Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Bread?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I find a lot of breads (and pastas) these days just don't agree with me and mess up my digestive system. I like bread an would very happily eat it in moderation but days of discomfort just aren't worth it. I don't think I have a gluten intolerance as I can eat good wholemeal soda bread with no issues, so it's just something else in the bread that makes me feel bad. I do make oat/yoghurt bread/cakes a lot and eat them for breakfast. I'm a breakfast person and would happily eat nearly half my day's calories first thing in the morning, and it's usually something with egg and/or yoghurt and oats with lots of fruit and maybe nuts (and coffee). So the oat/yoghurt base for baking works well for me. Especially as I'm happiest when my breakfast is pre-prepared and I just have to serve it up in the morning.

I'm going to start experimenting with sourdough as I used to make an eggy-breadpuddingy type cake for breakfast a lot and I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Sourdough

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

wonski wrote: »
    Putting eggs and bananas in the same sentence about healthy food is debatable.

Definitely dark bread is better than plain white if you have to.

What is wrong with eggs?
    Researchers studied nearly half a million Chinese adults over nine years and found up to one egg per day led to a lower risk of heart disease and stroke. Experts have pointed out, however, that participants in that study were not eating a Western diet.
    https://www.heart.org/en/news/2018/08/15/are-eggs-good-for-you-or-not
    I think eggs are one of the superfoods, and one of the best nutritional bang for your buck out there, packed with nutrients, no sugar or salt, and very tasty, versatile, satiating and cheap.
    Generally they are associated with good health. Bananas are probably the most sugary common fruit but is fine if eaten as part of a varied diet and active lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I said debatable, not wrong.

It depends on which studies you read. Eggs are linked to heart diseases as well, but to be fair what isn't these days.

Everything in moderation is just fine in my opinion. Even bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

soporific wrote: »
    Don't forget that any wheat-based bread , gluten-free or not, home-made or not, is more insulinogenic than sugar.
    Do you have a source for that.
    Or care to add units to it.

I'd have a hard time believing that 100g bread produces more insulin that 100g of glucose.

jim o doom wrote: »
    Anything made from mechanically produced flour is bad, as the very finely ground particles are very quickly absorbed by the body and cause a siginficant insulin response as a result.

I'd be interest to see if there was any science behind that or whether it was just a theory he made up.
    Particle size sounds logical, but kinda ignores that it's in a partially dissolved solution with eggs, milks, water, and baked into a solid mass for a hour.
    There there's the issue that faster response doesn't mean greater response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

AllForIt wrote: »
    It's understandable your confused. Bread is nowhere near as healthy as it used to be. The ingredients in modern day bread have been processed to death such that the nutritional value of bread is so low that it is hardly worth consuming.

The biggest trick the bread manufactures have done in recent years is to put seeds on the crust. This is just a trick to make ppl believe it is healthy. Brown sliced bread with seeds on top isn't a jot more healthy than white sliced bread, because they are all equally devoid of nutritional value.

Saw an interesting video on this recently, made me reevaluate a bit the bread that I was buying (one brown bread that I was buying turned to be made with only 16% wholegrain, so nor that healthy after all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

soporific wrote: »
    Don't forget that any wheat-based bread , gluten-free or not, home-made or not, is more insulinogenic than sugar. Bread should be enjoyed for what it is: a treat. Consume it like chocolate or alcohol. It is not a health food nor a receptable of essential nutrients. If bread was just another safe food option like eggs or bananas, then people would not feel compulsed to eat it every day and pretend that it was part of a healthy diet.

I thought wheat contained gluten?

I think bread with gluten can cause inflammation and bloating in lots of people. Wheat belly is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Saw an interesting video on this recently, made me reevaluate a bit the bread that I was buying (one brown bread that I was buying turned to be made with only 16% wholegrain, so nor that healthy after all).

Yeah and Scooby's a natti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The low gi fresh baked cob in Lidl is probably the tastiest I've ever eaten. I wrote to lidl last year for the ingredients in order to calculate the slimming world value and it scored only 1sin per slice, which is really really good.

