Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtle signs that someone is 'old fashioned'?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

One of the things I really don't like about our country is the number of old fashioned attitudes and beliefs (even among young people 21 and under coming from wealthy backgrounds) towards a few things DESPITE our claims that we're progressive and liberal.

Now, I won't say them as to not skew the start of this thread but if we're taking old fashion to your meaning, what do you think the signs are?

I'm waiting to see if someone defines it the same way as I do...

Comments

jeanjolie wrote: »
    One of the things I really don't like about our country is the number of old fashioned attitudes and beliefs (even among young people 21< coming from wealthy backgrounds) towards a few things DESPITE our claims that we're progressive and liberal.

Now, I won't say them as to not skew the start of this thread but if we're taking old fashion to your meaning, what do you think the signs are.

I'm waiting to see if someone defines it the same way as I do...

How about the people who rightly state that Ireland is NOT progressive and liberal, and shouldn't apologise for that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

They ride around on a penny-farthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

They treat their elders with respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They wear a monocle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

Being progressive and liberal will be old-fashioned in 40 years time.

It's a generational thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Going outside for a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

They wear a monocle

And a top hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

They think boards.ie is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They do anything that subtly underlines whatever esoteric point I'm implying.

Plus they smell of Wethers Originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not being progressive and 'liberal' (which seems to find a new definition every year) does not equate with being old fashioned. Indeed the implication that 'old fashioned' is not a good thing, at many times or in many situations, is flawed too.

Forget the risk of skewing the thread. What do you mean yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They think for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

When they say someone is "doing a line" they mean dating and not snorting coke

They wear a monocle

Or boot-cut jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

jackwigan wrote: »
    They treat their elders with respect.

Don't forget they are 'whiteknights.' Had a guy in Junior Cert a few years ago spill the beans on what I thought of a few girls from a sister school that we did plays with because I shared my opinion that I thought they dressed quite provocatively.

I was never rude enough to say it to their faces or tell anyone besides him but apparently he got mad and told them everything after he got angry for an unrelated incident.

Don't think it's a coincidence that his father has the typical 'macho, old-fashioned gentleman' personality. Also not a surprise at all that he was known as the 'kissup' to teachers.

That's my opinion of being to old-fashioned

Don't forget they are 'whiteknights.' Had a guy in Junior Cert a few years ago spill the beans on what I thought of a few girls from a sister school that we did plays with because I shared my opinion that I thought they dressed quite provocatively.

I was never rude enough to say it to their faces or tell anyone besides him but apparently he got mad and told them everything after he got angry for an unrelated incident.

Don't think it's a coincidence that his father has the typical 'macho, old-fashioned gentleman' personality. Also not a surprise at all that he was known as the 'kissup' to teachers.

Good to get that off your chest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Very ironic in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fellas don't seem to understand that women despise "whiteknights"

I guarantee you that the girls this lad grassed you up to think that he's a pathetic excuse for a man.

Good to get that off your chest?

Ahhh..no. It was ages ago and I've forgotten about it, but there are still many of those people in Ireland.

That's why I am particularly cautious with associating closely with people who either obviously claim to have strict parents, come from a traditional cultural and/or religious background (African, Asian, christian, Muslim) or particularly adhere to 'traditional masculinity/femininity along with parenting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

Or boot-cut jeans

You sir have offended my sensibilities. I challenge you to a duel.

Ah, so good manners equals old fashioned.

Right so.

• Advertisement

Fellas don't seem to understand that women despise "whiteknights"

I guarantee you that the girls this lad grassed you up to think that he's a pathetic excuse for a man.

He wasn't a man. He was a boy. A child.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ah, so good manners equals old fashioned.

Right so.

What do you mean? Where did anyone mention manners?

How is any of that particularly old-fashioned as opposed to just this guy being that guy?

What does his dad have to do with you saying the girls looked like slu.. dressed provocatively and him telling them?

I'd say they thanked him for the heads-up btw.

Sarn wrote: »
    You sir have offended my sensibilities. I challenge you to a duel.

You can use your pointy brown shoes as a weapon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Saying Please & Thank You comes naturally to them (us)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

even among young people 21 and under coming from wealthy backgrounds

so ..... young people from poorer backgrounds are liberal and progressive, err Trump, le Pen, Brexit would seem to suggest that its poorer backgrounds that wish to turn the clock back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JayZeus wrote: »
    He wasn't a man. He was a boy. A child.

As a randy teenager he's following the same pattern of behaviour seen in certain adult males.

By grassing up his friend to the girls, he thinks he's going to get in with them. He thinks he'll see some action out of it. I know exactly how these lads operate.

In reality they view him as a sniveling rat, an untrustworthy individual of weak character. Not a potential mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Or boot-cut jeans

Hold on, this is considered old fashioned? Are we all supposed to be wearing skinny jeans?

As a randy teenager he's following the same pattern of behaviour seen in certain adult males.

By grassing up his friend to the girls, he thinks he's going to get in with them. He thinks he'll see some action out of it. I know exactly how these lads operate.

In reality they view him as a sniveling rat, an untrustworthy individual of weak character. Not a potential mate.

Must be great being a mind reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Drinks pints of Smithwicks.

Smokes Carrolls/Major.

Smokes a Pipe.

Wears a flat cap.

Sports a 'Ronnie'.

Wears slacks.

Sacred Heart lamp & picture in the Kitchen.

Lots of clues really.....

Advertisement