Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Met a couple of tractors with turf hoppers getting transported this morning on the tullamore bypass heading west.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I says wrote: »
    Met a couple of tractors with turf hoppers getting transported this morning on the tullamore bypass heading west.
    A friend of ours works on a hopper and they have been cutting all week. Great weather for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Hopefully will get mine cut this week. Would be nice to get a few nice days after to form a skin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Ours cut here last Friday.little lady could walk around on it yesterday evening,dosent be long drying..lads were taking it in turns on the machinery over the weekend while the weather is good.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Hopper turf cut a week ago, spreading it already, serious weather.
    Marked it into sods the day it was cut, probably five 10 x 6 trailers.
    Corncrake flat out in the nettles up at the top.
    Sunshine, fresh air, exercise, no phone coverage.

• Advertisement

Hard to beat it.Should have around the same amount here.any idea how many of the ton bags would be in a 10x6 trailer load?

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Hard to beat it.Should have around the same amount here.any idea how many of the ton bags would be in a 10x6 trailer load?

Im not sure to be honest, I would guess at around maybe 6 x tonne bags to a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not cutting any this year bad quality turf the best of years and with the price of oil might fill up every tank I can get my hands on I just informed my turf machine guy not very impressed grumpy ould foocker the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

How can the price of turf compete with Oil at the moment I can buy a gallon of kerosene for under €2, a bag of turf is €2.50 at the local hardware store. Unless you're 100% solid fuel I wouldn't go next to near a bog this year. From what I've heard the price of the hooper has gone up with all these lads off work are in the bog these days.
    You'd want your head tested as it's pure slavery,
    "Caveman stuff" -Pilgrim Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Some people like the turf fire and I like it myself on a cold winters evening, I might buy a trailer of good black turf later on in the year.

• Advertisement

kerryjack wrote: »
    Some people like the turf fire and I like it myself on a cold winters evening, I might buy a trailer of good black turf later on in the year.
    +1
    We are not getting any cut this year but I will buy a trailer load. I like the fire in the depths of Winter.

I agree and disagree with all the above..If I had to pay €2.50 a bag i would be filling oil tanks too..
    There is a bit of work to the bog but it's not bad by any means,there are a lot worse jobs out there.The days of the wheelbarrow and donkey and carts are long gone and if not they should be.its not hard to have the gear for the bog,there won't be a back bent until it's time to bring it home.we will spend a day den bringing it home,plan on filling 15 or 20 ton bags this year to cut down on the handling,Will draft in the brother that day and he will get ton bags as he wants them over the winter.He dosent use turf as such but he would light the fire over Xmas etc...
    Can't wait until ours is fit for turning and 3 generations from this house can head of in the evenings and get away from all the bad news on the television because there's all that's on it.
    In a normal year there was manys an evening spent talking to the neighbours and very little work done but that's all part of it..No harm to get the kids away from the tv and computers too...

How can the price of turf compete with Oil at the moment I can buy a gallon of kerosene for under €2, a bag of turf is €2.50 at the local hardware store. Unless you're 100% solid fuel I wouldn't go next to near a bog this year. From what I've heard the price of the hooper has gone up with all these lads off work are in the bog these days.
    You'd want your head tested as it's pure slavery,
    "Caveman stuff" -Pilgrim Hill

Was it the wet turf last year put you off it, you must be robbed buying homestead firelighters
    "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent, forfty per cent of all people know that." - Homer J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

great news on corncrake.
    Where are you based, coastal Galway/Mayo or NW Donegal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Was it the wet turf last year put you off it, you must be robbed buying homestead firelighters
    "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent, forfty per cent of all people know that." - Homer J.

Wet turf last year +1
    Cost of a hopper of turf this year has gone up, Oil is gone cheap
    I've no help, Imagine the misery of facing into a dozen hoopers of turf by yourself and maybe get eaten by midgets for good measure.
    All my help are gone working, good jobs, why would they waste their time f-acting with turf.
    I know its nice to sit in front of the fire in the evening, I've a stove and burn mainly timber, its warmer and cleaner plus you don't have the buckets of ashes you get from turf.
    Turf is a dying game, all it would take now is a wet year or two and most of the Self flagellation turf lovers would come to their senses

great news on corncrake.
    Where are you based, coastal Galway/Mayo or NW Donegal?