• Advertisement

The low gi fresh baked cob in Lidl is probably the tastiest I've ever eaten. I wrote to lidl last year for the ingredients in order to calculate the slimming world value and it scored only 1sin per slice, which is really really good.

It's gorgeous, can you pm the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Sorry, had a quick look but I can't even remember which address I used. They're very helpful, just mail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I find this topic very interesting. I’ve only a stone to lose & despite walking & calorie counting it ain’t shifting. I am going to cut out bread for the next week & see how things go. I had a lovely bowl of porridge earlier which keeps me full for ages. As mentioned before I eat spelt bread have an intolerance to the ordinary wheat bread. I’m crossing my fingers this will make a difference for me..

All bread is unhealthy, it's made from grains which are harmful to the body like mist grains.

From what I remember the main issue with bread, especially white is high gi.

There are however types of bread offering low/medium gi.

Nutritional value of bread depends on the type, but it is mostly carbs. Not much else.

Wholemeal bread isn't that bad, though.

All bread is unhealthy, it's made from grains which are harmful to the body like mist grains.

That's absolute BS, bread is fine once you know what you're eating.

It contains phytic acid which prevents the absorption of nutirents, and often contains lectins which damage the gut.

How much would you have to eat to cause any real damage???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Believe it or not,
    Oats and yogurt baked make unbelievable tasty bread and you know what your eating, very healthy and satisfying.

Cant recommend enough.

My daughter is coeliac, the missus makes a soda bread version of this for her - it's very nice, and amazingly "bread like" for want of a better word.

That being said I'm not really a bread eater, so I don't eat much of it!
    wonski wrote: »
    Putting eggs and bananas in the same sentence about healthy food is debatable.

What's wrong with eggs or bananas?

Absolutely nothing, both are very good for you, eggs especially a source of protein, healthy cholesterol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It contains phytic acid which prevents the absorption of nutirents, and often contains lectins which damage the gut.

It doesn't prevent the absorption of minerals. It impairs the absorption of some minerals being ingested in that meal. It doesn't affect the absorption of food later - studies look at it on a per-meal basis. Balanced diet (not hugely based on grains, nuts or legumes and even then you can mitigate the impact) and you're fine.

My daughter is coeliac, the missus makes a soda bread version of this for her - it's very nice, and amazingly "bread like" for want of a better word.

That being said I'm not really a bread eater, so I don't eat much of it!

I already answered this question earlier in the thread ;)

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    How much would you have to eat to cause any real damage???

A lot. Of course a moderate consumtion of 1-2 slices daily of even white bread as part of a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables and exercise will not have any noticeable negative impact on your health

The most important thing about diet is balance and diversity. I think the law of diminishing returns is very applicable here in the people who limit entire food groups for no real reason. Theres only a few things about diet absolutely agreed upon, such as reducing added sugar and sodium and over consumption of refined carbs,avoid fried foods, to eat plenty of vegetables, etc after that it gets very muddy very quickly and there no concrete proof at all that diets like no dairy, no gluten, keto,raw, paleo, vegan are necessarily significantly better or worse than one another, and what diet works for you might not for another person or be the healthiest type for them/you. So try to eat whole fresh unprocessed food in a varied balance diet and most importantly BE HAPPY and enjoy your food and dont listen to nutters on the internet advising outrageous and extreme diets, because it is mostly baseless and just their own subjective interpretation of literature

I switched to gluten free a few months ago as I felt so bloated and yuck from bread even though I would eat at most two or three slices a day.Also went gluten free with pasta.Buy Kelken pasta in Supervalu and Aldi gluten free bread.For me it works no more bloating and having a really icky tummy.I thought it was just a fad before going gluten free but now having read up quite a bit on it am convinced that gluten doesn't suit everyone.

wakka12 wrote:
    A lot. Of course a moderate consumtion of 1-2 slices daily of even white bread as part of a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables and exercise will not have any noticeable negative impact on your health

I guessed, thanks. It never ceases to amaze me how some love to throw alarmist labels at things when in fact it's not really the food rather the behaviour that does the real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Its just amazing that Europe managed to survive on bread as the most basic staple, "the Staff of Life" - worth rioting and wars - if it really had been such an inferior food.
    In fact it is a very good basic food.

