Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

"Verkauft, verkauft, verkauft" doesn't quite roll off the tongue just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Sleeper12 wrote:
    As I said in most countries ethnic or national origin falls under racism. It simplifies things when making or enforcing laws. A white English person can be racist to a white Irish person even though we are the same race.

So still no list of countries then? It's ok if you can't provide. Bye.
    here ya go: its called the EU.

Austria
    Italy
    Belgium Latvia
    Bulgaria Lithuania
    Croatia Luxembourg
    Cyprus Malta
    Czech Republic Netherlands
    Denmark Poland
    Estonia Portugal
    Finland Romania
    France Slovakia
    Germany Slovenia
    Greece Spain
    Hungary Sweden
    Ireland United Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Er 1 + 1=2 not 1

Er I live in Ireland so I am aware of our rascism laws. That's why I asked you for of list of what you claimed "most" countries. You obviously are unable to back up your claim so I'll leave it that.

here ya go: its called the EU.

Thanks for the list but 196 recognised countries, so not an answer to my question of 'most countries'. Thanks for trying though.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Weird but true - never realised that before now - wonder what the connection between Germans and pigs are?

Aren't Germans famous for loving pork?

[and away yis go :pac:]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are posting nonsense now. I've already posted Ireland & the UK so I'm not sure why you include them in your made up list. Look I'll put this to bed by posting the country everyone is talking about on this thread. Germany

http://www.globalworkplaceinsider.com/2016/02/what-protection-do-employees-have-against-race-discrimination-in-germany/
    Under the German Anti-Discrimination-Act, which is derived from European directives, all employees in Germany, including apprentices and job applicants, are legally protected against discrimination on grounds of race or ethnic origin. In particular, it is unlawful to discriminate during the recruitment or promotion process. It is also unlawful to discriminate on grounds of race or ethnic origin in the giving of instructions during the daily working process or in the payment of remuneration.

Its a European Directive so you'll find most if not all the EU countries in your list actually have the same laws. again you can see in Germany race & ethnic origin come under the same laws.

Man enough to say you made a mistake?? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You should have done Jimmy Cagney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Sleeper12 wrote: »

You are posting nonsense now. I've already posted Ireland & the UK so I'm not sure why you include them in your made up list. Look I'll put this to bed by posting the country everyone is talking about on this thread. Germany

http://www.globalworkplaceinsider.com/2016/02/what-protection-do-employees-have-against-race-discrimination-in-germany/
    Under the German Anti-Discrimination-Act, which is derived from European  directives, all employees in Germany, including apprentices and job  applicants, are legally protected against discrimination on grounds of  race or ethnic origin. In particular, it is unlawful to discriminate  during the recruitment or promotion process. It is also unlawful to  discriminate on grounds of race or ethnic origin in the giving of  instructions during the daily working process or in the payment of  remuneration.

Its a European Directive so you'll find most if not all the EU countries in your list actually have the same laws. again you can see in Germany race & ethnic origin come under the same laws.

Man enough to say you made a mistake?? :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    wrong poster but okay....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

nhunter100 and Sleeper12, just drop it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mod:

nhunter100 and Sleeper12, just drop it

Now you're being racist.
    Am I doing this right or do I need a poll and list ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

What makes it funny? A complex mixture of stereotypes that surely includes some influenced by anti-German sentiment after WW2. The OP may not be aware of being racist, in the same way a child who says "don't be a gay" will completely reject that they are being homophobic, but it's only funny because of these underlying prejudicial stereotypes. Unless, of course, it's being said ironically. But an important question in determining if that would be legitimate: do most Germans find mockery of their accent offensive? Because, if yes, then it's disrespectful to continue to do that which they find offensive. Woe betide if someone mocks an Irish accent.

What makes it funny? A complex mixture of stereotypes that surely includes some influenced by anti-German sentiment after WW2. The OP may not be aware of being racist, in the same way a child who says "don't be a gay" will completely reject that they are being homophobic, but it's only funny because of these underlying prejudicial stereotypes. Unless, of course, it's being said ironically. But an important question in determining if that would be legitimate: do most Germans find mockery of their accent offensive? Because, if yes, then it's disrespectful to continue to do that which they find offensive. Woe betide if someone mocks an Irish accent.

Good post but slagging an accent is not racist, piss take disrespectful yeah but not racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, it wasn't funny (and by funny, I mean humorous rather than clever) but it wasn't racist eiher.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I worked in Germany for 6 months and can safely declare that they are the most unfunny dull people on the planet with zero sense of humour so to answer your question, no you were not being racist, your friend was being a typical German person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Irish youngsters in 1847:

"Will the potato crop fail again thereby leaving me to face death by starvation?"

Irish youngsters in 2017:
    "What is the validity of some overseas lad's claim that my thoughts are not in line with received liberal twatology?"

We've come a long way baby!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If that's racist then we might as well all stop speaking in case we put our foot in it and offend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Might sound a stupid question, but she is white right?

Good post but slagging an accent is not racist, piss take disrespectful yeah but not racist.

I understand the point you're making. But I think you miss mine. Why don't people take the piss out of someone with a particular shade of brown hair? Because it's not notably different from any other shade of hair so there's nothing to take the piss about, right? But there is something about red hair that allows it. Something that acts as a target. And that's what you've got to answer - what about a German accent provides a target for piss take? I contend that it's unconscious prejudicial stereotypes.

Oh, it wasn't funny (and by funny, I mean humorous rather than clever) but it wasn't racist eiher.

Well, I disagree. But I accept it's not racist in the explicitly biggoted sense of visible racism.

I understand the point you're making. But I think you miss mine. Why don't people take the piss out of someone with a particular shade of brown hair? Because it's not notably different from any other shade of hair so there's nothing to take the piss about, right? But there is something about red hair that allows it. Something that acts as a target. And that's what you've got to answer - what about a German accent provides a target for piss take? I contend that it's unconscious prejudicial stereotypes.

I try to restrict my answers in general to the subject of the thread. Whataboutery I'll leave to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The way I usually deal with these situations is to side with whoever is hottest. If your friend is hot then you're a horrible racist and should be ashamed of yourself. If she's ugly or fat then she needs to lighten up and realise you were joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pigs with German accents are hilarious :D

Cork Pigs are Better !

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The Germans are a bit like the Swedes they have gone doolally over this political correctness.

I try to restrict my answers in general to the subject of the thread. Whataboutery I'll leave to others.

It is entirely relevant to whether it is racist or mere slagging. But, as you wish..

It is entirely relevant to whether it is racist or mere slagging. But, as you wish..

It's not it's just whataboutery...but thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

red ears wrote: »
    The Germans are a bit like the Swedes they have gone doolally over this political correctness.

Don't the Swedes eat Potatoes and The Gyrmins eat Sour Kraut

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It's not it's just whataboutery...but thanks for the reply.

Lol. On you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your Face wrote: »
    Everything is racist.

everythingisracist_zpshkwujrw5.jpg

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day, now what rhymes with white?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your not racist OP. If your comment was racist OP almost every Irish person would be racist towards Cavan people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Not racist at all.
    Next time, when with a Chinese friend, put on your best David Brent style Chireze accent and loudy read out amusing business names - they'll crack up. Honest. Do similar when with some Pakistani pals - they love people doing funny and witty impersonations of their accents - mention "poppadoms" and "Oh deary me" several times.

You'll be up there with David Brent in the "Funny and popular" stakes in no time. You could round off by doing your best Nigerian accent when dealing with African people - they love when people try to be witty like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Nein.......

You forgot the other 2

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement