Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtle signs that someone is 'old fashioned'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A little bit racist but still goes to mass. When talking about their parents, even to complete strangers, they call them Mammy and Daddy. A dinner without spuds isn't a dinner.
    And bootcut jeans with square brown shoes that have velcro fasteners.

You don't know that. Plenty of lads have less tolerance for the OP's crap than most young fellas might wish to think. And plenty of girls would be glad to be put wise to yer mans comments. Plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

JayZeus wrote: »
    You don't know that. Plenty of lads have less tolerance for the OP's crap than most young fellas might wish to think. And plenty of girls would be glad to be put wise to yer mans comments. Plenty.

Mate...elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

longshanks wrote: »
    A little bit racist but still goes to mass. When talking about their parents, even to complete strangers, they call them Mammy and Daddy. A dinner without spuds isn't a dinner.
    And bootcut jeans with square brown shoes that have velcro fasteners.

ah , Ive met a couple of them , usually they mutter about " them Musiiilisms " and " A-rabs" without a clue about what they are talking about

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Mate...elaborate please?

There's another good indicator.

Grown men who object to random people on the internet addressing them as 'mate' when they are anything but their mate.

Mate.

• Advertisement

Flirts coyly from behind her fan while wearing a conservatively perfumed powdered wig. May have a glued on velvet beauty spot in a non-risque facial location. Crosses her legs at the ankle and to the side, making sure only the tips of her shoes are visible.

Sends correspondence directly from her fathers desk and stamped with his seal, so you know they still have Paters permission.

Never travels in a carriage without a chaperone.

Fills her dance card with relatives as well as with the names of societies more sedate dandies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Holds a door open for someone.

Is able to speak correctly, not like someone from South Central Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As a randy teenager he's following the same pattern of behaviour seen in certain adult males.

By grassing up his friend to the girls, he thinks he's going to get in with them. He thinks he'll see some action out of it. I know exactly how these lads operate.

In reality they view him as a sniveling rat, an untrustworthy individual of weak character. Not a potential mate.

They post sh!te like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

jeanjolie wrote: »
    One of the things I really don't like about our country is the number of old fashioned attitudes and beliefs (even among young people 21 and under coming from wealthy backgrounds) towards a few things DESPITE our claims that we're progressive and liberal.

Now, I won't say them as to not skew the start of this thread but if we're taking old fashion to your meaning, what do you think the signs are?

I'm waiting to see if someone defines it the same way as I do...

I can't hear you because I can't find my ear trumpet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Funnily enough the description "old fashioned"referring to a young person was by my parents generation (1950's) meant to imply that the person had notions and was rather precocious for his/her age.

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    Hold on, this is considered old fashioned? Are we all supposed to be wearing skinny jeans?

Wear whatever ya want. But they have long left their mid-noughties fashion heyday, I don't think that can be denied

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Referring to nonwhite people as 'coloured'

Going to the pictures.

Saying God forgive me after cursing.

Serving butter in cubes or fork scrapes in a glass bowl for the stations.

Having the stations.

Inability to utter the word gay, can only use the phrase 'that way' under duress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Isn't surgically attached to their smart phone and favours human interaction over social media communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Candie wrote: »
    Must be great being a mind reader.

It's not mind reading, it's a common male behavourial pattern.

Most widely observed in males of a low sexual market value.

How do I find out my market value?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

VonLuck wrote: »
    Hold on, this is considered old fashioned? Are we all supposed to be wearing skinny jeans?

Did you not see the thread in bargain alerts, someone posted a link to a good value pair of jeans, then everyone lost their **** because they weren't skinny or trendy enough.
    They were just a normal pair of jeans.

How do I post that Picard doing the facepalm thing from a phone? Really, eg, bigly. Grab her by the whatsit and show you're a silverback primate, blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How do I find out my market value?

Knock out an animal with your club and drag it back to the cave and then the women will assess you.

Do you know what denotes males of the lowest value on the sexual market?

Knowing all that stupid jargon, that's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

Flirts coyly from behind her fan while wearing a conservatively perfumed powdered wig. May have a glued on velvet beauty spot in a non-risque facial location. Crosses her legs at the ankle and to the side, making sure only the tips of her shoes are visible.

Sends correspondence directly from her fathers desk and stamped with his seal, so you know they still have Paters permission.

Never travels in a carriage without a chaperone.

Fills her dance card with relatives as well as with the names of societies more sedate dandies.
    You'll be getting the vapors next.

• Advertisement

Do you know what denotes males of the lowest value on the sexual market?

Knowing all that stupid jargon, that's what.

Status and wealth are the main factors for males.

We see examples of this, old rich guys with good looking young wives. Donald Trump would be an obvious case.

Status and wealth are the main factors for males.

We see examples of this, old rich guys with good looking young wives. Donald Trump would be an obvious case.

If I met you in real life, and you had this conversation with me about market values and what women want etc., I'd be making some polite excuses and exiting stage left as quickly as possible.

That's the effect buying into all this would have on your market value.

indioblack wrote: »
    You'll be getting the vapors next.

Who says I don't have them already?

Pass the smelling salts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Men wearing brown slacks, ironing a crease in their jeans, and wearing brown socks with sandals are just some of the signs that a person is old fashioned. Ladies wearing floral frocks too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Being more interested in and consuming more local than national and international media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

As a woman, I always find the conversations of what (some) guys think all women homogenously want in a male (usually them!) fascinating.

Most of it appears to be bollocks, mind you, but I suppose (some) women do the same regarding males.

As for subtle signs someone is old-fashioned... well, focusing on considering the entire opposite sex a homogenous mass to be attracted with simplistic tricks rather than assuming that X male or female is an individual and maybe getting to know them, become friends, see if you're actually compatible is probably one. Given the high rate of marriage with little actual knowledge of the other person in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

Samaris wrote: »
    As a woman, I always find the conversations of what (some) guys think all women homogenously want in a male (usually them!) fascinating.

Most of it appears to be bollocks, mind you, but I suppose (some) women do the same regarding males.

As for subtle signs someone is old-fashioned... well, focusing on considering the entire opposite sex a homogenous mass to be attracted with simplistic tricks rather than assuming that X male or female is an individual and maybe getting to know them, become friends, see if you're actually compatible is probably one. Given the high rate of marriage with little actual knowledge of the other person in the past.
    There's always the old one of making women laugh.
    I do that.
    Women are always laughing at me.
    Hang on, got to think about this.

If I met you in real life, and you had this conversation with me about market values and what women want etc., I'd be making some polite excuses and exiting stage left as quickly as possible.

That's the effect buying into all this would have on your market value.

I'm looking at it from a scientific ("behavioural") point of view not an emotional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

LordSutch wrote: »
    Ladies wearing floral frocks too :-)

There is almost nothing else around this year but florals.

• Advertisement

indioblack wrote: »
    There's always the old one of making women laugh.
    I do that.
    Women are always laughing at me.
    Hang on, got to think about this.

Nothing like a bit of humor and self deprecation.:)

It's miles more attractive than thinking women are slot machines where you put WXY in and SEX falls out.

Advertisement