Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Bread?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm so confused. Is there such thing as healthy bread/wraps/rolls/buns? Does it have to be gluten free? Does anyone know what the healthiest options and brands are? Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bread isn't unhealthy.

Too much bread isn't advisable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

snowflame wrote: »
    I'm so confused. Is there such thing as healthy bread/wraps/rolls/buns? Does it have to be gluten free? Does anyone know what the healthiest options and brands are? Thanks :)
    only unhealthy bread is the processed white gloop you get, buy fresh from a bakery or make your own or get normal loafs and your good to go.
    if its part of a balanced diet your good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Believe it or not,
    Oats and yogurt baked make unbelievable tasty bread and you know what your eating, very healthy and satisfying.

Cant recommend enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Believe it or not,
    Oats and yogurt baked make unbelievable tasty bread and you know what your eating, very healthy and satisfying.

Cant recommend enough.

Have you got a recipe for that? (if it's not too much hassle obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Does it have to be gluten free?

No, not unless you're a coeliac/gluten sensitive.

If it's specifically lower calorie bread you're looking for then most brands e.g. Hovis, Johnson, Mooney & O'Brien, Pat the Baker have brown that's 50-60 calories a slice (due to the slices being smaller and thinner than standard, the calories per 100g is the about the same)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Personally I stay away from white bread, even bakers white bread, I find it to be very empty.

A good sourdough, cake of brown bread or a nice multi-seed always goes down a treat. I find brown bread is really good, full of fiber (not that sliced pan crap). Just don't overdo it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

love the multispeed sourdough bread, cannot eat the white bread, no taste from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Have you got a recipe for that? (if it's not too much hassle obviously!)

360g porridge
    500g plain natural yogurt
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 egg

Mix all these and either make a loaf or mini scones and they take about 20-30 mins in oven on about gas 5 but check them after the 20 mins as you want them to be a tiny bit moist on the inside as they can harden once cooled otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

360g porridge
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 egg

Mix all these and either make a loaf or mini scones and they take about 20-30 mins in oven on about gas 5 but check them after the 20 mins as you want them to be a tiny bit moist on the inside as they can harden once cooled otherwise

Thanks for that - will give it try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I adore fresh white bread. I cut off two inch super slices and smother them in butter. It's amazing and I'll kill the fool who tries to stop me.

It's just starch. As long as you balance the rest of your food intake there is nothing wrong with bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soporific

The U.S. FDA publish guidelines on how much mouse droppings, mold, and rat hairs are permissible and "Safe" within bread products. It all depends on what you regard as safe. You may not see mouse droppings or mold in a tasty slice of fresh bread, but your immune system may still react in a host of non-coeliac ways. Enjoy your sandwich!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's understandable your confused. Bread is nowhere near as healthy as it used to be. The ingredients in modern day bread have been processed to death such that the nutritional value of bread is so low that it is hardly worth consuming.

The biggest trick the bread manufactures have done in recent years is to put seeds on the crust. This is just a trick to make ppl believe it is healthy. Brown sliced bread with seeds on top isn't a jot more healthy than white sliced bread, because they are all equally devoid of nutritional value.

Gluten free bread is indeed gluten free, but the underlying bread is still as nutritionally void as your typical white and brown breads. So the fact is gluten free doesn't make it healthy in itself. There is no value in eating gluten free bread unless you have intolerance to gluten.

AllForIt wrote: »
    It's understandable your confused. Bread is nowhere near as healthy as it used to be. The ingredients in modern day bread have been processed to death such that the nutritional value of bread is so low that it is hardly worth consuming.

The biggest trick the bread manufactures have done in recent years is to put seeds on the crust. This is just a trick to make ppl believe it is healthy. Brown sliced bread with seeds on top isn't a jot more healthy than white sliced bread, because they are all equally devoid of nutritional value.

Gluten free bread is indeed gluten free, but the underlying bread is still as nutritionally void as your typical white and brown breads. So the fact is gluten free doesn't make it healthy in itself. There is no value in eating gluten free bread unless you have intolerance to gluten.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be eaten. Just that it shouldn't be a big part of your diet.

