Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of Alan Hawe to be exhumed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its the right decision to remove him. Hopefully it will make things easier for the family of Clodagh and the boys. As for him, I couldn't care less if they flush his ashes down the loo or shove them in a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

murpho999 wrote: »
    Was a stupid decision to bury them together in the first place.

Either way all the comments about 'rot in hell' and him being cowardly and disgusting actually show a complete misunderstanding of mental health issues which he clearly suffered from and no I'm not making excuses for him.
    It's actually you who is naive
    thats a bit harsh its lack of information as opposed to naivety, some newspapers did say he had mental health issues but it was confirmed before the investigation was put on hold that there was no record of anything wrong with him. but existing injuries to his wife were found

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

I'm glad they've exhumed his body, could never understand how they could bury him with his victims, it seemed cruel that even in death he was with them. Hopefully clodagh and her boys can finally rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's actually you who is naive

I'm not naive, I like most people here, do not fully know the full circumstances despite what people think they know because they have read stuff on the internet so just don't get into over the top reactions.

Simple as that.

I believe it was a mistake to bury him with them at the time and the family were poorly advised as they have to tend to the graves etc so can understand now that it has been reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not naive, I like most people here, do not fully know the full circumstances despite what people think they know because they have read stuff on the internet so just don't get into over the top reactions.

No set of circumstances can absolve or justify a man from killing his own wife & children, especially as it was premeditated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kfallon wrote: »
    No set of circumstances can absolve or justify a man from killing his own wife & children, especially as it was premeditated!

I am not justifying it. It's wrong under all circumstances.

Simple as that.

Dude, start digging up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I actually know someone who was Taught by that gimp almost 20 years ago, he used to tease certain boys, one boy he used to mock his accent and other boy he used to mock his weight. He uesd to put his legs up on his desk and he'd read the sun newspaper in clsss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I actually know someone who was Taught by that gimp almost 20 years ago, he used to tease certain boys, one boy he used to mock his accent and other boy he used to mock his weight. He uesd to put his legs up on his desk and he'd read the sun newspaper in class.

The f*cking monster.

I actually know someone who was Taught by that gimp almost 20 years ago, he used to tease certain boys, one boy he used to mock his accent and other boy he used to mock his weight. He uesd to put his legs up on his desk  and he'd read the sun newspaper in clsss.
    true or not im sure he'd be delighted by that the sun are currently writing about him...

• Advertisement

I actually know someone who was Taught by that gimp almost 20 years ago, he used to tease certain boys, one boy he used to mock his accent and other boy he used to mock his weight. He uesd to put his legs up on his desk and he'd read the sun newspaper in clsss.

Sounds like a match made in hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Toots wrote: »
    Most likely to be buried elsewhere or cremated and have the ashes scattered or buried elsewhere. AFAIK it was the local priest who recommended the joint funeral and burial.

Catholic Church stuck their oar in unneccesarily again at the time. Such utter bull**** talking about forgiveness in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Was a stupid decision to bury them together in the first place.

Either way all the comments about 'rot in hell' and him being cowardly and disgusting actually show a complete misunderstanding of mental health issues which he clearly suffered from and no I'm not making excuses for him.

It came out pretty soon after the murders that it wasn't his mental health that lead him to murder his wife and children but that he was an abuser and murdered them because he was about to be exposed as the vile human being he actually was and not the 'pillar of society' everyone thought he was. It's a crying shame that he was even labelled as mentally unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Considering that the priest who said the funeral Mass was a friend of Hawe, wasn't it a conflict of interest for him to say the Mass? Shouldn't he have passed on the responsibility to another priest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I wonder why it took so long to finally move his body?
    Too long for poor Clodagh and her children to be buried beside their murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Considering that the priest who said the funeral Mass was a friend of Hawe, wasn't it a conflict of interest for him to say the Mass? Shouldn't he have passed on the responsibility to another priest?

He's not a judge or a lawyer. He's a priest. Quite often a priest who is a family friend will come in and say a funeral mass instead of the local priest. So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

January wrote: »
    It came out pretty soon after the murders that it wasn't his mental health that lead him to murder his wife and children but that he was an abuser and murdered them because he was about to be exposed as the vile human being he actually was and not the 'pillar of society' everyone thought he was. It's a crying shame that he was even labelled as mentally unstable.

