Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Vicar Street - 17th & 18th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

smurf54 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice Matt spitting on stage a few times? I've seen the National a few times and loved them every time. Thought there was a bit of an arrogant swagger about Matt last night. Along with throwing half full cups of wine at the crowd and leaving the stage twice during the gig. Something strange seemed up with him I felt. Left the stage at the end while the rest of the band were still playing too.. I was right up the front by Aaron Dessner and he seemed pissed off with him at the end of the gig.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much. Anyone else notice his behaviour wasn't the best?

I wasn't there last night but from seeing him at Glastonbury along with Longitude last summer - this was his behaviour also while downing a shed load of wine during both gigs.

I am not sure if this is part of the act/show? If not, then he is certainly showing the traits of an alcoholic given how many gigs they play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smurf54

I wasn't there last night but from seeing him at Glastonbury along with Longitude last summer - this was his behaviour also while downing a shed load of wine during both gigs.

I am not sure if this is part of the act/show? If not, then he is certainly showing the traits of an alcoholic given how many gigs they play!

Yeah always noticed the bottle of wine through every gig alright. Spitting on stage 3 times though... It was nasty.. Lisa Hannigan looked particularly uncomfortable when she saw him spit one of the times. Bad form I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone else notice Matt spitting on stage a few times? I've seen the National a few times and loved them every time. Thought there was a bit of an arrogant swagger about Matt last night. Along with throwing half full cups of wine at the crowd and leaving the stage twice during the gig. Something strange seemed up with him I felt. Left the stage at the end while the rest of the band were still playing too.. I was right up the front by Aaron Dessner and he seemed pissed off with him at the end of the gig.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much. Anyone else notice his behaviour wasn't the best?

He did exactly the same thing in Cork .
    Its largely an act I believe.

He drank hardly anything in Cork ,he had lots of plastic cups with drink in it scattered around but he only had a few sips ,most of it was thrown into the crowd.
    The last time they played the Marquee he was completely mouldy ,he was guzzling drink all night .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Yeah always noticed the bottle of wine through every gig alright. Spitting on stage 3 times though... It was nasty.. Lisa Hannigan looked particularly uncomfortable when she saw him spit one of the times. Bad form I felt.

He has all the traits or ism's of a rip roaring alcoholic. I am 100% convinced he needs help. All that song writing talent doesnt mean jack if you are dying from alcoholism.
    No normal drinker acts the way he would in their job. Artist or not its not on to be polluted at every show despite rlthe mans talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭J-C

Any genuine ticket selling there? Where you could hand over the cash, and head in with the ticket seller. Thinking of heading in to Vicar Street this evening to see if anything going. Missed the ticket sales, and couldn't go last night as was All-Ireland day. Unfortunately it was drowning of the sorrows rather than breaking out the champagne

Yes it's worth a shot. I was queuing at the box office kiosk last night and the guy in front of me had 2 tickets but he was on his own so he was asking the assistants if there was some way he could sell his spare. Needless to say he wasn't waiting too long for a taker and both went in no problem.

Kiosk assistants were very helpful. Out of our group of 6, we had 3 confirmation emails but only 2 of the credit cards to hand. They took a minute to verify the emails but let us through thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

i will hopefully be up approx 7.30 or just before

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What time will they start at tonight do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

sheroman01 wrote: »
    What time will they start at tonight do we know?

9pm last night so I assume the same tonight. Glad to see you got sorted with a ticket.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    9pm last night so I assume the same tonight. Glad to see you got sorted with a ticket.

Nice one, will be in for half 8! Thanks! Some ordeal to get one but got one in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know this is pointless at this stage but if anyone has a no show friend and has ticket, I'd love to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, his last glass hit me right in the chest. Thank God it was plastic. Not the first time it's happened over the years at various concerts but wasn't expecting it from the act. All part of the act I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah, his last glass hit me right in the chest. Thank God it was plastic. Not the first time it's happened over the years at various concerts but wasn't expecting it from the act. All part of the act I suppose.

As if he would have thrown it if it was glass!

