Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steely Dan finally to return to Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whilst that is technically true, you can book (air) or pull a radio ad at incredibly short notice, and I mean less than an hour - I have done this in the past. The recorded ads are (in most cases) sent to the radio stations digitally. Scheduling and booking can be done almost at will thereafter.

Indeed, but expecting that from RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Nal wrote: »
    Indeed, but expecting that from RTE?

Yes. It can be, and is often done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm sure Walter would say "The gig must go on".

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I'm sure Walter would say "The gig must go on".

I think that's been the general idea in 2017 throughout his illness, so don't see it changing now, sad and all that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 venderkatz1

Any one like to trade Monday Dan tickets for Saturday 28th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 venderkatz1

Any one like to trade Monday Dan tickets for Saturday 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Stage Times for tonight according to Twitter. Same times for Monday night too:

The Doobie Brothes - 7.35
    Steely Dan - 9.15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭samo

Thank-you, stuck in traffic on the quays and was thinking we were cutting it fine if 7pm was stage time for the doobie bros!

How was it tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Someone kept plugging out the mikes on the Doobie Bros.

Other than that, fantastic!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Someone kept plugging out the mikes on the Doobie Bros.

Other than that, fantastic!

There's a few videos on Youtube now on the gig last night. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Would anyone have a setlist for Saturday's gig ?

Leilak wrote: »
    Would anyone have a setlist for Saturday's gig ?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steely-dan/2017/3arena-dublin-ireland-3e309fb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fenry

Doobies were ok - I can't really warm to them without Michael McDonald. They reminded me a bit of Ron Burgundy's gang - rooted in the late 70s california vibe. The sound cutting out 4 times was shocking and not their fault.

Steely Dan were unbelievable - two Donald Fagen solo songs and a Walter Becker solo song included in the set as well as the SD faves. Aja had a drum solo that went on for ages. Cracking bass and lead guitarists. Three gorgeous backing singers who really added to the classiness of the gig.

It was really one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Better than when I saw them in UK in 2007 and 2009 - I think Donald has been liberated in some way by the absence/ demise of Walter. He was like a cross between stevie wonder and ray charles at the keyboards - totally immersed in his art.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

Simply amazing performance by Donald & co.

https://flic.kr/p/ZQy3BG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Sound pretty good on Doobies so far and they also made a joke about no sound problems tonite.

Auditorium full as of now, no lurkers in bar area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Good night, a bit subdued being a bank holiday Monday but a great set and Donald is a surprisingly charismatic frontman. I think I'd prefer a solo show of his and in a smaller venue (which I think he's touring in the US).

Didn't notice any great difference in tonite's sound quality than last night but I may have been just lucky last night.

Any other reviews of last night? I was there Saturday night and was toying with the idea of heading down last night to see if I could pick up a cheap ticket, didn't seem to be any on Toutless.

Would be interested to hear from someone who was there Saturday and last night and which night they preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Judged on its own merits, last night was superb, but I can't compare to the first show. They did a few songs last night that they didn't do on Saturday: Green Earrings, Babylon Sisters, Josie and Don't Take Me Alive, as opposed to Black Friday, Book of Liars, Godwhacker and Green Flower Street, which were done on the first night, but not last night. The rest of the set was the same, albeit in a slightly different order.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Doobie Brothers were a surprising highlight for me on Monday. Yes, Steely Dan were absolutely spot on, couldn't fault them, technically brilliant, great backing singers, superb guitar work, drums and brass but just didn't know just how good, and how much energy a bunch of nearly 70 year olds could pump up with true rock n funk that was the Doobies.
    Sound was perfect for both so all gremlins must have been ironed out at that point.

A great memory.

• Advertisement

Auditorium full as of now, no lurkers in bar area.

On that point, a lot of (mostly over 60's ) people arrived AFTER the Doobies played- they missed a massive part of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

I thought the bass ( bass and drums ) on the doobie brothers was too much. Couldn't hear any detail of guitars etc
    Steely dan was ok till halfway and it was all pushed to the limit. Thought the sound system couldn't take it
    Anyone agree?

I thought the bass ( bass and drums ) on the doobie brothers was too much. Couldn't hear any detail of guitars etc
    Steely dan was ok till halfway and it was all pushed to the limit. Thought the sound system couldn't take it
    Anyone agree?

Not really. I was standing for the whole concert so thought the sound quality was good overall. Would have preferred to sit for SD but was able to move around so never noticed bad sound quality throughout the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

Not really. I was standing for the whole concert so thought the sound quality was good overall. Would have preferred to sit for SD but was able to move around so never noticed bad sound quality throughout the evening.

Maybe it was where the wheelchair area is located causing some kind of bass trap. Such a shame as next time will consider leaving my mate at home so I don't have to sit up there.
    It was so good at the old point. So much for progress

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fenry

The first night - Doobies was a disaster from a sound quality perspective ( sometimes very muffled but also too shrill at times) and the sound failed 3-4 times. I think people going the second night got a much better experience.

I just wish I had shelled out to go both nights - loved Steely Dan on the Saturday and won't be seeing them much again in future I'd say. At least I have seen them three times (2007 Aintree, 2009 Edinburgh and 2017 Dublin).

Going to see Toto in April - Vicar street - to get another fix of yacht rock.

Advertisement