Deepest darkest Mayo, mullet peninsula

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My missus is from belmullet. Can never understand why they bring the turf to the side of the road down there and dont bring it home to a shed?. Seems like a lot of messing.

My missus is from belmullet. Can never understand why they bring the turf to the side of the road down there and dont bring it home to a shed?. Seems like a lot of messing.

Yeah I've never seen that tbh, im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Wet turf last year +1
    Cost of a hopper of turf this year has gone up, Oil is gone cheap
    I've no help, Imagine the misery of facing into a dozen hoopers of turf by yourself and maybe get eaten by midgets for good measure.
    All my help are gone working, good jobs, why would they waste their time f-acting with turf.
    I know its nice to sit in front of the fire in the evening, I've a stove and burn mainly timber, its warmer and cleaner plus you don't have the buckets of ashes you get from turf.
    Turf is a dying game, all it would take now is a wet year or two and most of the Self flagellation turf lovers would come to their senses

You get it, I’ve been saying that for years you need hands in the bog.
    Nothing worse than busting your hole at a hopper on your own and 5/6 appear in the plot beside and pass ya out for sport after an hour and all you can see is another 70 yards of torture 8 rows wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Neighbours so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What are the rules write turf cutting - is there a ‘for personal consumption’ type rule? ;)

Not being from a turf cutting area, I don’t know much about it...

But something in me doesn’t agree with the cutting and selling of turf. I think fair enough if it’s your own bank and you’re cutting it for yourself...

I says wrote: »
    You get it, I’ve been saying that for years you need hands in the bog.
    Nothing worse than busting your hole at a hopper on your own and 5/6 appear in the plot beside and pass ya out for sport after an hour and all you can see is another 70 yards of torture 8 rows wide.
    Ah, your overthinking it :)
    TBH I enjoy the peace and tranquility of the bog but I hate the midges and the feckin monotonous/continuous call of the cuckoo - it would nearly drive you insane.
    We are lucky in that our bank is in a small bog and only one other family cuts on our side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »
    Ah, your overthinking it :)
    TBH I enjoy the peace and tranquility of the bog but I hate the midges and the feckin monotonous/continuous call of the cuckoo - it would nearly drive you insane.
    We are lucky in that our bank is in a small bog and only one other family cuts on our side of it.

We have a bit of bog attached to my place in the West - haven't bothered with it for the last few years with the low price of oil but always enjoyed the lovely uplifting tune of the Skylarks when working in it. Probably my favourite sound of the Spring:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    We have a bit of bog attached to my place in the West - haven't bothered with it for the last few years with the low price of oil but always enjoyed the lovely uplifting tune of the Skylarks when working in it. Probably my favourite sound of the Spring:)
    I used to have to tie my Rotties to a bush when I went because they insisted on hunting frogs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Down the bog and the aul cup'een a tae and the few ham sandwiches talking sh*te about the old days and paddy down the road

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Down the bog and the aul cup'een a tae and the few ham sandwiches talking sh*te about the old days and paddy down the road
    Nothing wrong with it.

Turf is cut, 10 sods per hopper. Last 2 years, the turf was box footed and then home. Hoping to do the same again if the weather plays ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd say they like to reek it up so it would season for a year before burning. Might dry better than in a shed or maybe not enough room in the shed at home because these turf addicts usually like to be well ahead with stock. Probably never see the back wall of the turf shed!

Not cutting this year thankfully, I hate the bog and much prefer timber which we have plenty of around here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'd say they like to reek it up so it would season for a year before burning. Might dry better than in a shed or maybe not enough room in the shed at home because these turf addicts usually like to be well ahead with stock. Probably never see the back wall of the turf shed!

Not cutting this year thankfully, I hate the bog and much prefer timber which we have plenty of around here

IT does be in ****e on the side of the road not even covered. Id be from a big bnm area here in North Kildare. My dad grew up in a village built for bnm workers so i enjoy winding them up about turf when i go down. They seem to have far more handling on turf than we do. Ours is just box footed and home in a few weeks whereas they do be spreading it, reckling it and then drawing it out to the road.

• Advertisement

Aravo wrote: »
    Turf is cut, 10 sods per hopper. Last 2 years, the turf was box footed and then home. Hoping to do the same again if the weather plays ball.

Turf now box footed. No turning. Great weather for the auld turf. Turf is 2 weeks ahead compared with 2019

Advertisement