Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you spend your communion money on?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I received £120 in the late 80s. I don't remember getting anything from it but I probably got some small toy. I'm sure the rest went on bills.

There was no question of bribery back then in my experience, as most kids didn't get to keep the money and most were very earnest in their belief and trust in baby jesus and holy Mary etc.at that age (mostly 6 or 7 then). The dress was the more important factor for little girls. Confirmation was another story altogether - that was definitely all about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

An incredibly cynical take.

If it wasn't for experience jb...

We do it with everything, and we've even done it historically. It literally is part of Irish culture (although not exclusive to Irish culture either).

Gave my nephew a few quid when he made his.

I had no idea I was bribing him or competing with other relatives.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had no idea you would take what I said personally.

Thanks for clearing that up and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I had no idea you would take what I said personally.

So your grandiose theories about Irish people are in fact not supposed to be applied to actual people in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

A copy of FIFA 03, paid for dinner in the cafe afterwards and the rest was put into the Credit Union.

• Advertisement

So your grandiose theories about Irish people are in fact not supposed to be applied to actual people in ireland?

That's one less than interesting interpretation of what I actually posted. However, I have no doubt you're old enough to know the difference between a commentary at an individual level, and a commentary on a society. I didn't apply it at an individual level, you chose to interpret it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Can't remember. Not sure I even got any money. Made my communion in England.

Some of the powers of recall on these kind of threads is uncanny.

Made my communion in England as well.
    A long time ago, remember little of it.
    Still have the photo, though - taken in the school yard.
    A neatly dressed child, shirt, tie and short trousers - a genuinely innocent smile on his face.
    Wonder what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

48 pounds back in the day...put it in post office and it's still there is say.

I'll be giving 50e next week to a good friends daughter for her communion ..times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Mid 80s I bought some prize bonds at mothers insistence and a pure bred sheep! (My idea).
    Must have been a magic sheep though cos got money off my father every spring for years after for lambs and wool, possibly long after my original sheep died.
    I have zero interest in farming now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

mod-Come on folks, lets keep this light hearted and leave the church bashing for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Barbie! wrote: »
    mod-Come on folks, lets keep this light hearted and leave the church bashing for another day.

i bought myself a Bop It, and priests are great

amidoinitrite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I spent mine on college fees, some 23 years after making my communion. I opened a savings account with mine and over the years added and withdrew as required but the balance never fell below the ?100 I opened the account with. That was until I decided to go back to uni and cleared out my savings to pay for my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I spent mine on college fees, some 23 years after making my communion. I opened a savings account with mine and over the years added and withdrew as required but the balance never fell below the ?100 I opened the account with. That was until I decided to go back to uni and cleared out my savings to pay for my course.

So you operate a FILO system?

Has that caused you any issues tax-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

I made £50. I bought a game for my Gameboy and spent the rest in Dr. Quirkeys. Yes, I am a nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Made it in 1970... My mother put it up safe for me. I'm still waiting and it's not looking good.

72 here probably got 3-4 pounds, little phuckers today would throw it back at you if they only got that amount. Mind you back then I could have bought a good few calves with 4 pounds as they were selling from 10p to 50p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I blew it at the bumping cars in Bundoran, 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Put it in the Post Office saving account I had, got about £20 which was good going back in 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No idea how much I got at the time (around 95) but I think I got a bike with it, the rest would have gone into the PO savings account. Feel bad for those who didn't see a penny of their own money!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Same as any birthday and Christmas money I got, went into post office, took it all out around my confirmation time, put it in the credit union and kept adding to it till I was able to buy myself a car and the insurance when I was 20.
    God I'm boring....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

My parents said they'll put it in the bank and now it's resting in an account somewhere under my name that I have no access to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I got a carton of cigarettes. Old man grabbed me and said 'Smoke up Johnny!' No idea why he called me Johnny.

Nah, he bought me a Mountain Bike with it. Raleigh Maverick. Loved that bike and that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Commodore 64. . .well it went towards it, those things were expensive, the auld fella added the little extra required.

Little did I know that that was a mistake, I couldn't get much time on it because of his Leaderboard golf addiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got £27 in 1980. I bought a blue bike and was mercilessly teased as it was thought to be a boy's bike. I remember getting a note from a neighbour rather than coins as I was standing in front of the Tv as an incentive to move.

Rather startlingly these memories are more real than going to the zoo on the day where my granny bought me an ice cream. I do remember vividly she ate the end of the cone and it dropped over my new shoes. I cried and she went home. She died later that night of a heart attack. My grandfather died the day of my confirmation. So I can recall little about the events only the time after! No wonder I haven't got married! Religious events don't end well for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Well it's that time of year again when communion money and "going rates" are a hot topic once more!

I made my communion in the nineties and made about 150 pounds or so but.... I never got to spend it!

My parents bought me something out of it alright I'd say but they kept the rest to cover the cost of the day er... I mean... "keep it safe".

I never got over it, I wanted to buy a pony.

So what did you spend your communion money on??

Boats and ho's boats and ho's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cola bottles and h.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Forgive me for saying it but must be some sh1t car.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

Bought a laptop in '09, got just over €300 if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Didn't get much, maybe fifty pounds. Small family who didn't go daft with the pressies and back in the early 90s where I'm from, neighbours and family friends didn't give anything. Just kept it in my piggy bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

1992. I can't remember a huge amount, though I definitely bought a Mitre Premier League ball and pair of Sondico goalkeeper gloves.
    Sondico >> Reusch.

Advertisement