Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime investigation after Caitlyn Jenner 'suffers vile transphobic abuse'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I can't quote posts but yes, I do think that the comment 'Bruce, will you get your dick out' is fairly innocuous.

Why do you think it is innocuous? (That is a genuine question, I am interested to know)
    I used the name Bruce in the post as it is part of the supposedly offensive comment.

I agree and concede that the comment is somewhat offensive, but I don't think it should be criminal.

So... is it 'supposedly offensive' or 'somewhat offensive'?
    In relation to Enda Kenny I have rang his constituency office and made much worse feedback than that.

This is a genuine comment, not a 'snarky liberal aside'.

If you are making calls to Kenny's constituency office, in the first instance you are speaking to fairly low paid employees, who are not soldiers of kin but administrative employees trying to earn a wage. If you feel okay subjecting them to stuff worse than the subject of this issue I strongly advise you cease doing so immediately. Most especially if you have done so on a recurring basis. This could be considered harassment and lead to negative consequences.
    It shouldn't be a crime to have a negative opinion of someone, nor should it be a crime to express that opinion.

It isn't a crime to have a negative opinion of someone so, with respect, that is a canard. Expressing a 'negative opinion' can have multiple meanings. Should I be free to tell my black boss that I think she is inferior to me genetically, and that I think women like her deserve to be raped? Should I be free to tell my gay neighbour that he is a ****** who God hates and he deserves to burn in hell? Again serious question, that I am interested in hearing your opinion on.
    In the past we shared a common society and common values. That's why people were largely nice to one another. In a fractured multicultural society like we now have we should expect much more abuse in public. People hate one another now.

I take complete issue with this. When were we a 'common society' with 'common values'? When women were routinely imprisoned for becoming pregnant before marriage? When gay men were routinely criminalised, discriminated against, even murdered without sanction? When illegitmate children enjoyed, by State sanctioned law, less rights? When children were routinely raped by clergy and state employees with impunity? When was this blissful past when things were better?
    If someone asked Enda Kenny to get his dick out I'd expect Enda to reply that he's all dick.

Genuine Q again, do you realise that there is a difference between asking Enda Kenny to get his dick out and asking a transgender woman who has faced that pain and struggle all their life, decided to go through a painful and public transition, including permanent surgical intervention, to get their dick out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

So to remove any ambiguity, Caitlin Jenner should be referred to as 'she' from here on.

Lol, all hail king of the pronouns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 General Butt Naked

riemann wrote: »
    Lol, all hail king of the pronouns

Don't you mean queen?

Don't you mean queen?

Do you honestly think you are being witty? Like do,honestly think this is a funny joke?

Do you honestly think you are being witty? Like do,honestly think this is a funny joke?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Why? What makes it funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

If you need it explained to you,what's the point....humour is subjective...you didn't get it...move on!

I like poking fun at the gender hysteria. Respect muh pronouns!

I also don't like being told how to think, what to say, and having the threat of hate crime laws being used against me because I insulted Queen Jenner.

sabat wrote: »
    Still has an intact cock afaik.

Incorrect. Jenner recently confirmed in a televised interview that she had gone ahead with gender reassignment surgery.
    I believe the technical term for someone like this is "a ladyboy."

Incorrect. The correct term is a 'pre-op' but even that is considered impolite. I don't obsess about the genitalia of the people I meet. Why do you?
    I do think that things can go astray when the developing foetus begins divvying up mind/gender/body and that transexualism is a genuine condition, but there's something about this case that just always seemed a bit off to me.

Specifically what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If you are the kind of person who thinks being called out for rude, or offensive behaviour is a justification for suddenly believing that others deserve less legal equality, or deserve to face discrimination then it says alot more about you than society.

It is funny though. We never hear that the prohibition of theft is driving up rates of thieving, we never hear that the prohibition of rape is making people rape others...

The prohibition of speech is of course a whole other thing.

The left needs to go back to class and economics and leave identity politics to the yanks.

• Advertisement

Incorrect. Jenner recently confirmed in a televised interview that she had gone ahead with gender reassignment surgery.

Incorrect. The correct term is a 'pre-op' but even that is considered impolite. I don't obsess about the genitalia of the people I meet. Why do you?

Specifically what?

Obsessed about telling others what to be thinking though.

Say something mean to a transgender and you run the risk of being hauled in by the secret police for hate crime!

Guess we know who the real privileged are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you are the kind of person who thinks being called out for rude, or offensive behaviour is a justification for suddenly believing that others deserve less legal equality, or deserve to face discrimination then it says alot more about you than society.