These threads are mental. Extremes being used to make a point.

Can most people eat bread as part of a balanced diet? Yes.

Should people eat lots of bread? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Don't forget many single slices of white bread can contain as much as 3gms of sugar each, some natural and some added.

Ye olde Spelt, (one of the many ancient grains) is meant to be very good.

Don't forget many single slices of white bread can contain as much as 3gms of sugar each, some natural and some added.

That's meaningless in and of itself. You have to consider a single choice in the context of someone's whole diet.

Really, look at all the diseases people suffer from post agricultural revolution vs pre agricultural revolution. People pre farming rarely had a cavity or frail bones like those post farming. A fish in water doesn't realise it's in water because it's normal. Malnourishment is normal so people think bread is fine, they think cavities are fine, they think aches and pains are fine, it's just due to "getting older".

Any sources on that? Lots of the diseases are from eating highly processed foods and no vegetables or fuit, sure,which many westerners do, but this is not being advised as a good diet by anybody on here. What we are saying is that not all 'post agricultural' diet foods are completely bad or so destructive in moderate quanitities that they should be completely eliminated, millions of people who eat of modern grains and other whole carbs as a staple(and small amounts of refined carbs) still live long and healthy lives, I think that is a much more compelling argument than the one you are putting out. The DASH diet which advises 6-8 servings of whole grains such as pasta,rice, bread has again been proven to be the most healthy diet for 8 years running . The mediterannean diet also regularly ranking as one of the overall healthiest diets for most people to choose also emphasises whole grains as a staple of the diet.
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/dash-ranked-best-diet-overall-eighth-year-row-us-news-world-report

Many of the longest lived population groups on earth also eat whole grains as a large staple of their diets. So what do you and other advocates of keto and hatred of carbs know that everybody else does not? I think its silly and strange to try to exclude such a large, diverse, cheap and so readily available food group without very strong reasoning.
    https://www.health.com/weight-loss/best-diets-2019
    But health experts are wary about the keto diet, and U.S. News’s rankings reflect that skepticism. For the second year, keto is at the bottom of the best diet rankings (tied with the Whole30 Diet at No. 38 out of 41), with an overall score of just 2.1 out of 5 and a “healthy” score of just 1.8 out of 5.

“We have basically no evidence that this diet is consistent with human health over time,” says Dr. Katz. (Its heavy emphasis on animal protein isn’t ecologically sustainable, either, he adds.) “All of the evidence we have points toward a plant-predominant diet with an emphasis on vegetables, whole grains, fruits, nuts, and seeds—all of the very things that the ketogenic diet avoids.”

The keto diet did jump considerably in one specific category, however: This year it tied with several other diets for No. 2 in Best Fast Weight-Loss Diets (after the HMR Diet, a commercial plan that replaces most meals with pre-packaged nutrition bars and shakes), up from No. 13 last year. “Yes, you can do this for quick weight loss,” says Dr. Katz, “but I wouldn’t recommend it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That's meaningless in and of itself. You have to consider a single choice in the context of someone's whole diet.

It holds meaning.

(White {refined/processed}) bread may do more harm than good, by providing excess sugars and calories and few nutrients, compared to many other foods.

Consider also many folks (unwisely) might have a couple of slices for breakfast (often just that and tea/coffee), then a lunch sandwich (shelves have mostly stock white), then another tea/toast combo in the evening.

Those sample x5 slices a day equate to 1/2 the recommended sugar intake.

• Advertisement

It holds meaning.

(White {refined/processed}) bread may do more harm than good, by providing excess sugars and calories and few nutrients, compared to many other foods.

Consider also many folks (unwisely) might have a couple of slices for breakfast (often just that and tea/coffee), then a lunch sandwich (shelves have mostly stock white), then another tea/toast combo in the evening.

Those sample x5 slices a day equate to 1/2 the recommended sugar intake.

That's the context. A slice on its own is still meaningless. That's the point.

And what you've outlined is a ****ty diet.

Advertisement