Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Omackeral wrote:
    Also, German isn't a race

Most laws covering racism cover more than race. I can be racist against a white English man for example. Race laws also covers ethnicity. Irish people can be racist towards travellers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gravelly wrote: »
    Weird but true - never realised that before now - wonder what the connection between Germans and pigs are?

Pigs with German accents are hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Sleeper12 wrote:
    She can say that she does not like you to make fun of her but claiming it's racist is nonsense. Now if you put on the accent, did a Hitler mustache and the goose March she might have a case.

Still no case, xenophobic perhaps racist no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pigs with German accents are hilarious :D

True, but would a pig with, say, a Norwegian accent be any less funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

#Want to the poll to be blind so your answer is influence by the crowd. It's scheduled to close tomm pm.
    So here's the scenario - 
    A friend of mine is of German descent. We were driving past an advertisement of an estate agent with an German name and it had 'Sold Sold Sold' as the buzzwords.
    In my best German Accent i said "Sold Sold Sold", long story short - She finds this a bit racist.
    My stance - It's not racist because i'm not making an derogatory implications about the German people - It's just my impression of how some Germans speak. At worst it's not funny.
    People abroad do impressions of Irish people -  "Top of the morning to ya". I don't find that funny, but i don't think it's racist. 
    It's not implying anything negative about me, it's their (incorrect) understanding of how Irish people talk to each other.
    Interested to get other peoples thoughts.

Mind that snowflake in case she melts. Or else give her a lash of your sex stick if she's hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Mind that snowflake in case she melts. Or else give her a lash of your sex stick if she's hot.

lol - "Give her a lash of your sex stick" - only on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Racist, no .. childish, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Can't wait to find out the results tomorrow OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Everything is racist.

It is posted in AH to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Your Face wrote: »
    Everything is racist.

If everything is racist... then nothing is racist!

"Tolerance" becomes the new taboo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Your Face wrote: »
    Everything is racist.

Only if the OP is white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Your friend is a moron.

Gravelly wrote:
    Still wouldn't be racist though, as nazism isn't a race.

nhunter100 wrote:
    Still no case, xenophobic perhaps racist no.

In most countries this comes under racism laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

#Want to the poll to be blind so your answer is influence by the crowd. It's scheduled to close tomm pm.
    So here's the scenario - 
    A friend of mine is of German descent. We were driving past an advertisement of an estate agent with an German name and it had 'Sold Sold Sold' as the buzzwords.
    In my best German Accent i said "Sold Sold Sold", long story short - She finds this a bit racist.
    My stance - It's not racist because i'm not making an derogatory implications about the German people - It's just my impression of how some Germans speak. At worst it's not funny.
    People abroad do impressions of Irish people -  "Top of the morning to ya". I don't find that funny, but i don't think it's racist. 
    It's not implying anything negative about me, it's their (incorrect) understanding of how Irish people talk to each other.
    Interested to get other peoples thoughts.

Sounds like a typical German lol, joking.

It's not like you said Sold Sold Sold, fur you ze sale is ofver. Then you could have pretended to be the happy seller, but it was only on the market for €200k, and you got us €300k, what a great salesman and he could say "I vas only following orders"

Sleeper12 wrote:

Most countries? Which ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Well did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Your Teutonic friend may benefit from being reminded that the German nation is a little short on credit when it comes to crying racism after murdering close to 11 million people based on nothing other than their ethnicity or religious affiliation.

Plus they have an extremely poor sense of humour on the whole, although they are not all completely humourless, their reputation in relation to their sense of humour is typically deserved.

Glazers Out!

Sleeper12 wrote:

Just thought I'd ask again, any chance of a list of countries you are referring to. I have some spare time and I enjoy searching Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

It's a matter of opinion, and I don't mean that as a lazy cop-out I mean it as we are at a point in time where previous conceptions of what is considered racist are now facing something of a backlash from people who tire of the overreach of offence.

An interesting mindgame to take would be reach whatever conclusion you do about this German impression, then see where you end up doing the same exercise over say a Nigerian impression. You may find a distinction which you might find interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You obviously crossed the fraulein there.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Most countries? Which ones?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/hate-crime/racist-and-religious-hate-crime/
    What does racial or religious group mean?

A racial group means a group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origin. This includes:
    • Gypsies and Travellers
    • refugees and asylum seekers
    • Jews and Sikhs.
    A religious group means a group of people who share the same religious belief such as Muslims, Hindus and Christians. It also includes people with no religious belief at all.

As I said in most countries ethnic or national origin falls under racism. It simplifies things when making or enforcing laws. A white English person can be racist to a white Irish person even though we are the same race.

Anyway in ops case I can't see how his comments could be considered racist at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Don't mention zee war

Sleeper12 wrote:
    As I said in most countries ethnic or national origin falls under racism. It simplifies things when making or enforcing laws. A white English person can be racist to a white Irish person even though we are the same race.

So still no list of countries then? It's ok if you can't provide. Bye.

Just thought I'd ask again, any chance of a list of countries you are referring to. I have some spare time and I enjoy searching Google.

I don't have all day to google so maybe you can look it up yourself.
    I've linked the UK law & here is the Irish law http://mrci.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Racism.pdf

Can you see a pattern here?
    RACISM
    Racism or racial discrimination can be any distinction, exclusion, restriction or
    preference based on
    race
    , colour,
    descent
    , national or
    ethnic
    origin that has the
    purpose or effect of preventing people from enjoying or ex
    ercising their
    human
    rights
    and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any
    other field of public life.

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I don't have all day to google so maybe you can look it up yourself. I've linked the UK law & here is the Irish law

So just one country, not most as you've claimed grand so.

So still no list of countries then? It's ok if you can't provide. Bye.

I've provided Ireland & UK, the most important two for most Irish people. The rest of the EU cover ethnic & national under Racism laws. Perhaps you'd like to show links to all the countries that dont?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

storker wrote: »
    It may be unfunny, it may be a bit insensitive, I would say it's definitely not racist. But then I think the definition of what is racism has bee widened so far as to render the term almost meaningless.

The suggestion that there are different races and everybody is not the same, is racist now. You cant even use the term 'race' without being accused of racism.

So just one country, not most as you've claimed grand so.

Er 1 + 1=2 not 1:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Could have been stupid, not funny, or annoying depending on the exact context ... but finding it racist is way over the top IMO.

Advertisement