Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you spend your communion money on?

Options
  • 14-05-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Well it's that time of year again when communion money and "going rates" are a hot topic once more!

I made my communion in the nineties and made about 150 pounds or so but.... I never got to spend it!

My parents bought me something out of it alright I'd say but they kept the rest to cover the cost of the day er... I mean... "keep it safe".

I never got over it, I wanted to buy a pony.

So what did you spend your communion money on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Women and beer, and I wasted the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Cigarettes and sports cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Made about £100 (1986). Saved another 50 and bought a brand new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Made it in the late 80s. Bought myself a set of swings for the back garden. Cost 30 pounds. Oh the innocence.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Parent's "minded" it for me back in 1986. Should be getting it back any day now I'm sure...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Communion in mid nineties. 104 pound, Father spent it on cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

A Gi Joe hovercraft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Made it in 1970... My mother put it up safe for me. I'm still waiting and it's not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Marbles and A -Team cards...handed over a vast sum to some 12 year old who couldn't believe his luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I got some leggo, it was a medieval set, horse + royal carriage I think. The rest went into the post office book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Made £60 and put it away carefully in my lovely white bag. Never saw it again as my Ma took it to "keep safe".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I got 50 quid on my communion. I bought a sack of marbles, playing cards and Trolls. I think I had enough left for a gamegear game. Ecco the Dolphin I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I got £5, a waterstones voucher, and some rosary beads for my communion. Can't remember what I bought with my riches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Cant remember but it was probably Made in Hong Kong and bought in Alfie Brees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My mother took it and "put it in the Credit Union for me". Prob spent it on fags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Got 5 punts which my mother minded for me after giving me 1. The bwitch did the same with my confirmation money.

I'm relieved to see my case wasn't exceptional...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Still have it ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

How do you people remember this?
    Like most things past last week, I have no recollection of the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I 'made' £33 in 1980. I got a Timex watch, and I reckon my mother kept the rest. I was at my niece's Communion yesterday. For her, it was all about the attention and money. Poor auld Jesus was 5th or 6th down the list...

Or 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Went to Dublin Zoo, they had the dinosaur exhibit on.

Bought games for sega gamer gear.

Put rest in post office account. Havent seen it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

My mother robbed most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bought a swing set for the back garden, still remember it, it was green and orange and had a trapeze swing and gymnast rings on it.

My daughter made hers last week. She's put some money away for a trampoline once the back garden gets sorted. Has spent some and still has some left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

As for events, we went to McDonald's for the first time! On O'Connell Street. I bawled because the fish from my fish'n'chips was slathered in a white sauce. It was probably tartar sauce, but at the time, I assumed it was mayonnaise. The trek from Kildare was ruined...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

A spud gun and a catapult.

The rest I stashed in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Neames wrote: »
    A spud gun and a catapult.

The rest I stashed in the post office.

My folks confiscated it and put it in the post office for me. I was saving for a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Made mine in the late 70's. Have no idea 'how much I made' on it and can't remember buying anything special so chances are I didn't get a whole lot. Maybe that's why I detest everything to do with the Catholic Church and think things like holy communion and that other farce, Confirmation are nothing more than commercial parades which highlight the have's from the have nots.

A neighbours child made their first communion last weekend and 'made' €1200 in gifts. It's not the child's fault but her stupid extended family who think an 8 year old child should be given €100 gift for doing fcuk all but dress up in a white dress.

My daughter is making hers next year and if it were up to me she wouldn't be taking any part in such a ridiculous event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Maybe the Irish are so obsessed with trying to compete to outdo each other that even when a child is making their Communion or Confirmation, you'll have the relatives and friends of the family all trying to give more than everyone else to show how 'generous' they are...

An incredibly cynical take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

It went straight to the Post Office hedge fund, then slowly trickled away on football stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can't remember. Not sure I even got any money. Made my communion in England.

Some of the powers of recall on these kind of threads is uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Maybe the Irish are so obsessed with trying to compete to outdo each other that even when a child is making their Communion or Confirmation, you'll have the relatives and friends of the family all trying to give more than everyone else to show how 'generous' they are...

Gave my nephew a few quid when he made his.

I had no idea I was bribing him or competing with other relatives.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement