Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtle signs that someone is 'old fashioned'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Looking up the death notices in the paper before reading anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Tbf i still use it....couldnt get used to layout of other site on mobile

But im from backarse of nowhere...so me being old fashioned is to be expected :P

Legacy site, all the way.. t'other one hurts me eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

TENS machine in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Holds a door open for someone.

Is able to speak correctly, not like someone from South Central Los Angeles.

So you consider basic good manners old fashioned?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

annascott wrote: »
    So you consider basic good manners old fashioned?:confused:

its getting that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

topper75 wrote: »
    What about the NAACP then? I notice they didn't rebrand?

Some cats love to just be hepper than hep.

Coloured people are coloured people. I treat them the same as I treat non-coloured people. I actually have no obligations to them beyond that.

And if black people find the term offensive, or offensive when it comes from you then you ought not to use it. This isn't difficult or taxing. It is just basic manners.

We used to use the term illegitimate and bastard. We know better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

snowbabe wrote: »
    Looking up the death notices in the paper before reading anything else

Or buying the paper just to read the death notices, and when they're read, putting the paper away in a special cupboard to be used later to start the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

They own shares in Transatlantic Zeppelin, Amalgamated Spats, U.S. Hay, Confederated Slave Holdings and that “up-and-coming” Baltimore Opera Hat Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I suppose it is but for some buying the Sunday Papers is still a big thing too.My in-laws walk to the local shop everyday for their paper , they're in their eighties and I suppose classed as old fashioned but still cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The phrase "old fashioned" in itself seems like a relic from another time. I haven't heard it used in so long.

Haven't the 'new fashioned' people replaced it with 'vintage', 'retro','throwback','part of an alternative lifestyle', 'hipster chic' etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Rather than see themselves as individual autonomous things, they know that they represent their family and so consider any consequences before taking actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is few individual around and the poster is one, that hold firmly on to the belief Ireland is does not have a liberal society despite the same sex referendum, that Ireland supposed liberalism is only a mask and the country is in reality a hot bed of repress sexuality and religious oppression.

There are interesting bunch to talk to, they don't acutely know anyone who is religiously oppressed or sexually repressed but they know Ireland is full of them ( down the country anyway ).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jeanjolie wrote: »
    One of the things I really don't like about our country is the number of old fashioned attitudes and beliefs (even among young people 21 and under coming from wealthy backgrounds) towards a few things DESPITE our claims that we're progressive and liberal.

Now, I won't say them as to not skew the start of this thread but if we're taking old fashion to your meaning, what do you think the signs are?

I'm waiting to see if someone defines it the same way as I do...

Call me old fashioned because I believe in the good old fashioned concept of responsibility and not being entitled to stuff that I haven't earned.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Until yesterday I didn't know what the term "dab" meant. I found out it was a dance move.
    I think I'm old fashioned.
    Or maybe, just old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They ride around on a penny-farthing.

You calling me old fashioned????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 jjarmas

In the current cultural climate anyone who refuses to be in denial about the evidently acute vacuity of modern society is automatically labeled a ultra-conservative religious freak. It's very difficult in this country today to come across even a single individual who is neither a scrote nor a dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

jmayo wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned because I believe in the good old fashioned concept of responsibility and not being entitled to stuff that I haven't earned.

Apparently it's also old fashioned and seldom taught now that all rights also come with important responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

From reading the OP, thinking that 21 is the limit to be classified as a 'young person'.. Am I over the hill at 22? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    From reading the OP, thinking that 21 is the limit to be classified as a 'young person'.. Am I over the hill at 22? :D

Can it grandpa, you'll get you supper when we're good and ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

jjarmas wrote: »
    In the current cultural climate anyone who refuses to be in denial about the evidently acute vacuity of modern society is automatically labeled a ultra-conservative religious freak. It's very difficult in this country today to come across even a single individual who is neither a scrote nor a dope.

Interesting point. The increasing hive-mind of one side of society (whatever guise/word you choose for "liberalism") is quite worrying really.

A few posts back I saw a poster refer to "coloured's" (as in "people") as if its some nasty word. Its mad, how something so ridiculously UN-noteworthy finds its way into being an "offence".

I suppose the internet, allowing the ever-offended to blast their voice across the planet, has the largest portion of blame for this.

The intimation of the OP is that "old-fashioned" and "progressivism" are counterpoint to each other....that's interesting too! I would say in a lot of ways, those two phrases can often be the same thing, not opposites of each other.

To where does this progressivism take us? Surely theres an end point, and surely those end points have already been met in very many cases. We've been around for a long-arse time, afterall.

So for those that get offended on behalf of people they've never met, lets take "coloured" as an example.....

Whats the end-game? Whats the word for "coloured" that will please everyone forever into the future?

Or is "progressivism" really just a way to complain forever about everything, to feel as if you partook in something worthy (which, of course, it can never be)?

Short answer: Old fashioned = smell of biscuits

pangbang wrote: »
    Interesting point. The increasing hive-mind of one side of society (whatever guise/word you choose for "liberalism") is quite worrying really.

We have never lived in a more diverse time, we have never had as many divergent opinions present and respected in society. Feel free to contort and demean society as you wish in order to have it fit into your narrative of some fictionalized past but know that it doesn't change the reality of now or the yesteryear.

It is a blatant nonsense to suggest that there is an increasing hive-mind centered around 'liberalism' and to suggest that our current society is more restrictive than previously is plainly false. Homosexuality criminalized, sex before marriage a terrible sin, incredible social pressure to attend religious service and believe in conventional doctrine, enormous pressure for women to live their lives in very particular ways, sometimes enforced with the help of the law.

You can take you delusions of some better past and go day dream about them because they never happened and I for one am delighted we have moved substantially on.
    pangbang wrote: »
    A few posts back I saw a poster refer to "coloured's" (as in "people") as if its some nasty word. Its mad, how something so ridiculously UN-noteworthy finds its way into being an "offence".

I suppose the internet, allowing the ever-offended to blast their voice across the planet, has the largest portion of blame for this.

To where does this progressivism take us? Surely theres an end point, and surely those end points have already been met in very many cases. We've been around for a long-arse time, afterall.

So for those that get offended on behalf of people they've never met, lets take "coloured" as an example.....

Whats the end-game? Whats the word for "coloured" that will please everyone forever into the future?

Or is "progressivism" really just a way to complain forever about everything, to feel as if you partook in something worthy (which, of course, it can never be)?

Un-noteworthy to you, not un-noteworthy to those affected by it. Do you have experience growing up as an African American? Do you know what that word reminds them of, what it makes them feel? By what right do you claim to be able to determine what and how they should feel? And you talk about a hive-mind?

I'm not black, I used to think coloured was the more appropriate way to refer to black people. I then heard and read why it wasn't and so I stopped. This is not difficult, is not taxing, costs me nothing and it is plain, good 'old-fashioned' manners not to refer to people by terms that make them uncomfortable. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

And if black people find the term offensive, or offensive when it comes from you then you ought not to use it. This isn't difficult or taxing. It is just basic manners.

We used to use the term illegitimate and bastard. We know better now.

So these 'black' people are protesting right now outside the NAACP offices looking for a name change, yeah? :D

topper75 wrote: »
    So these 'black' people are protesting right now outside the NAACP offices looking for a name change, yeah? :D

... hey you know the way you aren't black and the NAACP is a black organisation....

Kind of similar to they way something your friend says is handled differently to something a stranger says...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Use the word slacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Making large trays of triangular white bread sandwiches on an occasion when more than 5 people will be in your house?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Use the word slacks!

It would always be said in the singular as well.

"Grand pair of slack they are, could wear them for work, mass, funerals and to the hurling."

The same can also be said about 'trouser'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It would always be said in the singular as well.

"Grand pair of slack they are, could wear them for work, mass, funerals and to the hurling."

The same can also be said about 'trouser'

Slack or slacks both are terribly old fashioned to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

jeanjolie wrote: »
    It's quite sad that I know a lot of young men not just the older generation who feel the need to buy into this as being 'polite'. Even quite a lot lads in my school believe in 'women and children' first.

Honestly...I'd think that any modern day Ireland would do better without young lads like this.

They are not buying into anything, they are well reared and respectful of others of both sexes.

What's sad is your belief that statements like "women and children first" are borne out of perceived vulnerability and misogyny and not out of love and respect for the women and children they love applied to a wider society.

Your view that men are purely risking their own lives because they think the poor lickle woman and child is too weak to do anything is doing a disservice to all the men who give their lives out of love for women and children. And also because men are logical and are thinking of survival of the species.

I'll bet no man is thinking " oh I'll die and let that bitch live and her kid so I can have one last chance to undermine the feminist movement."

I'm a woman and I'm fed up of men being vilified all the time. Guess what? Men open doors for other men too, not just women. It's called manners.

Old fashioned, maybe I am? ...but not every fashion trend wears well and can look ridiculous, a bit like your opinions above.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

<strong>We have never lived in a more diverse time, we have never had as many divergent opinions present</strong> and respected in society. Feel free to contort and demean society as you wish in order to have it fit into your narrative of some <strong>fictionalized past</strong> but know that it doesn't change the reality of now or the yesteryear. <br>
    <br>
    <strong>It is a blatant nonsense to suggest that there is an increasing hive-mind</strong> centered around 'liberalism' and to suggest that our current society is more restrictive than previously is plainly false. Homosexuality criminalized, sex before marriage a terrible sin, incredible social pressure to attend religious service and believe in conventional doctrine, enormous pressure for women to live their lives in very particular ways, sometimes enforced with the help of the law.<br>
    <br>
    You can take you delusions of some better past and go day dream about them because they never happened and I for one am delighted we have moved substantially on.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Un-noteworthy to you, not un-noteworthy to those affected by it. Do you have experience growing up as an African American? Do you know what that word reminds them of, what it makes them feel? By what right do you claim to be able to determine what and how they should feel? And you talk about a hive-mind?<br>
    <br>
    I'm not black, I used to think coloured was the more appropriate way to refer to black people. I then heard and read why it wasn't and so I stopped. This is not difficult, is not taxing, costs me nothing and it is plain, good 'old-fashioned' manners not to refer to people by terms that make them uncomfortable. Simple as.
    <br>
    <br>
    So about that diversity thing and the amount of divergent opinions.....isn't that just another way of saying more and more people disagree with each other? How do you think that feeds into overall unity of society? Surely it can only mean LESS unity, yeah? Less unity = good?

How can it be a fictionalised past if you are saying that things are different now? You cant have one without the other.

"Hive-mind" is a blatant nonsense, eh? You disagree that there are people adopting issues that have ZERO effect on them, that would never have heard of these issues, but have, for NO self-interested reason taken up the "cause"? Well that screams hive-mind to me. You arguing about "coloureds" is a great case in point. You were told that its naughty, and now you believe its naughty and will echo that point to others, and on and on. I put that kind of "thinking" down to having nothing better to do, the desire to be part of some non-existent cause in order to feel more accepted by the hive mind. Your post only goes to prove my point. That there are an increasing amount of people that scream out loud to be offended on behalf of people they generally have no affiliation with (in this case, you are part of a minority black movement on a different continent, instructing people in Ireland about what words to use...!)

But why don't you answer the question/point that I actually posed instead. What is the end-game of progressivism? And the second part, do you think that none of those end-points have already been met?</p><p> </p><p>I'll take point with homosexuality. The marriage referendum that took place, I think the numbers were 65% for, 35% against. Now lets say that 4% of the population was directly affected by the vote.

After that round of progressivism, you went from a population that was 96% unaffected, to a country now where 35% of the population are at odds with society, and felt strong enough about the issue to vote against it. Which was better for society, 96% on the same page or 65%? (No need to pick at numbers, this is just a broad stroke analogy, not saying anything about homosexuals either, could be talking about rhubarb for the sake of the argument.)

The current-day interpretation of progressivism is, in my opinion, just to be a contrarian, ever-offended, always trying to change everything for the sake of changing it.

And lastly, as much as you might believe in, say, the "coloured's" argument (argument!)....just remember that if we are to continue as a society along your lines of thinking, there will be a point where you will be called old-fashioned, out-dated, hateful, irrelevant....and WHEN that happens, and you feel like the world is taking crazy pills....look in the mirror for the answer.

"Progressive" is becoming a dirty word. And the swing in the opposite direction is already taking place. Will you be the type of person that swings with it, the cause du jour, or will you have a mind of your own?

Advertisement