Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of Alan Hawe to be exhumed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    According to the Irish times article, his family gave permission to exhume him because of a note he left stating that he wished to be cremated.

Surely, gardaí would have informed Alan Hawe's brothers and their parents of this note before the wake took place, wouldn't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Should never have been buried with them in the first place. What a cowardly disgusting man, may he rot in hell or wherever he ends up

According to one report, he had left a note in which he had expressed a wish to be cremated and to have his ashes scattered in the sea. If this is so, whose idea was it to bury him with the wife and children he had just murdered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Catholic teaching frowns on cremation

It seems to be a very orchestrated "perfect family picture" being portrayed right up until the end

snowflaker wrote: »

It seems to be a very orchestrated "perfect family picture" being portrayed right up until the end

If Alan Hawe's brothers and their parents had insisted right from the start that his remains be cremated then, surely, the priest would have respected that.

I don't think it's frowned on by the CC, I've been to a cremation presided over by a Priest. Didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

CC is fine with Cremation. It's scattering ashes on non-consecrated ground that they have the issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think it's frowned on by the CC, I've been to a cremation presided over by a Priest. Didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

Their fine with the burning you just can't bury the ashes then in a catholic graveyard (consecrated land) it's weird the things you learn chatting to priests

So they'd be okay with you throwing them around a graveyard?

I'll never understand this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

“The Church earnestly recommends that the pious custom of burial be retained; but it does not forbid cremation, unless this is chosen for reasons which are contrary to Christian teaching.”

– The Code of Canon Law, 1985, #1176.3

Sorry, its advises against it. 1963, it dropped its outright ban, was that Vatican II? I can't imagine Pious Church goers favouring cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'd flush his ashes down the toilet. It will get to the sea eventually

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen those comments. They also said something terrible was about to be revealed and that would have destroyed his reputation. I don't think the wider public ever found out what that was though - there was all sorts of speculation from gambling to paedophilia.

If that is enough for you to be confident in the term wife-beater, then fair enough. It's not definitive enough for me.

I was under the impression that the 'revelation' had something to do with his job. Wasn't he due to attend a specially convened meeting at the school the morning he killed his family?

Surely, gardaí would have informed Alan Hawe's brothers and their parents of this note before the wake took place, wouldn't they?!

You would think so! Did someone choose to ignore it?

snowflaker wrote: »

I must admit, that thought did occur to me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

brooke 2 wrote: »
    You would think so! Did someone choose to ignore it?

Not necessarily apparently there were a few notes letters and instructions left.
    The family doesn't automatically get access to it all immediately.

If Alan Hawe's brothers and their parents had insisted right from the start that his remains be cremated then, surely, the priest would have respected that.

Cremations are very much the exception rather than the rule in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

mhge wrote: »
    This article sheds more light on the circumstances of the burial and exhumation:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/clodagh-hawes-mum-sister-fought-10391346

Juicy quotes from an unspecified 'friend' are a bit of a red-top specialty in fairness, I'd take them with a pinch of salt. The statement the Hawes released, with their names on it, flatly contradicts it, and says they gave their permission when asked and the rest of the delay was red-tape related. Which seems perfectly credible. Got the final go ahead from the council at the end of March, exhumation today.

That article also says Liam Hawe was 13 and 15 ffs. Although his age is given variously in a lot of articles, anything between 13 and 15, it's always struck me, because it seems like the kind of thing a kid that age would get annoyed and embarrassed about :(

Their fine with the burning you just can't bury the ashes then in a catholic graveyard (consecrated land) it's weird the things you learn chatting to priests

Never heard that. Guess it might depend on the priest to whom you might talk to about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What? Two of my cremated grandparents are in consecrated ground. As are about 3 other relatives. There are shelves in the graves where the ashes go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Candie wrote: »
    So they'd be okay with you throwing them around a graveyard?

I'll never understand this stuff.

That's because it's not true ;)

Tropheus wrote: »
    CC is fine with Cremation. It's scattering ashes on non-consecrated ground that they have the issue with.

I heard once on Pat Kenny that the CC had an issue with the ashes being scattered in various places. Something to do with the one 'body' being resurrected on the Last Day. Pat's comment on this 'belief' was that if God is omnipotent wouldn't he be able to gather all the scattered ashes together to make them back into the body again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To the best of my knowledge both Clodagh and Alan were religious from articles I read at the time so the local priest probably knew both of them.
    In one of the articles I read that somebody posted Clodagh's family said
    “She had no idea she was in danger. If she had known she would have acted to prevent it and safeguard the boys and herself.''
    “We need to learn to recognise where dangers lie in the home, see how the desire for control can get out of control and act before it is too late.”
    I think the family probably thought he was controlling but they probably wrote it off at the time. Lets face it we all know controlling husbands and wives but we say to ourselves they're just the boss or they're make you miserable to live with but we wouldn't imagine them doing that.

When I think about them being buried together I know it wouldn't be something I'd choose but I do know certain people and they'd forgive their family and want to be buried with them.
    Does anybody know whats happening to him now? Is he being cremated or being buried somewhere else? Hopefully he'll be buried somewhere else now and he won't be cremated because if he was his ashes could be scattered anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Never heard that. Guess it might depend on the priest to whom you might talk to about it.

Historically Catholicism didn't care for cremation; much for the same reasons that Jehovahs don't like blood transfusions, Rastas sometimes make a decision to not cut their hair, quite good few religions forbid tattoos - you're supposed to stay as close as possible to the physical state you were in coming into the world, or not interfere with that state if God makes changes to it (like your hair growing or if you're bleeding to fcuking death in the case of the JWs), so that when Judgement comes and the righteous are resurrected God recognises you, and you're able to literally rise up from the grave.

Catholic hierarchy in fairness to them recognised that the no cremation rule wasn't particularly compatible with the modern world and relaxed it, and then in standard Catholic church style put weird addenda and twists on it so that what started off as a sensible change resembles the usual Third Policeman by way of Fr Ted by way of drug addled logic.

I think there was a kerfuffle earlier this year or last year when they released a memo that they'd discussed it and decided that scattering ashes on unconsecrated ground meant it didn't count and those souls couldn't get into the Kingdom of Heaven. It was quite upsetting to people apparently who'd scattered ashes in good faith.

Anyways, there's been a no cremation policy for 19 times as long as there's been a sometimes cremation maybe we're not totally made up our minds yet policy, so most Catholics would still be not fond of it.

That seems to be the opposite of what Tropheus was told. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Juicy quotes from an unspecified 'friend' are a bit of a red-top specialty in fairness, I'd take them with a pinch of salt. The statement the Hawes released, with their names on it, flatly contradicts it, and says they gave their permission when asked and the rest of the delay was red-tape related. Which seems perfectly credible. Got the final go ahead from the council at the end of March, exhumation today.

The Coll family has spoken to that newspaper before, so I'd assume the Mirror isn't making this up out of whole cloth.

Does anybody know whats happening to him now? Is he being cremated or being buried somewhere else? Hopefully he'll be buried somewhere else now and he won't be cremated because if he was his ashes could be scattered anywhere.

I doubt that anyone who is not a relative of Alan Hawe would be any the wiser about where his ashes will be scattered - and it has been made clear that his remains will be cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hopefully the Church will learn lessons from this. I hope the media also reports the names of the victims first and only uses 'The Killer' for the perpetrator of such incidents.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/alan-hawes-family-say-they-did-not-delay-exhumation-of-his-body-35701491.html
    Now, in a statement released to Independent.ie, his family say that they have been the subject of threats from anonymous persons since the tragedy.

The Co Kilkenny family also insist that they played no part in the decision about where he was to be buried and claim they exhumed his body when requested to do so.

The statement, issued by solicitor Michael Lannigan, on behalf of the Hawe family confirmed: "This morning the exhumation of Alan Hawe took place on foot of a licence granted by Cavan County Council. The Hawe family had been requested by the Coll family to make that application. The Hawes agreed to same.

"The Hawe family had not previously been involved in the decision as to where Alan was buried."

Hopefully the Church will learn lessons from this. I hope the media also reports the names of the victims first and only uses 'The Killer' for the perpetrator of such incidents.

I have to say it really got to me how the victims were secondary players to the great chap altogether who killed them in the early reporting of the case. Worst of all was constantly referring to Clodagh not by her name, just as his wife.

The press tried to explain away their lack of mention of her by saying they couldn't get a photo of her, but you don't need a picture to call a victim by her name, not her status in relation to her murderer. It was a slight and self serving explanation.

I understand the priest was a good friend of the killer, it's possible he was in complete shock too, and if nothing else perhaps the Church should think twice about personal friends taking the lead in funeral arrangements where someone has killed someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes you can bury the ashes in a catholic graveyard. 100% sure on that as a close family member was cremated then buried.

Advertisement