Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has this ever happened to you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Omackeral wrote: »
    /thread

Seriously, that's all there is to it. Unless you secretly enjoy the drama of it all which I know some people do. Just unfriend and block. Could not be easier.

As explained earlier he can just set up another profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

As explained earlier he can just set up another profile.

ignore and block.

easy, 5 seconds. he'll soon get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Glenster wrote: »
    ignore and block.

Did you not read where its been happening for years? Freaks like this never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

OP here. Before this I was a bit of a soft touch. I thought if I told him to leave me alone enough times he'd stop but he didn't. I heard that he had a bad trip on drugs years ago and it affected his mental state. Seeing as I also went to school with him in secondary school I thought I knew him but obviously not. He's someone who has changed for the worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I don't get how someone can send you messages on facebook if they are blocked or not a friend?

He does sound like he is mentally ill though as he's not getting the message that his attention is not wanted. The guards need to do a better job on this one, particularly if the person needs psychological help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't get how someone can send you messages on facebook if they are blocked or not a friend?

He does sound like he is mentally ill though as he's not getting the message that his attention is not wanted. The guards need to do a better job on this one, particularly if the person needs psychological help.

The guards tend not to take this stuff seriously at all - I had a work colleague who was threatened by a neighbour over some stupid dispute over the cost of building a boundary wall or something. The neighbour was clearly nuts, and threatened to burn the guys house down numerous times over a weekend, including on phone messages. The guards refused to call out saying it was a civil matter. The guy was afraid for his family, and eventually persuaded a guard to call around. The neighbour told the guard that he was going to kill the guy, and his family, and the guard just did the "ah shure there's no call for that talk, calm down now" line, and didn't do a thing! Turned out the guy had a conviction for assault, and the guards knew it, but they still did nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

OP, I would block him and deactivate for a while and if any further attempts at communication are made (through other methods), then keep all records and go back to the gardai.

Having been harassed on social media by a few different individuals, my enjoyment of it would take second place to not being harassed and feeling threatened on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Gravelly wrote: »
    The guards tend not to take this stuff seriously at all - I had a work colleague who was threatened by a neighbour over some stupid dispute over the cost of building a boundary wall or something. The neighbour was clearly nuts, and threatened to burn the guys house down numerous times over a weekend, including on phone messages. The guards refused to call out saying it was a civil matter. The guy was afraid for his family, and eventually persuaded a guard to call around. The neighbour told the guard that he was going to kill the guy, and his family, and the guard just did the "ah shure there's no call for that talk, calm down now" line, and didn't do a thing! Turned out the guy had a conviction for assault, and the guards knew it, but they still did nothing!

Did this happen at band camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Did this happen at band camp?

How did you know? Are you stalking me on Facebook :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

KKkitty wrote: »
    I've had that account for about 10 years so why should I change it or start again?
    You shouldn't have to do those things, but if you can't sort it out any other way, you could try those things.

Or you could have things continue as they are, and continue to believe that you shouldn't be the one to have to change.

• Advertisement

ignore and block.

Tell that to the boards re-regs with literally thousands of accounts.

osarusan wrote: »
    Tell that to the boards re-regs with literally thousands of accounts.

That's an army of trolls, this is just one loser. blocking is faster than re-regging.

That's an army of trolls, this is just one loser. blocking is faster than re-regging.

No, there is one particularly infamous rereg with thousands of accounts all by himself.

He can't message me now. I've blocked all his accounts and changed settings so only people on my friends list can message me.

No, there is one particularly infamous rereg with thousands of accounts all by himself.

Oh....

I suppose in that situation where someone pathetic is living to harass you, the only option is to leave facebook.

If every day you block him and every day he reregs.

He can't message me now. I've blocked all his accounts and changed settings so only people on my friends list can message me.

Hopefully that will put an end to it.

But if he has 'all his accounts' does that mean he has made new accounts? With the same name? Or different names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

You have to be joking:eek::confused:

Hopefully that will put an end to it.

But if he has 'all his accounts' does that mean he has made new accounts? With the same name? Or different names?

They'd be usually variants of his real name. I'll decline any friend requests from anyone I don't know for sure. He knows where I live but hopefully he's not that stupid to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They'd be usually variants of his real name. I'll decline any friend requests from anyone I don't know for sure. He knows where I live but hopefully he's not that stupid to come here.

Did you not say that he was outside your house once in your other thread?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Did you not say that he was outside your house once in your other thread?

Yeah​ I did. I stupidly told him my estate name and it didn't seem that long after that he was outside my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why would you even bother?!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

erica74 wrote: »
    No, go to the banlist and you'll see the same name appear under the 'Reason' column appear every so often.

I think that not all admin give that as the reason either - otherwise it would appear a lot more often than it does.

Who knows. It's not like they are actually trying to avoid discovery either - similar usernames, same posts all the time. There's something of an 'Hey look! I'm still around' attitude to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

erica74 wrote: »
    No, go to the banlist and you'll see the same name appear under the 'Reason' column appear every so often.

I think that not all admin give that as the reason either - otherwise it would appear a lot more often than it does.

Who knows. It's not like they are actually trying to avoid discovery either - similar usernames, same posts all the time. There's something of an 'Hey look! I'm still around' attitude to it.
    Where would one find a ban list?
    I was often curious to the reasons.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Where would one find a ban list?
    I was often curious to the reasons.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

Advertisement