Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Tony O' Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sicknotexi wrote: »
    Tony O' Donoghue

Martin O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Infected? Rugby was always popular just since 1999/2000 the provinces have started playing more often and more importantly the provinces and national side have actually won some things.

I think you misunderstood my point. I was saying that corporate jargon has infected every inch of Irish society, not Rugby has infected Irish society! And that the way rugby players and pundits speak is an example of this, as is also the case in GAA.

I like rugby. I don't like listening to rugby pundits who feel the need to repeat the phrase "in terms of" in every sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think you misunderstood my point. I was saying that corporate jargon has infected every inch of Irish society, not Rugby has infected Irish society! And that the way rugby players and pundits speak is an example of this, as is also the case in GAA.

I like rugby. I don't like listening to rugby pundits who feel the need to repeat the phrase "in terms of" in every sentence.

I'm lost............................... Anyone else?

I'm lost............................... Anyone else?

I was responding to something posted a while back that I had missed. Probably shouldn't have bothered. Never mind, back to annoying cúnts.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ok..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Amy Huberman wrote a comedy for RTE which is on next week.....like Vogue, this is the best ****e they come up with since losing sport coverage and other stuff

another unfunny talentless bint who the "u ok hun" brigade lap up

also anyone who describes themselves as an influencer

Conor O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Amy Huberman wrote a comedy for RTE which is on next week.....like Vogue, this is the best ****e they come up with since losing sport coverage and other stuff

Amy Huberman had two chances in the UK (barring cameos)-oncee with Threesome, and once with a one season appearance in Cold Feet.

It's not happening for her in the UK, so RTE throw money at her to give her more work... :confused:
    Nobody else is getting the chance-Kerry Condon's even retreating back to Ireland because it's not happening for her either.

If you can't 'give away' talent-then maybe they're not talented? Eh RTE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Conor O'Brien.

Who? Do you mean Conan O Brien?

• Advertisement

Who? Do you mean Conan O Brien?

Googled him-he's a singer. Never heard of him either, so mustn't be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Does the person need to exist? John Redcorn.

Nothing against Huberman personally but she seems a very one dimensional actor . Too many closeups of her gazing into the distance , moody photography, she doesn’t ACT enough. She was at her best years ago in The Clinic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

764dak wrote: »

From King of the Hill?

Squatter wrote: »

From King of the Hill?
    Yes

Googled him-he's a singer
    Never heard of him either, so mustn't be a good one.

Conor OBrien. Irish singer from Villagers. A very well known act to those interested in indie music scene. And one of the most respected Irish acts of recent times. He/they have appeared Jools holland, for example.

Im shocked there are famous people you dont know. You can add him to your catalogue of celeb knowledge. Youre welcome :D

Some decent tunes. I have no real reason to dislike him, I just get the impression he's smug and pretentious. So, he's perfect for this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Yes

I think you meant to say

Yes

Fair enough.

I could understand someone disliking Peggy Hill, or that idiot niece of hers (the one with the good body and the silly puppets), but I always regarded JR as an oasis of calm sanity among all the nutters!

Nothing against Huberman personally but she seems a very one dimensional actor . Too many closeups of her gazing into the distance , moody photography, she doesn’t ACT enough. She was at her best years ago in The Clinic .
    She was also very good in that RTÉ legal series 'Striking Out'. It was a woeful show, really badly written and produced, but that wasn't her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

She was also very good in that RTÉ legal series 'Striking Out'. It was a woeful show, really badly written and produced, but that wasn't her fault.

Actually thought that was a very good show (by RTE standards)

Speaking of RTE, I can’t stand Ryle Nugent. Good commentator and obviously will always be remembered for the Grand Slam 2009, but as head of sport, he lost TV rights to so much, Rugby World Cup, Pro14, Six Nations, Final 2 days of the Irish Open. For a Rugby man, it’s unreal that he lost so much (or unwilling to bid enough). And he hasn’t done much with the GAA or soccer either. Only 31 championship games per season because they were happy with the current arrangement, even though there are more games than ever. League of Ireland coverage is as infrequent as ever.

• Advertisement

CK22 wrote: »

Speaking of RTE, I can’t stand Ryle Nugent. Good commentator and obviously will always be remembered for the Grand Slam 2009, but as head of sport, he lost TV rights to so much, Rugby World Cup, Pro14, Six Nations, Final 2 days of the Irish Open. For a Rugby man, it’s unreal that he lost so much (or unwilling to bid enough). And he hasn’t done much with the GAA or soccer either. Only 31 championship games per season because they were happy with the current arrangement, even though there are more games than ever. League of Ireland coverage is as infrequent as ever.