What was he doing to them? Who was going to out him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The fact that this scumbag was even buried alongside his victims was a huge insult, thankfully now true justice will prevail.

robbiezero wrote: »
    January wrote: »

What was he doing to them? Who was going to out him?
    did you read the post? he was abusing his wife and controlling the kids allegedly in regards to religion.
    her family have asked for donations and more awareness be made of domestic violence and domestic issues other than just violence (things like controlling finances, access to own phones free time etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Such a heartbreaking case. I do feel for Alans family (not anymore than I do for Clodagh's), I'm sure it must horrible knowing a family member was such a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

biZrb wrote: »
    Such a heartbreaking case. I do feel for Alans family (not anymore than I do for Clodagh's), I'm sure it must horrible knowing a family member was such a monster.

Well said. Alan's family also lost 3 grandchildren/nephews/cousins and a sister-in-law. They are suffering as much as Clodagh's family. My thoughts are with all of them.

did you read the post? he was abusing his wife and controlling the kids allegedly in regards to religion.
    her family have asked for donations and more awareness be made of domestic violence and domestic issues other than just violence (things like controlling finances, access to own phones free time etc)

Yes I read the post. The questions I asked were not answered in it.
    I am just interested. I have not really read that much in a long while about the case and I had not realized that they had established the reasons behind the murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Was it public knowledge at the time that Hawe was a wife beater? AFAIR metal health issues was assumed asset the time and it only came out after this want the case.

There are lots of other cases of filicide for example where there is empathy due to underlying mental health issues.

robbiezero wrote: »

Yes I read the post. The questions I asked were not answered in it.
    I am just interested. I have not really read that much in a long while about the case and I had not realized that they had established the reasons behind the murders.
    ''you said what was he doing to them'' the post you commented on sais he was abusing them, i wasnt aware you needed the ins and outs of what abuse is....
    The inquest was put on hold, there is no offical final answer but her mother and sister have been very clear in the interviews they have done and the requests they have made.

''you said what was he doing to them'' the post you commented on sais he was abusing them, i wasnt aware you needed the ins and outs of what abuse is....
    The inquest was put on hold, there is no offical final answer but her mother and sister have been very clear in the interviews they have done and the requests they have made.

Sorry, I wasn't aware there is only one single form of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I couldn't believe it and always thought it was wrong to bury him in the same grave as his wife and three lovely boys. It's completely unforgivable what he did to his family. On a day like today with the sun shining to think of where those lovely children and their mother are is horrible. I'm glad he's been moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No I'm not just don't think there's all this need for calling him scumbag etc, and reading comments on other fora for him to be thrown in the sea or dumped.

Just find that OTT.

Yeah tbh scumbag is a bit much for a man who butchered his helpless wife & children alright :rolleyes:

We all pay lip service to mental health but when the rubber meets the road, it's a different story. I should think anyone can see that the man wasn't in his right mind when he did it. All 4 are victims of mental health albeit the wife and child had nothing to do with it. I'm just glad this issue didn't affect me but I don't see the point in slagging off any one of the victims in this tragedy.

Was it public knowledge at the time that Hawe was a wife beater? AFAIR metal health issues was assumed asset the time and it only came out after this want the case.

There are lots of other cases of filicide for example where there is empathy due to underlying mental health issues.
    it wasnt public knowledge about the abuse until a few weeks after the funerals.  from what i've gathered there was an inckling from the mother but had never been openly discussed until she did an interview with her other daughter and discussed how things in Ireland go on behind closed doors that arnt discussed and how domestic violence can be more than just physical abuse. 'It as noted in the interview that he was not an ill man who suffered years of torment and actual quote from the interview:
    ''Let me be perfectly clear here, Alan Hawe was not a man suffering from mental illness who broke down in the end with tragic circumstances. Alan Hawe was a controlling, manipulative man, who appeared to those who knew him to be the perfect teacher, neighbour, husband and father.''
    he was a bully and a cold blooded murderer and needs to be remembered as such

We all pay lip service to mental health but when the rubber meets the road, it's a different story. I should think anyone can see that the mad wasn't in his right mind when he did it. All 4 are victims of mental health. I'm just glad this issue didn't affect me but I don't see the point in slagging off any one of the victims in this tragedy.

Who slagged off the 'victims' in this tragedy? :confused:

• Advertisement

We all pay lip service to mental health but when the rubber meets the road, it's a different story. I should think anyone can see that the mad wasn't in his right mind when he did it.  All 4 are victims of mental health. I'm just glad this issue didn't affect me but I don't see the point in slagging off any one of the victims in this tragedy.

Who slagged off the 'victims' in this tragedy? :confused:
    i think the poster believes that Alan was a victim of mental illness so therefore non compos mentis when the act occurred, therefore removing his guilt.

the timeline and facts of the case would disgree but each to their own.

Advertisement