Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you spend your communion money on?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I got £60. I remember swaggering around the next day, flashing the cash around like I'd just won the lotto - bought my mother a Choc Ice on the way home from mass. This was pre-Magnum, when the humble Choc Ice was considered second only to Cornetto in terms of ice cream extravagance.

Put the rest of it towards a Yamaha PSR-22 keyboard a few weeks later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Had my Communion in 1982. All the money went into my EBS savings account. Had built up quite a bit by the time I was 17 and then blew it all on boozing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I heartened to know I wasn't the only child whose parents re-appropriated their communion gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A Winnie the Pooh book and tape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Made mine in the late 70's. Have no idea 'how much I made' on it and can't remember buying anything special so chances are I didn't get a whole lot. Maybe that's why I detest everything to do with the Catholic Church and think things like holy communion and that other farce, Confirmation are nothing more than commercial parades which highlight the have's from the have nots.

A neighbours child made their first communion last weekend and 'made' €1200 in gifts. It's not the child's fault but her stupid extended family who think an 8 year old child should be given €100 gift for doing fcuk all but dress up in a white dress.

My daughter is making hers next year and if it were up to me she wouldn't be taking any part in such a ridiculous event.

If she's your responsibility then why is it not "up to" you?
    If she were heading into town on the bus on her own for a night on the tiles would you say " it's not up to me"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I can't remember what I got or what I spent it on..I think I got to go to a toy shop to buy a my little pony or some crap like that and the rest went for money for my holidays, I assume. Meh. Well worth selling my soul to the Catholic church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

amtc wrote: »
    I got £27 in 1980. I bought a blue bike and was mercilessly teased as it was thought to be a boy's bike. I remember getting a note from a neighbour rather than coins as I was standing in front of the Tv as an incentive to move.

Rather startlingly these memories are more real than going to the zoo on the day where my granny bought me an ice cream. I do remember vividly she ate the end of the cone and it dropped over my new shoes. I cried and she went home. She died later that night of a heart attack. My grandfather died the day of my confirmation. So I can recall little about the events only the time after! No wonder I haven't got married! Religious events don't end well for me!

My grandfather died on my Confirmation day too!
    My little brother had an emergency appendectomy on my communion day.
    Oh and my dress was too small and pinched me under the arms, it was s boiling hot London day, and I couldn't wait to get the bloody thing off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Made mine in 03, got 1200, saved it all really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Bought smurfit shares with mine, done very nicely out of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I bought a gun , looked the part swaggering around with an M16 and suit on me.

On a lighter note a halfwit, I work with forgot to bring one of her sprogs to first confession last month and the local priest has just informed her her kid is making no communion in his church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Made my communion in 1994 (I think) and I can't remember what I made. It was put into my post office savings account and never seen again, pretty much like almost all money I received as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

1980 for me. £20 was the haul. And I only remember it because it all came from one Uncle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Made mine in 2000 got about £400 bought some lego, an Ireland and Arsenal jersey and spent the rest on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭josip

Made it in 1979 and got around £50.
    Bought Post Office Savings Certs with it at the time.
    Added more certs with confirmation money and birthday money down through the years.
    Cashed them all in to buy my wife's engagement ring.
    Whenever I see the ring sparkle, it reminds me of all the nice people who gave me something as I grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I made mine in 2001 and I made around £400 and I bought a Gameboy and a few little bits and put about £100 in the Credit Union!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Whenever I was given money as a child my mother would march me into the post office to deposit it. Whether this was the odd 'green leaf' (a pound) as my Dad used to call them, that was randomly given to me by an uncle or a Neighbor, or what I received for communion and confirmation. We didn't have much to say the least and I suppose my mum was trying to teach me good saving habits. But...

When I was 16 my parents decided to raid my post office account because they were hard up. And they never gave it back to me and when I protested their response was they they 'bought' things for me ( like clothes ), and thus we were equal.

Not surprisingly I never developed good saving habits.

In any case the amount of money I received from Holy Communion and Confirmation was nothing to get excited about. I remember lying to my classmates where they were bragging that they got 100's when I got something like 8 pounds in total. I was embarrassed that I got so little which is why I lied. Not that I ever got to spend it anyway.

Bought a Sega Megadrive II with mine in 1996. £130 and it came with a Toy Story game. There was a Manchester United shop in Limerick back then so the change went towards random Peter Schmeichel stuff for some reason. 22 years later and I have yet to sit through a full football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Sony Walkman and Bad MJ tape

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

"The Nincompoops Guide to Horse-Whispering: Nothing You Ever Wanted To Know And Then Some", signed by the entire cast of Glenroe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sweets, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I made mine in the 80s but can't remember what I got or spent it on.
    I do remember Confirmation though for some reason.
    It was my first time discovering the great boutique that is Dunnes Stores.
    I bought a willow pattern pair of tight leggings, a knee length frilled pleated skirt with a flower pattern and a polo shirt with multiple pastel colours on it..
    I though I was the height of fashion.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

A brand new bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Bought a sheep :D

Presumably the rest went on the slot machines in tram ore. ..if it didn't make it to the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1979 and I think it was £68. It all went into the bank. 90% of confirmation money was added, as was some of the money I earned in college. At age 29, it got spent on my ex-flatmates rent, the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I didn't receive any money.

I received the transubstantiated body of Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

It went in an AIB account- never to be seen by me again!

Bank Strike during my confirmation meant I spent all my confirmation money - a lot on chocolate and sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

"Bad" cassette for my Walkman is one thing I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

My Communion money went straight to my parents, I think they used it for my piano lessons or something boring and sensible like that.

My best friend made hers the following year, she got £100 exactly. She spent £30 on a bike, and £20 on a trip to Water World for both of us. Then, the remaining £50 we spent on lucky bags, which were 50c at the time. We traipsed down to the shop every single day, for 50 days following the Communion, to get two of them - one for each of us.

In hindsight it was actually really generous of her - and sound of her parents, who wouldn't have been well off, to let her spend it exactly as she wanted!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I know this is AF and needs to be light hearted. But you would think most parents would instill better money management skills with their children at a young age. Learning to save at 7/8 as it is easier to build a habit then. Rather than trying to figure out how to save at 35 when you have never saved in your life.

There is some amount of people who never learn to save. A lot appear to pick those bad habits off their children.

Advertisement