Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has this ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

At the height of it he would leave me alone for a while and then start messaging me again. I have him completely blocked on Facebook now. I forgot he used a second account to message me so I have that blocked too. He knows where I live but I'm hoping that he's got the hint to leave me alone after the guards paid him a visit to his parents house the other night. He couldn't contact me personally so he started messaging my siblings the other day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has what ever happened to me?
    You've blocked this guy's two accounts, your siblings can do likewise. What more do you need from Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I love Facebook so I imagine how annoying their response must be. I went to the effort of creating a new account to evade someone like that but you shouldn't have to.

I've logged back in. I've gone through all privacy settings and unfriended his sister. I don't want​ to take the chance that she could be near him and leave herself logged in on some device. The guard I spoke to really hates social media. I understand the guard was concerned but why should a victim of harassment have to go off social media. The culprit should.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I've had the deactivate my account for similar reasons. Facebook is the least of my worries keeping me and my family safe is my priority. Ivan still use Facebook messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

KKkitty wrote: »
    I've logged back in. I've gone through all privacy settings and unfriended his sister. I don't want​ to take the chance that she could be near him and leave herself logged in on some device. The guard I spoke to really hates social media. I understand the guard was concerned but why should a victim of harassment have to go off social media. The culprit should.

Did you use the report function on FB, that will get them off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

To be fair to them, they have about a billion users. If on any given day .001% of their users wanted to call them, they would need a call centre to handle 100,000 calls.

Where do I even start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Glenster wrote: »
    Where do I even start?

tried turning it off and on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Plenty of other ways to keep in contact with family and friends.

Shut page down and re open under new name but allow your real friends and family on. Don't be thinking oh I'll accept anyone and everyone.

If he can't find you its all the better for you.

You could use WhatsApp for a while or email and so on.

Ring or text is another wonderful option.

Social media ain't all its cracked out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

People saying "just delete and block him" he can just set another page up etc, best thing to do is change your settings so you cant be found at all.

• Advertisement

I should be practically invisible on Facebook now. I won't be accepting friend requests from anyone I don't know. I've asked family members to report his page and a friend too. I've connected with some long lost relatives through Facebook too so I want to be able to keep in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Without sounding harsh, do people accept requests from people they do not know? That's surely a recipe for trouble.
    OP are you in touch with anyone connected to this man? Would you br able to flag his mental health symptoms to anybody who could help him.
    He sounds a bit 'mad' not bad but you are absolutely right to phone police and to block him from contacting you.

To thine own self be true

Without sounding harsh, do people accept requests from people they do not know? That's surely a recipe for trouble.
    OP are you in touch with anyone connected to this man? Would you br able to flag his mental health symptoms to anybody who could help him.
    He sounds a bit 'mad' not bad but you are absolutely right to phone police and to block him from contacting you.

I'm not in touch with anyone connected to him. Tbh I don't want to be either. If a guard who just saw him for the first time was able to tell he wasn't all there what's going on with his family. They must see him regularly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Due to a guy I went to school with harassing me through Facebook messenger the guards told me to deactivate my Facebook account for a while. I have done nothing wrong so why should I do it? I have him blocked and I went through my security settings on it the other day too. I like going on it to keep up with family and friends who I wouldn't see all that much.
    Best thing to do is get off Facebook for ever. I would never go on Facebook ever it is best to be a private person in life .

Best thing to do is get off Facebook for ever. I would never go on Facebook ever it is best to be a private person in life .

Well I'd agree with you to a point but why should I get off it when I've done nothing wrong? If anything he should be made get off it. I don't share anything about my life or kids on it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe you could set up a new profile and migrate everything to that one, and leave the old one 'open' so that if he does try and get to you, he'll be in the wrong place.

There's a possibility he might have noted the names of some of your friends as a way to find you again after being blocked, so it might even be worthwhile to put a new name on the profile.

It's a bit of an effort, but might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Well I'd agree with you to a point but why should I get off it when I've done nothing wrong? If anything he should be made get off it. I don't share anything about my life or kids on it really.

you can block them, so block them

what's the problem

Facebook have already given you a solution so what do you expect of them exactly?

There is lot of people in Ireland who are not on Facebook KKKitty you can live you life with out Facebook what did people do when there was no Facebook ?:confused:. The world full is full of dangerous nasty people Men and Women .and a lot of them are on Facebook so best to delete your Name from Facebook for ever and enjoy life and be Happy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

But you're on boards though

I've reported his accounts to Facebook. Why am I feeling like I've done something wrong? I'm the one who's been harassed. I've had that account for about 10 years so why should I change it or start again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've reported his accounts to Facebook. Why am I feeling like I've done something wrong? I'm the one who's been harassed. I've had that account for about 10 years so why should I change it or start again?

TBH I'm not quite sure of the purpose of this discussion. Life's not fair. Yes it sucks but i think your safety and peace of mind is more important than a Facebook account. Keep your page or delete it, block him engage him or ignore him. You're the one that has to live with what's going on but short of Facebook deleting his account, nobody can stop him having an account on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Who is this guard? I'd like to buy him a pint for giving such a common sense suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If only Facebook had a button that got Mark Zuckerburg to send a bunch of nerds around to his house to rough him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm not in touch with anyone connected to him. Tbh I don't want to be either. If a guard who just saw him for the first time was able to tell he wasn't all there what's going on with his family. They must see him regularly enough.
    Did he indicate to the guard if he was going to keep away from you?
    Did the guards record the complaint and note that he did not appear well? I'm just trying to make sure your situation is recorded so if you have to report him again, they will take it as urgent.

To thine own self be true

Did he indicate to the guard if he was going to keep away from you?
    Did the guards record the complaint and note that he did not appear well? I'm just trying to make sure your situation is recorded so if you have to report him again, they will take it as urgent.

The guard I spoke to took down details of it. I'm sure the guards who visited his house made a report after that. He seemed very defensive, rambling nonsense and even the guards said he was like a chap that stays in his bedroom smoking weed all day. He wouldn't go to the door but spoke from his bedroom window.

If they seem sound enough, amusing or interesting, why not? You can take precautions and be careful with what you disclose. We talk to new people we don't know all the time in reality. How else would you make friends?

Why? My friends share some personal thoughts and news and they can get stuff off their mind on Facebook. Everyone is different but it suits some of us to have an outlet as well as having some craic on Facebook.

But you're on boards though
    :D:);) but there all nice people here.

OP, I had noticed you posting this elsewhere. To be honest you'd be better off looking for something along the lines of a Barring or Safety order. If this is being pursued, the only means to hinder him in the short term is to close out on Facebook. Although as an option, have you followed up with Facebook to get him blocked?

Why would it? The letters can be ignored without any issue. It's just expensive correspondence.

Generally, domestic violence orders only apply to people in a specified relationship, parent child, husband wife, or who have resided together.

The only real civil remedy is an injunction. The poster was right to refer it to the Gardai, and the Gardai were right to tell her of steps she can take to mitigate the problem. If she doesn't take their advice, well she is closing doors, and if she is insisting that the only way it can be addressed is by a prosecution, that's for the Gardai and the DPP to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wossack wrote: »
    just unfriend and block? Whats the issue here?

/thread

Seriously, that's all there is to it. Unless you secretly enjoy the drama of it all which I know some people do. Just unfriend and block. Could not be easier.

Advertisement