It's simply impossible for RTE Sport to compete with the dedicated commercial sports channels. Even a big hitter like BBC has lost loads of sports to the likes of Sky.

Furthermore, everytime that there's an Irish success, RTE are expected to cover the sport in question, no matter how relatively minor that sport may be (recent examples off the top of my head include: women's hockey, rowing, equestrian, womens boxing, (aka the Katie Taylor show) and (a personal gripe of mine) the Winter Olympics) and then there's things like the special olympics and the paralympics which seem to take place much more frequently than once every 4 years).

Trying to keep every Irish sporting interest sweet with a very limited budget must be a complete nightmare for Ryle and whoever his replacement is

Squatter wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I could understand someone disliking Peggy Hill, or that idiot niece of hers (the one with the good body and the silly puppets), but I always regarded JR as an oasis of calm sanity among all the nutters!

Except for impregnating multiple women.

Except for impregnating multiple women.

It's consensual and it's paleface women, so it's hardly a hanging offence (although it may be a well-hung one!)

Conor OBrien. Irish singer from Villagers. A very well known act to those interested in indie music scene. And one of the most respected Irish acts of recent times. He/they have appeared Jools holland, for example.

Im shocked there are famous people you dont know. You can add him to your catalogue of celeb knowledge. Youre welcome :D

Some decent tunes. I have no real reason to dislike him, I just get the impression he's smug and pretentious. So, he's perfect for this thread.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't know everything. And he's also not famous, Indie scene and all. So there...I am rubber, you are glue, etc ;)
    (I'm also not much for radio, anymore-the few times I do put the radio on, I don't hear his music).

CK22 wrote: »

I do laugh at the ways they try to hide Rory Keenan being a short-@r$e. He's only 5 ft 7, a mere four inches taller than Amy. So when you watch Striking out, you see a lot of scenes where the ladies are sitting down, or the guys are leaning forward on the table while he stands.

Or he leaves before the actress, so they can trick the perspective, either by putting him in high shoes (out of camera) or she (usually Amy, but can be other actresses) is wearing flat heels instead of high heels.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it. :D

Well, he 'stepped down' (ie more than likely was fired) after losing the rugby rights.
    Had promise as a presenter, then turned into a bland, bland individual.

I find Peter Collins inexplicably boring too-he's absolutely harmless, but I find him so devoid of energy that he sort of saps mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'd ride her.

Seconded.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't know everything. And he's also not famous, Indie scene and all. So there...I am rubber, you are glue, etc ;)
    (I'm also not much for radio, anymore-the few times I do put the radio on, I don't hear his music).

Contrary to your opinion more like! :D

He (as Villagers) really is very well known. Becoming a Jackal was widely acclaimed in mainstream media and was also nominated for a Mercury Prize. They are signed to Domino Records with the likes of Alex Turner, so maybe "indie" was the wrong term. As far as talented guitar-based bands/songwriters go, they've done a lot.

Have a listen and tell me if he strikes you as a talented, yet oddly smug, little fella. Here they are at Glastonbury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBIIILbHWE

Contrary to your opinion more like! :D

He (as Villagers) really is very well known. Becoming a Jackal was widely acclaimed in mainstream media and was also nominated for a Mercury Prize. They are signed to Domino Records with the likes of Alex Turner, so maybe "indie" was the wrong term. As far as talented guitar-based bands/songwriters go, they've done a lot.

Have a listen and tell me if he strikes you as a talented, yet oddly smug, little fella. Here they are at Glastonbury

(You'd be surprised-I get the 'How do you know all this stuff?' too often- what can I say, obscure stuff gets into my brain, can't explain why).

Sorta reminds me of Morrissey meets Republic of Loose. Tbf, he's the only one that took the effort to shave, and get a haircut.

I tried to find some of their music videos-and some of them have less views than really, really, really ancient bands (Derek Ryan's old group, D-Side for one, have more views than The Villager's 4 yr old music vids).

He does come across as a bit pretentious-like, if The Villagers make it mainstream, then he might become a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

I used to love The Immediate but could never take to his solo work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Eamonn DeValera. The old folk think he was some sort of demigod but the more I read up on him the more I realise he was a useless leader who traded on his Rising story his whole life.

Advertisement