has happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Gravelly wrote: »
    I always knew that if Ireland was overrun with giant rats, they'd come from Cork.

Easy now not everyone from cork is a rat Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gunny123 wrote: »
    Well Sika deer were introduced into the irish countryside by escapee's from Lord Powerscourts private menagerie near Enniskerry, so this sort of thing has happened before.

You won't see a sika digging burrows to collapse river banks and flood areas. Read up on the nutria and the damage they do. Hurricane Katrina hit the US and the floods were a result of banks bursting so heavily and trees collapsing put down to overrun areas of nutria rats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

You won't see a sika digging burrows to collapse river banks and flood areas.

I never suggested they would. My point is, introduced species can often out breed and force out native species, sika deer and the American grey squirrel to name two animals. Giant hogweed in the plant world and crayfish in the marine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I never suggested they would. My point is, introduced species can often out breed and force out native species, sika deer and the American grey squirrel to name two animals. Giant hogweed in the plant world and crayfish in the marine.

Don't forget to mention the American Mink.

There's no invasive crayfish species in Ireland. Only our native one which are a protected species.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Has anyone seen one or even spoken to someone that has?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Never saw crayfish, but lakes round me are simply carpeted with Zebra Mussels and their old shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Never saw crayfish, but lakes round me are simply carpeted with Zebra Mussels and their old shells.

Are zebra mussels edible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

AnthonyCny wrote: »

No idea, but if you go fishing with a sinking lure, they are easy caught ......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

AnthonyCny wrote: »

If you don't mind breaking into micro shells that are sharp and are tricker to open than a safe for about a half peanut worth of gunk..Then yea...Best leave them to the ducks and wild fowl.

Now,crayfish OTOH and anyone who has eaten in New Orleans will know how tasty" crawdads" can be.:)
    Now I wonder are these nutria critters anyway tasty? :D

Quick Google.
    We have a new game species folks!:D
    They are indeed edible and apprently taste like dark turkey meat.Seeing that they aren't garbage eaters like the common rat and are plant eaters you wont have to worry too much about the more disgusting contents of the average sewer rat when handling them. So to sort this problem out,we just eat the invader.
    http://www.wideopenspaces.com/kids-nutria-rats-dinner/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Now,crayfish OTOH and anyone who has eaten in New Orleans will know how tasty" crawdads" can be.:)
    Never tasted them, but from TV programs where you see a huge pot of them being cooked they look tasty as feck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

They're same as crawfish in America. Taste like a river tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

They're same as crawfish in America. Taste like a river tbh.

Agreed. You can improve the taste by flushing them with fresh clean water for a few days prior to cooking (similar to carp) but even then they still don't taste great.

Awwwwww....................

Could you not have left me thinking they were great?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They are,if you have ever eaten "gumbo" or a "boil" as they call it down "Orlean"
    Somewhat like lobster.However I'd say we'd be awhile getting 20 to 30 lbs of Irish crayfish together to try this.:P

http://honestcooking.com/cook-crawfish/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Awwwwww....................

Could you not have left me thinking they were great?

Crayfish are very nice to eat. I had them years ago, but you'd have to go to the UK if ya wanna try them now. Those signal crayfish are nice and big, compared to what we have. Saying that, doesn't Aldi or Tesco do them from time to time. Can't remember which. Just the tails cooked, ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Lidl do them, in brine if I remember rightly, very tasty.
    We used to collect them from rocky lake shores while we were fishing, if you where lucky you'd get a coffee cup full of tails for an open soda bread sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Wouldn't like to meet one of them on the river at dusk on a summers night.

Just a thought, has anyone contacted the NPWS about them. I presume it's shoot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Just a thought, has anyone contacted the NPWS about them. I presume it's shoot on sight.

Was just about to ask the same thing !!

Wouldn't you think the NPWS would ask the NARGC to ask members to help sort the situation, especially as they seem to be unable to sort it themselves.

They haven't the man power or money. So as you said why not turn to the everyday shooters (the ones they are currently trying to shaft with night time bans and compulsory deer training courses) to do the ground work.

At the very least release a statement about them.

No point in guessing. Just lashed off an e-mail to the NPWS to find out. Will post here when i get a reply.

• Advertisement

Quick response from the NPWS. I got a full reply with details on reporting sightings, etc. Here is the key part:
    In relation to your specific queries, individuals are permitted to shoot coypu and a licence is not required to do so.

With regard to sightings:
    Ireland is obliged to report any sightings to the Commission and undertake effective eradication measures to remove any animals from the wild. Please report any sightings of this invasive species to the National Biodiversity Data Centre - http://records.biodiversityireland.ie/record/invasives

Advertisement