Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Vicar Street - 17th & 18th September

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The reason it was both empty upstairs and extra cramped downstairs is because they don't segregate the two like they do in the Olympia.

You can't get upstairs with a standing ticket but if you've a seated ticket you can access the standing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

Easy Rod wrote: »
    The reason it was both empty upstairs and extra cramped downstairs is because they don't segregate the two like they do in the Olympia.

You can't get upstairs with a standing ticket but if you've a seated ticket you can access the standing area.

It needs to be better enforced, it felt genuinely unsafe at times on Monday night and I agree with previous poster, the bars should be closed for the duration of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Lots of seats upstairs free I noticed, wonder why this was.

I had seats upstairs but they were near the back on the side so I stood at the back of the upstairs balcony instead for a better view.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

s8n wrote: »
    It needs to be better enforced, it felt genuinely unsafe at times on Monday night and I agree with previous poster, the bars should be closed for the duration of the show

I was at an Eels gig in the Olympia a few years ago, where they closed the bar for the support act (fairly sure it was Melanie De Biasio) People complained, but it was easily the most enjoyable support act I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don't know about closing the bar, I enjoy having a pint during a gig. However, if I am having 3/4 pints I make sure to hang out at the back/side of the crowd so I'm not pushing past loads of people on each trip to the bar/jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

They close the bar for a lot of comedy shows and I’ve seen Neil Young and Nick Cave there previously and the bar was closed for the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Matt is being interviewed on the Paul McLoone show at the moment for anyone who's interested.

Recorded on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SmittyMcGurk

Hi folks. I know this is a long shot but I was at the Vicar Street gig on the 18th. During England Matt came to the front of the crowd and threw his arm around me. There was a guy behind me who got a picture and tried to email it to me, but no joy. Would love to get a copy if anyone knows him.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

Hi folks. I know this is a long shot but I was at the Vicar Street gig on the 18th. During England Matt came to the front of the crowd and threw his arm around me. There was a guy behind me who got a picture and tried to email it to me, but no joy. Would love to get a copy if anyone knows him.

Maybe try leaving a comment on one of their facebook posts. Chances are he or one of his friends 'likes' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SmittyMcGurk

Will do. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I was told yesterday that they're booked for Forbidden Fruit, according to a friend of someone involved in FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I was told yesterday that they're booked for Forbidden Fruit, according to a friend of someone involved in FF.

They're reportedly headlining Primavera, so the timing would make sense.

Gabi, the booker for Primavera, implied as much on a forum after Frank Ocean pulled out.

This year, Bon Iver did both, there was probably a bit more of a crossover too, so the timing would add up.

I'd be stunned if the National didn't turn up at a summer festival in Ireland next year. If they're around early summer, EP might just be too late for the touring schedule (like Arcade Fire or Bon Iver - perfect EP bands that were just in Europe too early this year) and they did Longitude two years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The Natonal are coming back in 2018!! Heard an ad on the radio this morning. 15th and 16th of June. Not sure where - thought I heard some park or stadium. Excellent news.

Donnybrook Stadium I believe it said. thought it said that tickets were 76.50 though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

Donnybrook Stadium I believe it said. thought it said that tickets were 76.50 though :eek:

Did you catch when tickets are on sale?

i didn't, but i'd imagine it's next Friday, there doesn't seem to be much more than a week's notice for most gigs these days!

I heard the ad as well, but haven't been able to find anything online about it, apart from here.
    I heard them announce two nights in Donnybrook Stadium. Fri, June 15th and Sat, June 16th.
    They said special guests to be announced as support.
    Tickets on sale Friday, October 13th
    Didnt hear a price mentioned. €76.50 might be enough to scare me off though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,361 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Isn't donnybrook a very weird place to play?

it's a bit odd for doing 2 nights alright, 6000 capacity x 2 is basically the same amount as a night in the 3Arena. I think the standalone Royal Hospital Kilmainham gigs are usually around 12,000 too?
    might be something to do with Aiken being the promoters and not having access to other venues, or others being booked already.

heard the ad on Newstalk around 8:30 and have listened to a few ad breaks since then but no mention of it again, I wonder if it was aired early?

it's a bit odd for doing 2 nights alright, 6000 capacity x 2 is basically the same amount as a night in the 3Arena. I think the standalone Royal Hospital Kilmainham gigs are usually around 12,000 too?
    might be something to do with Aiken being the promoters and not having access to other venues, or others being booked already.

heard the ad on Newstalk around 8:30 and have listened to a few ad breaks since then but no mention of it again, I wonder if it was aired early?

That was my thinking, just that there seems to be nothing online, no announcements or Facebook posts from the band or their usual sources and no repeat of the ad since!

I wonder did someone make a mistake and run it a little early?

• Advertisement

And, like that, Aiken tweet it and make me look silly.

"A full line up of guests" to be announced. Presented by Harmonic. Tickets on sale next Friday at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

too expensive for the tickets... im out

• Subscribers Posts: 41,361 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I almost got divorced for missing out on getting tickets for the last gig, I can't miss this one.

Is there any pre sales with aiken gigs?

boardie100 wrote: »
    too expensive for the tickets... im out

Have ticket prices actually being announced? Dont see any mention on the tweet.

Nevermind

https://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/thelist/show/1268-the-national-donnybrook-stadium-dublin-live-in-donnybrook-stadium-mulberry-ln-Dublin-4-on-15-Jun-2018.html?Itemid=1268

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Regards the price, I would say there will be decent support acts. On the announcement they made a point of saying "full line-up to be announced".

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Regards the price, I would say there will be decent support acts. On the announcement they made a point of saying "full line-up to be announced".

It almost sounds like to me that The National are hosting a 2 day festival, where they will headline both nights with different support on each day. Aiken are selling single tickets and two day tickets - 1 day ticket - €76 // 2 day ticket €136

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah I'd say it will be a mini festival lineup, possibly curated by them like Sounds from a safe harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fran1979

I will hold off and see what other acts are announced for each day. I really enjoyed The National gig at the Cork Opera House but 2pm gates opening and lots of alcohol means this gig doesn`t appeal too much to me as it is. What is the capacity of this venue for a concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

Fran1979 wrote: »
    I will hold off and see what other acts are announced for each day. I really enjoyed The National gig at the Cork Opera House but 2pm gates opening and lots of alcohol means this gig doesn`t appeal too much to me as it is. What is the capacity of this venue for a concert?

agree totally ! be interesting to see what the line up with be - Lisa Hannigan a definite cert ;).
    Also thinking high chance they will play Marquee in cork as well - they love cork like !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement