Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of Alan Hawe to be exhumed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

About time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

The murders happened last August, as many would remember. The father's body is just being exhumed from the grave which he shared with his family members who perished from his acts.

Full Anglo Celt article:
    The body of Alan Hawe, the man who murdered his wife and children at their Castlerahan home late last August before taking his own life, is being exhumed this morning (scroll down for video).

Alan, his wife Clodagh (nee Coll) and their three sons Liam (14), Niall (11) and Ryan (6) were all buried together in the local cemetery after the shocking incident.

The murder suicide devastated the local community and rocked the whole country in the week that the children and their parents, both teachers, were due to go back to school.

The body of Alan Hawe, the Kilkenny-native, who was vice-principal at the local primary school, is being exhumed now in the presence of members of An Garda Siochána and an Environmental Health Officer from Cavan County Council.

Those involved in the exhumation arrived at the grave site located beside St Mary's Church in Castlerahan in the early hours of this morning, at around 5:30am. They erected a cover for privacy and work began shortly thereafter.

The exhumation is taking place after, it’s understood a licence was granted last March and, once completed, Mr Hawe’s remains must be reburied or cremated within 48 hours of being exhumed.

The bodies of the Hawes were discovered at their home in the quiet townland of Barconey near Ballyjamesduff on August 29 last year. Since then, it’s understood there has been growing pressure to have Mr Hawe’s body exhumed and removed from its burial place in the locality.

The inquest into the family’s death, meanwhile, is expected to take place later this year. Gardaí continue to treat the investigation as one of murder suicide, and have said previously that they are not looking for anyone else in relation to the deaths.

Psychologists from the National Educational Psychological Service (NEPS) were subsequently assigned to the primary schools with whom the family was linked to support and advise teachers in assisting students and staff dealing with the tragedy.

The family of Clodagh (nee Coll), who herself was a primary school teacher in Oristown, Co Meath, meanwhile have managed to raise tens of thousands of euros for national domestic violence support charity, Women’s Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Might need to change the thread title tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A septic tank is too good for his remains

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to say I think it's reaching yet a new low for the Celt going and getting a photo of the exhumation in progress.
    It's a regional paper that's gone from low to low, riddled with spelling mistakes, name errors and their idea of news is 10 pages of reports from the courts on who was caught drunk driving or beating his missus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Should never have been buried with them in the first place. What a cowardly disgusting man, may he rot in hell or wherever he ends up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

The thread title and the first post implies four people were killed this morning in Cavan with is incorrect and a bit disgusting to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Should never have been buried with them in the first place. What a cowardly disgusting man, may he rot in hell or wherever he ends up

Huh? My understanding is he has to be put back. What was he exhumed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

Poor choice of thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

He doesn't have to be put back, he has to be re buried anywhere or cremated within 48hrs of being exhumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He has to be reburied (or cremated), but that will happen elsewhere, I imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

osarusan wrote: »
    He has to be reburied (or cremated), but that will happen elsewhere, I imagine.

He's being transferred to the crematorium in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

is there an examination taking place or his his body being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

kfallon wrote: »
    Might need to change the thread title tbh!

Done

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most likely to be buried elsewhere or cremated and have the ashes scattered or buried elsewhere. AFAIK it was the local priest who recommended the joint funeral and burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No sign of an examination, nor can I imagine any reason for one - the facts are well known.

I'd say this is just the family removing a murderer from the grave of his victims.

No sign of an examination, nor can I imagine any reason for one - the facts are well known.

I'd say this is just the family removing a murderer from the grave of his victims.
    bit random that they did it in the first place then though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think they might have been put under a bit of pressure from the priest to do it

Hrududu wrote: »

I think they might have been put under a bit of pressure from the priest to do it
    oh okay. wasnt there stuff about the mother in law saying she has forgiven him and thats why they are buried together? that she wanted it? seems to have changed her mind i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was a stupid decision to bury them together in the first place.

Either way all the comments about 'rot in hell' and him being cowardly and disgusting actually show a complete misunderstanding of mental health issues which he clearly suffered from and no I'm not making excuses for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Toots wrote: »
    AFAIK it was the local priest who recommended the joint funeral and burial.

Typical.

murpho999 wrote: »

Either way all the comments about 'rot in hell' and him being cowardly and disgusting actually show a complete misunderstanding of mental health issues which he clearly suffered from and no I'm not making excuses for him.

Yes, yes you are!

to be fair i think it was pretty clearly outlined at the time that it wasnt mental health issues that he had,  it was that he was a wife beater who was about to be outted so to prevent the fall from grace killed him family. its a bit unfair on people who have actual health health issues to lump this guy in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thousands upon thousands of people have mental health issues and manage to not murder their entire immediate family.

Yes, yes you are!

No I'm not just don't think there's all this need for calling him scumbag etc, and reading comments on other fora for him to be thrown in the sea or dumped.

Just find that OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Thousands upon thousands of people have mental health issues and manage to not murder their entire immediate family.

I was just about to post this - using "mental health issues" as an excuse for this mans behaviour makes me sick. It taints all people who do have mental health issues and dont murder people. It attaches more stigma to something that is already riddled with it.

to be fair i think it was pretty clearly outlined at the time that it wasnt mental health issues that he had,  it was that he was a wife beater who was about to be outted so to prevent the fall from grace killed him family. its a bit unfair on people who have actual health health issues to lump this guy in with them.

If that is true than it's entirely different of course.

Yes, yes you are!

No I'm not just don't think there's all this need for calling him scumbag etc, and reading comments on other fora for him to be thrown in the sea or dumped.  

Just find that OTT.
    he was a controlling wife beater who rather than face the consequences of people finding out, murdered his wife and children in their beds. while having the peace of mind to leave  a number of notes and letters to people explaining his reasoning. he left a fecking note on the back door telling his wifes mam to call the gardai and not to come in. thats not someone whos in a bipolar or manic state or rage, thats a calculated cold blooded murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

It's actually you who is naive

• Advertisement

Just find that OTT.

Yeah tbh scumbag is a bit much for a man who butchered his helpless wife & children alright :rolleyes:

Advertisement