I can confirm it's red bull Matt is drinking. I just go soaked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

The throwing the drink is grand. The spitting is rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Fantastic gig. Very wild performance and audience. Peter Dinklage was sitting in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I'm quite jealous of tonight's setlist :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

cefh17 wrote: »
    I'm quite jealous of tonight's setlist :(
    Ha me too - I was at the cork gig but tonight's trumped them all by looks of it ; unreal !! Way more high energy ones that would love to have seen in cork as well. Ah well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

whatever76 wrote: »
    Ha me too - I was at the cork gig but tonight's trumped them all by looks of it ; unreal !! Way more high energy ones that would love to have seen in cork as well. Ah well ...

Its a miles better setlist than Cork ,much better balance of fast and slow songs and more old stuff.
    Some run of songs to finish with too from England on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Phenomenal couple of hours -
    Had built this up so much was worried it might not live up ,
    But it absolutely DID and more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Much preferred the cork setlist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Delighted I went last night. Best setlist of the three nights in my opinion. All the wine, squalor Victoria, pink rabbits. Would have been a perfect setlist if they'd managed to squeeze in about today and geese of beverley road.

Managed to get in for both nights and I felt Monday night just edged it for me. 'All the Wine' is probably my favourite National song so was delighted and I think I got to see more of the performance from a seated position (including getting soaked). Agree with the above, if they'd played 'About Today' it would've been near perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Managed to get in for both nights and I felt Monday night just edged it for me. 'All the Wine' is probably my favourite National song so was delighted and I think I got to see more of the performance from a seated position (including getting soaked). Agree with the above, if they'd played 'About Today' it would've been near perfect.

Were the seats assigned? We were going to try to get a seat but someone told us that they were booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Were the seats assigned? We were going to try to get a seat but someone told us that they were booked.

One of the blocks at the back was reserved, side seats on the ground floor were up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

He does it at every gig these days. He likes to give the impression he might just have a meltdown of some kind. Keeps everyone on the edge of their seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Incredible gig. I have seen The National a tonne of times but that trump's even the Olympia gigs. There was a real edge to last night's performance coupled with the high energy set list towards the end made it perfect.

Great gig! So nice seeing them in such a small venue. As people mentioned, most of the new album didn't go down too well due to it's recent release and the fact most of the quite slow burning. That been said, still enjoyed the songs that I personally liked like Nobody Else Will be There, Day I Die, System, Guilty Party and Turtleneck. I was originally torn between who got the best setlist, mainly because I love Mistaken for Strangers and Apartment Story, but luckily I think Monday nights was the best :)

In relation to Matt's antics - relax lads. Let him drink and throw around plastic cups. It's a bit craic and funny. No harm. I'm pretty sure most acts do this. I was at the Kings of Leon concert earlier this year and people were complaining that they did nothing on stage - no pleasing people.

Agree with the standing area being too crowded. Was a pain at times. Especially when people are constantly going out to get drink. How necessary is it to constantly buy drink throughout the gig? Can people really not wait 2 hours to have a drink? Banning alcohol from being brought into the standing area would be a welcome addition, once the gig kicks off. Don't get me wrong, I love a few drinks before a gig, but just during the gig, give it a break.

Lots of seats upstairs free I noticed, wonder why this was.

Also, fair play to the girl who agreed to swap my Cork tickets for her Dublin tickets - I posted mine to her in Cork, and she posted me her credit card (expired but still)! Got in no problem, so no real problems with this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

sheroman01 wrote:
    Agree with the standing area being too crowded. Was a pain at times. Especially when people are constantly going out to get drink. How necessary is it to constantly buy drink throughout the gig? Can people really not wait 2 hours to have a drink? Banning alcohol from being brought into the standing area would be a welcome addition, once the gig kicks off. Don't get me wrong, I love a few drinks before a gig, but just during the gig, give it a break.

Agreed, constantly getting moved, shoved, squirmed by and patted by people. I drove, didn't move from the venue for 2.5hrs and still enjoyed myself.

Advertisement