Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Racist?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

#Want to the poll to be blind so your answer is not influenced by the crowd. It's scheduled to close tomm pm.
    So here's the scenario - 
    A friend of mine is of German descent. We were driving past an advertisement of an estate agent with an German name and it had 'Sold Sold Sold' as the buzzwords.
    In my best German Accent i said "Sold Sold Sold", long story short - She finds this a bit racist.
    My stance - It's not racist because i'm not making an derogatory implications about the German people - It's just my impression of how some Germans speak. At worst it's not funny.
    People abroad do impressions of Irish people -  "Top of the morning to ya". I don't find that funny, but i don't think it's racist. 
    It's not implying anything negative about me, it's their (incorrect) understanding of how Irish people talk to each other.
    Interested to get other peoples thoughts.

Is an impression of accent [non-derogatory] racist? 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No. Your friend is an idiot is a delicate soul who can't take an oul lampoon in one way or another.

Don't mention the war!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

She's a bit too sensitive alright.

But Germans are like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This doesn't add up, Germans are noted for their wild sense of humour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nein.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

#Want to the poll to be blind so your answer is influence by the crowd. It's scheduled to close tomm pm.
    So here's the scenario - 
    A friend of mine is of German descent. We were driving past an advertisement of an estate agent with an German name and it had 'Sold Sold Sold' as the buzzwords.
    In my best German Accent i said "Sold Sold Sold", long story short - She finds this a bit racist.
    My stance - It's not racist because i'm not making an derogatory implications about the German people - It's just my impression of how some Germans speak. At worst it's not funny.
    People abroad do impressions of Irish people -  "Top of the morning to ya". I don't find that funny, but i don't think it's racist. 
    It's not implying anything negative about me, it's their (incorrect) understanding of how Irish people talk to each other.

It may be unfunny, it may be a bit insensitive, I would say it's definitely not racist. But then I think the definition of what is racism has bee widened so far as to render the term almost meaningless.

• Advertisement

Also, German isn't a race

despite what some little funny moustachioed man may have thought a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are you sure you didn't throw a 'Heil Hitler' onto the end of it? Be honest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Well you started it

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Nein.......

*slaps*

AT WHAT TIME DO YOU CLOSE?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I travel in the UK a bit for work, and if I had to get all triggered every time someone imitated my accent I'd be worn out by 11am every day. Women especially seem to get endless amusement from imitating my accent. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

racism
    ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    noun: racism
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

tell your friend to get a grip. she was offended, there a differnce between something being racist and offensive,
    if you'd said German real estate agent- bet he didnt sell it to some Jews.. thats racist.

i do find some impressions in poor taste, the typical one is 'fried rice' in a joky Chinese accent with fingers pulling your eye lids, its idiotic but i dont think its racist. offensive to Asian people sure. not racist, insulting yes, not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

im not racist but i enjoy a nice walk in the sun

Get her to listen to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Show her the silly walk from faulty towers as an example of proper racism (or whatever the correct term is) against Germans, it should put your mimicry into context.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

You can't expect a German to find your impressions funny.

Germans are well known to only laugh at farts or other people getting hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I can think of at least six million things more offensive to Germans than dodgy mimicry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

daveyeh wrote: »

Germans are well known to only laugh at farts

thinly veiled gas joke? boo

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

thinly veiled gas joke? boo

It wasn't, but I wish to claim it now.

I just don't have enough time to have people like that in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I hope the 'snowflake' found a safe space afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

me_irl wrote: »
    *slaps*

AT WHAT TIME DO YOU CLOSE?!

Half 4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

#Want to the poll to be blind so your answer is influence by the crowd. It's scheduled to close tomm pm.
    So here's the scenario - 

Tell your friend she's a snowflake.

(Then debate the use of the word "snowflake" as deragatory)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

osarusan wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't throw a 'Heil Hitler' onto the end of it? Be honest now.
    Boom. Godwinned. Post 8.

Hiss. Godwinned. Post 8.

Fixed your post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

She can say that she does not like you to make fun of her but claiming it's racist is nonsense. Now if you put on the accent, did a Hitler mustache and the goose March she might have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Boom. Godwinned. Post 8.

It takes a bit more than a Hitler mention to Godwin a thread.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    She can say that she does not like you to make fun of her but claiming it's racist is nonsense. Now if you put on the accent, did a Hitler mustache and the goose March she might have a case.

Still wouldn't be racist though, as nazism isn't a race.

Boom. Godwinned. Post 8.

The bould Adolf was alluded to in post 7. The war was mentioned, or rather the advice to not mention it, in post 2.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tell her to never watch an animated movie with pigs in it.
    At least 1 pig always has a German accent.

Also, a great time to post this.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Tell her to never watch an animated movie with pigs in it.
    At least 1 pig always has a German accent.

Weird but true - never realised that before now - wonder what the connection between Germans and pigs are?

Advertisement