AllForIt wrote: »

I SUFFER HIGH CHOLESTOROL, AND YES GLUTEN IS A PROBLEM FOR ME, EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT HAVE AN INTOLERENCE TO IT, IT IS ADVISED THAT I LOWER GLUTEN INTAKE

360g porridge
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 egg

will try it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I eat brown breads bought locally . Most of them are baked locally but still mass produced sh***e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

360g porridge
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 egg
    It's nice, but be aware it's more calorie dense than bread. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just be aware depending on your goals.

Personally, I think portion control is the biggest issue with bread in general, rather than nutrional content, type etc. And misconsceptions that some breads (especially wraps) are less calorific than a couple of slices of a pan.
    soporific wrote:
    The U.S. FDA publish guidelines on how much mouse droppings, mold, and rat hairs are permissible and "Safe" within bread products. It all depends on what you regard as safe. You may not see mouse droppings or mold in a tasty slice of fresh bread, but your immune system may still react in a host of non-coeliac ways. Enjoy your sandwich!!
    For those boards.ie users eating in the US...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's nice, but be aware it's more calorie dense than bread. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just be aware depending on your goals.

Personally, I think portion control is the biggest issue with bread in general, rather than nutrional content, type etc. And misconsceptions that some breads (especially wraps) are less calorific than a couple of slices of a pan.

I'm afraid that mice and rats enjoy wheat in Ireland just as much as their cousins in the U.S. Talk to anyone in the business and they will tell you how impossible it is to keep rodents out of wheat storage. Rodents have spread everywhere along with wheat since the agricultural revolution. It's worth remembering that gluten intolderance is only one of many probelms with wheat, and the very fact that wheat consumption has opioid effects has lead many to consider it akin to a drug.

soporific wrote: »
    I'm afraid that mice and rats enjoy wheat in Ireland just as much as their cousins in the U.S. Talk to anyone in the business and they will tell you how impossible it is to keep rodents out of wheat storage. Rodents have spread everywhere along with wheat since the agricultural revolution. It's worth remembering that gluten intolderance is only one of many probelms with wheat, and the very fact that wheat consumption has opioid effects has lead many to consider it akin to a drug.
    If you can't keep them out of wheat, presumably you can't keep them out any grains, or rice or any bulk storage. So what are my rodent poo free options?

Macy0161 wrote: »

is there a healthy option for wraps

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »

Wraps aren't unhealthy.

Unless you meant an alternative to 'normal' wraps, e.g. gluten-free etc.

goat2 wrote: »
    They're not unhealthy, but you can get wholegrain options.

My point was really some people swap over to them for their sambo thinking they're the solution to losing weight when a white wrap is pretty much the same calories as two slices of a sliced pan. But probably with more fillings in a wrap, which is more likely to be an issue if there is an issue with their sandwich in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Baking bread for the family is probably the one change I've made to my routine over the past years that I value over all others.

Relatively healthy, low-sugar, low-salt loaves are really easy to produce.

beans wrote: »
    Baking bread for the family is probably the one change I've made to my routine over the past years that I value over all others.

Relatively healthy, low-sugar, low-salt loaves are really easy to produce.
    In theory, I think this would be great. In reality, portion control would go out the window in our house with freshly baked bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Fresh white bread-rolls are just as addictive as cocaine.

Don't forget that any wheat-based bread , gluten-free or not, home-made or not, is more insulinogenic than sugar. Bread should be enjoyed for what it is: a treat. Consume it like chocolate or alcohol. It is not a health food nor a receptable of essential nutrients. If bread was just another safe food option like eggs or bananas, then people would not feel compulsed to eat it every day and pretend that it was part of a healthy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Putting eggs and bananas in the same sentence about healthy food is debatable.

Definitely dark bread is better than plain white if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

According to Jason Fung (author obesity code), the only relatively healthy bread is wholemeal stoneground bread.

Anything made from mechanically produced flour is bad, as the very finely ground particles are very quickly absorbed by the body and cause a siginficant insulin response as a result.

I've mostly cut bread out of my diet recently and it is showing in weightloss terms.

I still have the above type of bread sometimes, and I also sometimes have very unhealthy corn or what taco bread, because I love tacos.

You could still eat regular "unhealthy" bread, but just don't do it all the time, like save it for the weekend or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

soporific wrote: »
    insulinogenic

That may be my new favourite word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I’m thinking also of cutting out bread. I would have 2 slices everyday for lunch. I always have spelt bread as the ordinary wheat bread doesn’t agree with me.

Advertisement