It is funny though. We never hear that the prohibition of theft is driving up rates of thieving, we never hear that the prohibition of rape is making people rape others...

Oh were at the "rape" part of the discussion already? That was quicker than normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

No it is not.
    Still has an intact cock afaik. I believe the technical term for someone like this is "a ladyboy." I do think that things can go astray when the developing foetus begins divvying up mind/gender/body and that transexualism is a genuine condition, but there's something about this case that just always seemed a bit off to me.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    If you need it explained to you,what's the point....humour is subjective...you didn't get it...move on!

This is a discussion board. The entire purpose of it is for us to discuss and debate. As such, I am interested in understanding what people find funny in mocking transgender people. If you find it funny, and funny enough to repost publicly (and clearly you're not alone) then I think you should be capable of explaining the humour in it?

The prohibition of speech is of course a whole other thing.

The left needs to go back to class and economics and leave identity politics to the yanks.

This is utterly meaningless, standard moany right wing whinging. We live in a society where free speech is balanced against other rights and laws all the time. And have done so long before anyone gave a **** about transgender people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Say something mean to a transgender and you run the risk of being hauled in by the secret police for hate crime!

Guess we know who the real privileged are.

No in fact as I believe transgender does not seem to be covered by the law. Also according to CPS very few complaints. Are you aware of any person in Ireland or the UK who was "mean" to a transgender person being prosecuted?

Yes.

Great. And I asked why? What is funny about mocking transgender people?

This is a discussion board. The entire purpose of it is for us to discuss and debate. As such, I am interested in understanding what people find funny in mocking transgender people. If you find it funny, and funny enough to repost publicly (and clearly you're not alone) then I think you should be capable of explaining the humour in it?

You wouldn't understand,it humour some get it some don't...you don't that's ok...others do,that's ok too...I don't have to explain anything to anybody of the internet...but your welcome to ask...

This humour exists because people have had it with pc and the regressive left.

Check out A Wyatt Mann for example. When people are told 'don't say that' they will become deliberately offensive to piss of the thought police.

• Advertisement

gitzy16v wrote: »
    You wouldn't understand,it humour some get it some don't...you don't that's ok...others do,that's ok too...I don't have to explain anything to anybody of the internet...but your welcome to ask...

And I have done. Repeatedly and in each instance you have failed to reply a response.

Do you not know yourself? Or is it that you are afraid to say? Come on chick... I'm dying to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus we've to explain humour now.
    Guess we will have to add transgenderes into the same group as muslims now, the group that can't be mocked.

Check out A Wyatt Mann for example. When people are told 'don't say that' they will become deliberately offensive to piss of the thought police.

What the poster fails to realise is that comedy is very often offensive in nature

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Come on chick...

Did you just assume that persons gender? And then use a patronising term for said gender.

#OMG #StopTheHate

And I have done. Repeatedly and in each instance you have failed to reply a response.

Do you not know yourself? Or is it that you are afraid to say? Come on chick... I'm dying to know.

I found it funny,what more do you need to know...
    GTFO with your "chick"...whats that supposed to imply

No in fact as I believe transgender does not seem to be covered by the law. Also according to CPS very few complaints. Are you aware of any person in Ireland or the UK who was "mean" to a transgender person being prosecuted?

Then why is this guy being investigated for hate crime?
    Great. And I asked why? What is funny about mocking transgender people?

It pisses off people like you, members of our self appointed morality police. No doubt you dislike religion but you not much better, denouncing others for their heresy.

Comedy that makes someone feel bad about themselves is not comedy!

That says why the humour exists. It doesn't explain why you personally find it funny which is what I am trying to explore.

So in other words you find deliberately mocking and laughing at vulnerable funny? So like if I shove a wheel chair crip down the stairs and post a video here y'all will be breaking yer ****s laughing?

Jesus we've to explain humour now.
    Guess we will have to add transgenderes into the same group as muslims now, the group that can't be mocked.

No and I haven't suggested it. So maybe take a chill pill babe and give up the auld whiney righty victim complex. #snowflakesareus

• Advertisement

You're fighting a losing battle, people like this can't even spell empathy let alone define it.

That says why the humour exists. It doesn't explain why you personally find it funny which is what I am trying to explore.

So in other words you find deliberately mocking and laughing at vulnerable funny? So like if I shove a wheel chair crip down the stairs and post a video here y'all will be breaking yer ****s laughing?

Advertisement